· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Remapping home/end
Remapping home/end

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject:

Not sure if it will be of much use since it's done in that test7 version Patrick posted, but here is an export of my keymappings.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:

snarfmason wrote:
Not sure if it will be of much use since it's done in that test7 version Patrick posted, but here is an export of my keymappings.

Only the Option-Shift-Left and Option-Shift-Right key shortcuts will not work without the test patch. But in the next few weeks we will release NeoOffice 3.1.1 Patch 1 which will include the code that I added in the test patch.

Patrick
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject:

I just wasn't sure if keyboard mappings are compatible across versions, because sardisson said something about needing new versions.

Also, Shift-Option-Up and Shift-Option-Down don't do anything. I find Shift-Option-Left and Shift-Option-Right to be far more significant, and I didn't even notice Up/Down until I was compiling the list sardisson asked for. I assume you can hook into Shift-Option Up and Down in the underlying code, if it's not a lot of work it might be worth adding.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:

snarfmason wrote:
shift-home : Select to Document Begin (was Select to Begin of Line)
shift-end : Select to Document End (was Select to End of Line)

cmd-up : To Document Begin (was To Previous Paragraph)
cmd-down : To Document End (was To Next Paragraph)
shift-cmd-up : Select to Document Begin (was Select to Previous Paragraph)
shift-cmd-down : Select to Document End (was Select to Next Paragraph)

cmd-left : To Line Begin (was To Word Left)
cmd-right : To End of Line (was To Word Right)
shift-cmd-left : Select to Begin of Line (was Select to Begin of Word)
shift-cmd-right : Select to End of Line (was Select to Word Right)

I went through the list of new actions that OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 added and found that there are now actions for the above 10 Mac OS X key shortcuts so I have enabled those key shortcuts in the following test patch.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the above 10 Mac OS X key shortcuts work for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-8-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-8-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

shift-home : Select to Document Begin (was Select to Begin of Line)
shift-end : Select to Document End (was Select to End of Line)

cmd-up : To Document Begin (was To Previous Paragraph)
cmd-down : To Document End (was To Next Paragraph)
shift-cmd-up : Select to Document Begin (was Select to Previous Paragraph)
shift-cmd-down : Select to Document End (was Select to Next Paragraph)

Those all seem to behave as desired for a mac application with the new patch test 8, as do all 4 arrows with opt or opt-shift.

However, everything but the opt-arrows and opt-shift-arrows combinations appear in the keyboard customization tool, they seem to be listed as their old mappings.

Quote:

cmd-left : To Line Begin (was To Word Left)
cmd-right : To End of Line (was To Word Right)
shift-cmd-left : Select to Begin of Line (was Select to Begin of Word)
shift-cmd-right : Select to End of Line (was Select to Word Right)

Those 4 seem to move word by word instead of to the beginning/end of line.
snarfmason
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject:

With patch test 8, opt-arrows perform word by word movement, while opt-shift-arrows perform word by word movement with selection. I believe that is standard mac app behavior.

I think all the other combinations are configurable via the keyboard customization. So it was just the four opt-shift ones that were missing really.
philippp
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I really like Home and End to be start/end of line. I managed to set this for Writer (and it works great Smile ), but I miss it in Calc.
Anyway, I would prefer setting it globally for Neooffice.

But I cannot find the entries "Start of line" and "End of line" in the list, neither in Neooffice (global) nor in Calc.

Would it be possible to add that in a future version?

Greetings from Vienna,
Philipp
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject:

philippp wrote:
But I cannot find the entries "Start of line" and "End of line" in the list, neither in Neooffice (global) nor in Calc.

In Calc, use "To Document Begin" and "To Document End" in the "Navigate" category. Those respective actions move the selected cell to the first column and last column in the currently selected cell's row.

Patrick
philippp
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
philippp wrote:

In Calc, use "To Document Begin" and "To Document End" in the "Navigate" category. Those respective actions move the selected cell to the first column and last column in the currently selected cell's row.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, but I meant something different:
When I am editing text inside a cell, I miss the functionality to go to the start / end of the text line.
(I am so used to using home/end (from the PC) that its a pain that these do not work "properly" on OSX.)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject:

philippp wrote:
When I am editing text inside a cell, I miss the functionality to go to the start / end of the text line.
(I am so used to using home/end (from the PC) that its a pain that these do not work "properly" on OSX.)

