· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Expanded Services Support
Expanded Services Support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Expanded Services Support

I really appreciate the limited services support in NeoOffice. I'm wondering if it is possible/feasible to expand it a little bit?

I'm particularly interested in Services which work with a block of selected text in a document/app, and end by pasting a new text into that document/app.

One service I'm particularly regretting not having available is "Insert NRSV" from Joe Weaks' Accordance Services package.

Another service (with a wider audience, no doubt) that I miss having access to is the Reformat service from the free Word Service collection by Devon technologies.

Right now when I need those services, I'm firing up Text Edit, using the service there, and then copying/pasting into NeoOffice.

It may be wishful thinking, but I'd like to have access to these services in Neo.

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject:

This is something I'd support, too. I seem to recall Patrick mentioning that it was at the very least non-trivial to implement, though, if not impossible. Sad

"If wishes were horses…" (or however that goes).

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
This is something I'd support, too. I seem to recall Patrick mentioning that it was at the very least non-trivial to implement, though, if not impossible. Sad

It is non-trivial, but now think it is feasible to replace the selection if the service's sends NeoOffice RTF or plain text data. The code already gets a handle to the selection to get the data to push to the service so, in theory, I just need the code to overwrite the data in the selection and it appears that the OpenOffice.org code's "selection object" may allow overwriting the selected content.

I would have to test this theory to be sure, but if a total of 10 or more donors post that they would also like to see this new feature implemented, I will start work on it. In the meantime, I will do a quick test to see if my theory is true.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Sounds pretty useful Smile.
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I would be inclined to support investigation of the feaibility of this approach to extending services available to NeoOffice.

I'm always slightly uncomfortable when I read of users having to pass via an external use of TextEdit or TextWrangler to get where they want to be.

I must stress that this comment certainly does not apply to NeoOffice alone. There are many occasions I find myself pasting M$ Word sourced content into text-only TextEdit before re-copying and pasting into another application to get rid of all the hidden stuff that gets in the way of what I'm trying to achieve - usuallly pretty simple stuff without including formatting fluff - at that moment. At least NeoOffice allows us to choose to paste unformatted text which helps most of the time when it is the target application.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject:

I can now say with some confidence that this feature is feasible and probably only a week's worth of work at most.

However, there is one small limitation: I will have to copy the text coming back to NeoOffice into the system clipboard first so that the text can be pasted over the selected text. In other words, the limitation is that you will lose the last copy action on your machine and using the Services menu in NeoOffice will be like doing a new copy.

Hopefully, that limitation is something NeoOffice users can live with when using the Services menu.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject:

It's certainly not a problem for me. I use a utility (Butler) that remembers the last several clipboard contents, so I can always retrieve recent clipboards.

Lorinda
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't be a problem for me.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have implemented this new feature. When I was testing the feasibility of this feature, I found that once I copied the data that a service pushes back to NeoOffice to the system clipboard, pasting the system clipboard into the currently selected text was pretty simple to do.

Can any of you install the following test patch and tell us if the new feature works for you? I will give everyone a week or so to test this and if there are no obvious bugs, I will include it in NeoOffice 3.1.1 Patch 1:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-10-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-10-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject:

In early testing, seems to work well for what I usually do. It's a shame it's not possible to interface directly with the Services Pasteboard for pasting back in Neo, but that's life (or, that's life with OOo Wink ). Thanks again, Patrick!

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject:

Just an FYI, I am away from home currently and won't be able to test until Wednesday at the earliest. Thought I should pipe up since I made the initial request.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject:

I tested it out with my most commonly used Services (the ones I mentioned above), and it worked well.

I've only had a chance to test on Intel. Not sure if I'll have time to test on PPC this week, but I'll post back if I do.

Thanks so much for this!!

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I have NeoOffice 3.1.1 Patch 1 staged for release with this new feature. I wanted to highlight the new feature on the main website so the following wording will appear in the main website's "news banner" section when I release the patch.

Quote:
NeoOffice 3.1.1 users:
Patch 1 expands support for Mac OS X text processing services

If anyone can translate the above text, I will add it to the main website.

Thanks,

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NeoOffice 3.1.1 users:
Patch 1 expands support for Mac OS X text processing services

Code:
NeoOffice 3.1.1 gebruikers:
Patch 1 geeft uitgebreide ondersteuning voor Mac OS X voorzieningen voor tekst bewerking

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject:

FYI. This new feature is included in NeoOffice 3.1.1 Patch 1. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice patch download page.

I have also posted Oscar's Dutch translation on the main website.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1