NeoOffice :: View topic - Remapping home/end
Remapping home/end

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Remapping home/end

Hey guys,

I notice that in 3.1.1 opt-left and opt-right do what I want them to do by default. Bravo! But opt-shift-left/right doesn't move by word with selection. Sad Any hope that's coming down the pipes?

My actual question though deals with remapping home and end. cmd-left, cmd-right, home and end all seem to default to the behavior that I expect from windows versions of things. Thought it was kind of odd that cmd-left and opt-left do the same thing in my default config.

I know my way around the keyboard customization more or less, and I've "fixed" cmd-left and cmd-right, but I can't seem to figure out how to customize home/end.

Is there a way?

cheers
Snarf
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:

To change the Home and End keys, select the Tools :: Customize menu. In the dialog that appears, click on the Keyboard tab like you normally do. But then make sure that the Writer radio button in the dialog's top right corner is selected. If the NeoOffice radio button is selected, Writer's Home and End keyboard shortcuts will remain in place and they will take priority over any new NeoOffice shortcuts that you set.

Do the above steps allow you to override the Home and End keys?

Patrick
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, sorry my issue is that I can't find home or end keys on the list at all. I think I am customizing in the Writer section.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Remapping home/end

snarfmason wrote:
I notice that in 3.1.1 opt-left and opt-right do what I want them to do by default. Bravo! But opt-shift-left/right doesn't move by word with selection. Sad Any hope that's coming down the pipes?

I thought this should work but when I looked at our code, I found that we had not implemented these two Mac OS X key shortcuts. Fortunately, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code has matching actions that I can forward these Mac OS X key shortcuts to so I was able to add these in our code.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the Option-Shift-Right and Option-Shift-Left keys now work for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-7-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-7-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject:

I'm on intel here.

With that patch, opt-arrows move word, and opt-shift-arrows move word with selection.

I can custom cmd-arrows to start/end of line and cmd-shift-arrows to start/end line with selection.

Very nice. Those key combos all do what I want now.
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject:

The home end issue, I have partially figured out. I just didn't know the upleft and downright arrows meant home and end, heh. I guess I'm still partially a mac newbie.

By default you have cmd-home bound "To Document Begin" and home "To Line Begin"

I think I want just home unmodified "To Document Begin" but I don't see it in the customization list. I see To Document End, and I see that cmd-home is already bound To Document Begin, but I don't actually see to doc begin in the list.
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the patch by the way!

Proper cmd/opt/shift arrows is the biggest thing I was looking for in NeoOffice. I've been a long time NeoOffice fan and it's great to see NeoOffice continues to evolve, I like it better than base OO.o, even if OO.o has a more proper Aqua UI these days.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:

snarfmason wrote:
Proper cmd/opt/shift arrows is the biggest thing I was looking for in NeoOffice. I've been a long time NeoOffice fan and it's great to see NeoOffice continues to evolve, I like it better than base OO.o, even if OO.o has a more proper Aqua UI these days.

I am confused by your last sentence. I still see no native floating windows, native modal dialogs, nor other pretty basic Mac OS X behaviors in OpenOffice.org. I know that we disabled the "pulsing" behavior in native buttons, but other than is there something else that I am missing?

Patrick
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Oh, that was very ambiguously worded.

That should have read more like:
"I like NeoOffice better than base OO.o, even if OO.o has a more proper Aqua UI than OO.o used to."

I meant that OO.o 3 was better than OO.o 2, not that it was better than NeoOffice. I was saying that I appreciate that OO.o is getting better than it used to be on the Aqua front, but NeoOffice is still a far better Mac experience.

I was concerned that as OO.o started to pay more attention to its Mac version that NeoOffice might slow down. I still think NeoOffice offers a superior Mac experience to even OO.o 3.2, which I tried out last week a little, but it couldn't sway me from NeoOffice.

I'm really glad to see you guys are still going strong.
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject:

This might be better off as a new thread, it might be a bug report.

For reference, I've cleared out my prefs and re-installed base NeoOffice 3.1.1.

When I go to customize keyboard (for writer) I see that cmd-home is bound to "To Document Begin" but I cannot find that choice in the bottom pane. I wish to bind home (with no modifier key) to that function.

I can find "To Document End" in the list, but not "To Document Begin".

I have now re-applied your patch0 test7 version to get shift-opt-arrows behaving as I want them to (great success!), and there is no change. I still can't find "To Document Begin" mentioned in the Functions pane on the customize keyboard dialog.

"Select To Document Begin" and "To Document End" are present, but I just don't see "To Document Begin" mentioned anywhere except as the current binding for cmd-home.

Thanks again for all your attention, Patrick. And keep up the great work on NeoOffice.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject:

snarfmason wrote:
I can find "To Document End" in the list, but not "To Document Begin".

That's because the OOo engineers put it in an entirely different location from all the others Razz It's in "View" instead of "Navigate" Razz

(I'm not sure if anyone ever did file a bug on it with OOo; it may be filed and still not fixed 4 years later; that wouldn't surprise me at all Razz )

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject:

Yup, OOo command items turn up with the wackiest names in the wackiest of places in the menu/command structure. You have to be quite a lateral thinker to find some of them.
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject:

Oh I see, the misplaced To Document Begin is an OO.o bug, not a Neooffice bug.

Well with that, a few remaps and the patch for shift-opt-arrows, I think all my navigation keys now behave to the Mac standard. Very nice!

Thanks for the searching help sardisson, and thanks again to Patrick for the quick turnaround on that shift-opt patch!

cheers
Snarf
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Yup, OOo command items turn up with the wackiest names in the wackiest of places in the menu/command structure. You have to be quite a lateral thinker to find some of them.

Or just go through all of the categories until you find them, which is what I recall doing in order to find "To Document Begin" all those years ago Razz

snarfmason, can you provide a list of all of the commands you had to remap? I'd like to get that info into the moribund Keyboard Shortcuts article on the wiki. (We used to have a nice downloadable set there, but since they became incompatible with several OOo updates, I haven't had the chance to keep making new ones for every release Sad )

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject:

Using TextEdit that comes with OSX as a rough guideline of keyboard navigation shortcuts should do on a Mac editing text and starting with Patrick's p0 test7 above:

home : To Document Begin (was To Line Begin)
end : To Document End (was To End of Line)
shift-home : Select to Document Begin (was Select to Begin of Line)
shift-end : Select to Document End (was Select to End of Line)

cmd-up : To Document Begin (was To Previous Paragraph)
cmd-down : To Document End (was To Next Paragraph)
shift-cmd-up : Select to Document Begin (was Select to Previous Paragraph)
shift-cmd-down : Select to Document End (was Select to Next Paragraph)

cmd-left : To Line Begin (was To Word Left)
cmd-right : To End of Line (was To Word Right)
shift-cmd-left : Select to Begin of Line (was Select to Begin of Word)
shift-cmd-right : Select to End of Line (was Select to Word Right)

Notes:

cmd-home and cmd-end seem to do nothing in particular in TextEdit. They are mapped by default to the same thing I just mapped unmodified home and end to. Likewise with shift.

cmd-up/home and cmd-down/end now do the same thing on my keyboard. That's not 100% accurate in TextEdit. In TextEdit home moves the view to the start of the document without moving the cursor, cmd-up moves both. I find it to be close enough, but there is still a slight difference in behavior.

With patrick's patch opt-left, opt-right, opt-shift-left, opt-shift-right all do word by word movement (shift with selection).

opt-up and opt-down move by paragraph, which matches. opt-shift-up and opt-shift-down don't do anything in NeoOffice, they do move by paragraph with selection in TextEdit.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4