Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Feature comparison updates?
Feature comparison updates?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject:

OOo 3.2.0 RC is out, so I guess we'll want to compare 3.0.2 to it, assuming they'll both be released at about the same time?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
OOo 3.2.0 RC is out, so I guess we'll want to compare 3.0.2 to it, assuming they'll both be released at about the same time?

Makes sense to me. Fran or I will also try to update the performance comparison page after I make the NeoOffice 3.0.2 build available to Early Access Program members about a week before the 2 February 2009 release date.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Boy, that fake highlighting is ugly and distracting! It's gotten even worse than it used to be in OOo 3.0.x! Razz

Also, OOo 3.2 appears to have lost the ability to connect to Address Book and any(?) external databases! Shocked

That said, I think I've more-or-less updated the feature comparison page, though once 3.2 is out, we'll have to update the language/hardware numbers to match what they're shipping.

I'd appreciate it if people with access to MS Office and access to Mac hardware (multitouch trackpads, Apple Remotes) would double-check Office and OOo for support of these technologies, as well as for any cell that has a ? or (?) entry in it. [? means we have no idea; (?) with a check or X means we have reason to presume that value, but we have not verified it.]

Also, are there any notable enhancements in OOo 3.2 that people would care about that we should list, in the interests of providing a balanced comparison?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Boy, that fake highlighting is ugly and distracting! It's gotten even worse than it used to be in OOo 3.0.x! Razz

Also, OOo 3.2 appears to have lost the ability to connect to Address Book and any(?) external databases! Shocked

Thanks for updating the NeoWiki article.

I also noticed the new grayish highlighting color (still drawn on top of the text instead of under the text) and the strange border line around the edge of the highlighted area in a recent OpenOffice.org 3.2 RC release. I did not notice that they broke native Address Book support. I wonder what other surprises are in there. Sad

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Well, Neo 3.0.2 might beat OOo 3.2 out after all; they're now on RC4, I see Razz

I tried to see what was new in rc4 on this page, but it looks like it's just the last RC page renamed Razz

I do wonder if the "Configuration based database drivers" item in the big huge table is the thing that broke Address Book integration in 3.2 ("we're making this change, but we aren't going to port it to every driver currently in the tree")?

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Makes sense to me. Fran or I will also try to update the performance comparison page after I make the NeoOffice 3.0.2 build available to Early Access Program members about a week before the 2 February 2009 release date.

OOo 3.2.0 RC5 came out yesterday so instead of waiting any longer for a stable version I went ahead and updated the Performance Comparison page on the NeoWiki using NeoOffice 3.0.2 and OpenOffice.org 3.1.1.

I did not see any singificant time changes between NeoOffice 3.0 (the last compared version) and NeoOffice 3.0.2 apart from some speed improvements in slide shows.

However OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 is much slower printing than the previously tested OpenOffice.org 3.1.

-- fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:
However OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 is much slower printing than the previously tested OpenOffice.org 3.1.

I thought something was wrong with the presentation printing figures when I saw Fran's NeoWiki change, but I can confirm that they are accurate.

Apparently, if you have a gradient as the background, OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 will break the page into small blocks and will draw the gradient in each block as a super high resolution image. This not only causes the PDF size to be massive, but it also causes any text to be turned into a bitmap. Also, you will see a slight gap between all of the images in the PDF output.

I will have to remember to disable this new code when we upgrade NeoOffice to the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I will have to remember to disable this new code when we upgrade NeoOffice to the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code.

Yes, please do remember. This sounds truly horrific!

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Do they understand the point of PDF that poorly?

Best wishes,
Oscar

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject:

Actually, I think I understand why OOo 3.1.1 might render gradients instead of putting them in PDF:

I tried printing a presentation with gradients on a common laser printer, and it took forever to render on that computationally underpowered printer.

So, I think that for PDF, it would be smart to keep the gradient as code and not render it. For printing, rendering gradients into bitmaps could save a lot of processing time. But only if it can be done without compromising quality too much.

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
So, I think that for PDF, it would be smart to keep the gradient as code and not render it. For printing, rendering gradients into bitmaps could save a lot of processing time. But only if it can be done without compromising quality too much.

Rendering to bitmaps will also leave a nice set of white grid lines between the bitmaps and any text will be rasterized and jagged. In other words, quality will also be compromised when using bitmaps.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject:

Hammering a square peg into a round hole might be possible but it's certain to create a lot of splinters. Smile
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Better let the printer take its time then Wink.

-Oz

grahamperrin
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: NeoOffice on Wikipedia: updates and outstanding tasks

I made a few rounds of changes to the Wikipedia page for NeoOffice.

AFAICT the history table there is incorrect, currently suggesting that NeoOffice 3.1.1 and 3.0.2 are based on OpenOffice.org 3.2. I don't know the history well enough to make changes there, so might someone else contribute?

Thanks
grahamperrin
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Comparing NeoOffice with Go-OO, IBM® Lotus® Symphonyâ„¢ et

grahamperrin wrote:
… the Wikipedia page for NeoOffice … might someone else contribute?

It would be neat to see comparisons summarised within the neooffice.org domain.

Where best to do this?

FWIW I expected the FAQ to include a link to a page that offers comparisons.

Other pages that caught my eye whilst figuring out comparisons:

NeoOffice Features
NeoOffice Press Kit
go-oooooooooooooo.org
Will neoOffice have a native "Cocoa" look & fe…

Discover Go-OO!
Download Go-OO!
Lotus Symphony 3 Beta System Requirements
IBM Lotus Symphony 3 Beta 2 Release Notes
OpenOffice.org 3.0 New Features
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4