Ah. I understand now. To enable that behavior, delete Calc's existing keyboard shortcuts. This will stop Calc from intercepting the Home and End keystrokes and they will then "fall through" to the inline text editing code.

Edit by pluby: disabling the Home and End keyboard shortcuts was found to be unnecessary so there is no need to do any of the following steps.

To disable the Home and End keystrokes in Calc, do the following steps:

1. In Calc, select the Tools :: Customize menu and in the dialog that appears, click on the "Keyboard" tab.

2. Select the Calc radio button in the top right corner of the dialog, select the "Home" entry in the "Shortcut keys" section, and press the Delete button.

3. Repeat these actions for the "End" entry and press the OK button.

After doing these steps, does Home and End now work when editing the text in a cell for you?

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
philippp
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks, I understand all this.
The problem is that "go to Start of line" and "go to End of line" are only listed in Writer - not for Calc and not for NeoOffice...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject:

philippp wrote:
Thanks, I understand all this.
The problem is that "go to Start of line" and "go to End of line" are only listed in Writer - not for Calc and not for NeoOffice...

I am confused. Did the steps in my previous post work or not?

Patrick
philippp
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Mh, not really. Ill try to explain more clearly...

The customize dialog behaves somehow strange:

When I invoke the "customize" dialog while editing a Writer document, all is well (see first screenshot). I can assign "Start / End of line" (this is german version).

When I invoke the "customize" dialog while editing a Calc document, the same dialog does not contain the "Start / End of line" entries in the functions list at the bottom. See second screenshot. Further, the global assignments (upper list) show strange names for these two keys.

And the keys do not work in calc. So, Calc seems to somehow not like these keys...!?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject:

philippp wrote:
When I invoke the "customize" dialog while editing a Calc document, the same dialog does not contain the "Start / End of line" entries in the functions list at the bottom. See second screenshot. Further, the global assignments (upper list) show strange names for these two keys.

I clearly understood that you think that the Calc entries should be like Writer. I thought that I explained that Calc does not have such actions so, instead, I posted a set of steps that would enable you the Home and End keys when editing the text or formula in a Calc cell.

What I was confused about is why you did not answer my question as to where those steps worked or not.

I understand that you may not like using the steps that I posted, but moving the Writer "Start / End of line" entries to Calc or global NeoOffice entries is not feasible to implement in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code due to the significant structural differences between Writer, Calc, and Impress documents.

Edit: I forget to mention that the reason you see the strange ".uno." entries when displaying the dialog in Calc is because these are actions that only Writer supports. So, Calc cannot match any of these Writer-only ".uno." action codes to any of its supported actions so by assigning those actions to the "NeoOffice" radio button when in Writer, they will look strange in Calc, Iimpress, and Draw.

Patrick
philippp
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,
pluby wrote:

I clearly understood that you think that the Calc entries should be like Writer. I thought that I explained that Calc does not have such actions so, instead, I posted a set of steps that would enable you the Home and End keys when editing the text or formula in a Calc cell.

What I was confused about is why you did not answer my question as to where those steps worked or not.

Sorry - of course I appreciate the steps you suggested, and I followed them (I thought that it came out from my answer), but unfortunately the keys do not seem to work for me in Calc. What I wanted to indicate is my suspicion that Calc somehow does not understand these keys – I was drawing that conclusion from the fact that they have those strange names in calc, even when inherited from a global assignment. Of course this is just my theory Smile

pluby wrote:

I understand that you may not like using the steps that I posted, but moving the Writer "Start / End of line" entries to Calc or global NeoOffice entries is not feasible to implement in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code due to the significant structural differences between Writer, Calc, and Impress documents.

Ah, I understand. so this seems to be more tricky then.

pluby wrote:

Edit: I forget to mention that the reason you see the strange ".uno." entries when displaying the dialog in Calc is because these are actions that only Writer supports. So, Calc cannot match any of these Writer-only ".uno." action codes to any of its supported actions so by assigning those actions to the "NeoOffice" radio button when in Writer, they will look strange in Calc, Iimpress, and Draw.

I see. But now I am confused: If Calc does not know these actions at all, for me this sounds like there is no chance to make it work in Calc at that time (until these actions are implemented in OpenOffice Calc)? Sad((
Or am I misunderstanding this?

Philipp
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4