Remapping home/end

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject:

philippp wrote:
I see. But now I am confused: If Calc does not know these actions at all, for me this sounds like there is no chance to make it work in Calc at that time (until these actions are implemented in OpenOffice Calc)? Sad((
Or am I misunderstanding this?

Hmm. I suspect that the Home and End entries that you added when the NeoOffice radio button entries might be interfering with my steps.

Can you try the following?:

1. In Calc, select the Tools :: Customize menu and in the dialog that appears, click on the "Keyboard" tab.

2. Select the NeoOffice radio button, delete the Home and End entries, and press the OK button.

What should happen after doing the above steps is that if you double click on a cell (which puts it into text edit mode) and then press Home or End, the cursor should move to the beginning or end of the cell's text.

Does that not happen? If not, does the selected cell change?

Patrick
philippp
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Does that not happen? If not, does the selected cell change?

Thanks again for your response!

Following your steps I deleted the global assignments for the two keys in Calc.
Now, in Calc they are completely dead. Neither do they move the cursor in edit mode, nor do they move the cell selection when not in edit mode. (I checked it twice.)
But this appears just logical to me, since the keys are now unassigned?

(BTW, I have customized my OSX key mapping (so that Home/End go to Start/End of line in all applications). But since the key assignment works as expected in Writer, I do not think that this is causing the problem.)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject:

philippp wrote:
(BTW, I have customized my OSX key mapping (so that Home/End go to Start/End of line in all applications). But since the key assignment works as expected in Writer, I do not think that this is causing the problem.)

Aha! That is the problem. By default, the Mac OS X key mapping maps the Home and End keys to the following actions:

Home: scrollToEndOfDocument
End: scrollToBeginningOfDocument

NeoOffice does not handle such actions so the Home and End keys would be straight through to Calc.

You, however, changed the Mac OS X key mapping to to following:

Home: moveToBeginningOfLine
End: moveToEndOfLine

Since NeoOffice does handle such actions, the Home and End keys are no longer passed to Calc and, instead, the strange ".uno." keyboard shortcut actions that you saw are passed to Calc. Since Calc does not recognize those ".uno." actions because they are Writer only actions.

Unfortunately, since you changed your Mac OS X key mappings, the only solution that I can see that will work with your customizations without preserving the Home and End behavior for other Mac OS X applications is to add the "scrollToEndOfDocument" and "scrollToBeginningOfDocument" actions back into your Mac OS X key mappings but assign them to a different set of keys.

Patrick
HendrikPon
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
philippp wrote:

Aha! That is the problem. By default, the Mac OS X key mapping maps the Home and End keys to the following actions:

Home: scrollToEndOfDocument
End: scrollToBeginningOfDocument

NeoOffice does not handle such actions so the Home and End keys would be straight through to Calc.

You, however, changed the Mac OS X key mapping to to following:

Home: moveToBeginningOfLine
End: moveToEndOfLine

Since NeoOffice does handle such actions, the Home and End keys are no longer passed to Calc and, instead, the strange ".uno." keyboard shortcut actions that you saw are passed to Calc. Since Calc does not recognize those ".uno." actions because they are Writer only actions.

Unfortunately, since you changed your Mac OS X key mappings, the only solution that I can see that will work with your customizations without preserving the Home and End behavior for other Mac OS X applications is to add the "scrollToEndOfDocument" and "scrollToBeginningOfDocument" actions back into your Mac OS X key mappings but assign them to a different set of keys.

I have remapped the Home and End keys to the same actions.

The interesting thing is that OpenOffice Calc 3.2.1 for Mac OS X does recognize the remapped Home and End keys. They do exactly what I would like: move to the start of the current row and move to the cell in the current row, that has a non empty cell in its column.
This is new behaviour, since previous versions of OO Calc also didn't seem to react to remapped Home and End keys.

/Hendrik
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject:

HendrikPon wrote:
The interesting thing is that OpenOffice Calc 3.2.1 for Mac OS X does recognize the remapped Home and End keys. They do exactly what I would like: move to the start of the current row and move to the cell in the current row, that has a non empty cell in its column.
This is new behaviour, since previous versions of OO Calc also didn't seem to react to remapped Home and End keys.

NeoOffice 3.1.1 also does this. phillippp is trying to solve a completely different problem: setting the behavior when editing the text or formula within a cell.

In contrast, the behavior that you describe occurs when you are not editing the text or formula within a cell and that behavior is not affected by your Mac OS X key mappings. Instead, that behavior is enabled by the key shortcuts shown when you select the Tools :: Customize menu and in the dialog that appears click on the Keyboard tab. By default in Calc, in NeoOffice 3.1.1 and OpenOffice.org 3.2.1, the "To Document Begin" action is assigned to the Home key and the "To Document End" action is assigned to the End key.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject:

FYI. In a previous post I recommended disabling the Home and End keyboard shortcuts to solve the problem that phillippp was experiencing.

Later, we found that phillippp's problem was caused by custom Mac OS X mappings and so disabling those keyboard shortcuts in NeoOffice is unnecessary.

Patrick
HendrikPon
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject:

I have investigated the operation of the Home and End keys
in NeoOffice Calc 3.1.1Patch 1 and OpenOffice Calc 3.2.1
with and without a remapping of the Home and End keys with a DefaultKeyBinding.dict in Mac OS X.

To avoid mangling of the overview table I have attached a text file containing the results of the investigation.

It boils down to this:
remapping Home and End keys leads to no effect of the keys in NeoOffice Calc.

the behaviour of the Home and End keys in OpenOffice Calc 3.2.1 Calc stays the same regardless of the remapping.

/Hendrik
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the analysis. That made the issue clearer for me. To reproduce what you are seeing, I created the attached key bindings file, saved it to ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict, logged out, and logged back in.

After doing the above, I had the same results as you. OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 behaved the same as OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 so something is broken in the NeoOffice code.

I will investigate this bug over the next few days. I suspect that its cause is similar to this bug but I do not yet know why the fix for that bug does not work for the Home and End keys.

When I have found the cause and and I am able to fix this bug, I will post a test patch for you to try.

Edit by pluby: I forgot to mention that fixing this bug should also fix the problem that phillippp reported.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject:

I have created bug 3625 to track this issue.

Fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug. When NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code does not support a Mac OS X key binding (for Calc, that is "move to beginning/end of line"), OpenOffice.org expects that our code will then try to use the raw key (such as Home and End) as a fallback. I found that this second step was not happening for Home and End keys and that step is needed for NeoOffice to work like OpenOffice.org. I fixed this bug by making a small tweak to my fix for bug 3615.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you? Important note: this test patch with change NeoOffice to "NeoOffice 3.1.1 Patch 2". This is because Patch 2 has already been distributed to the NeoOffice mirors and will likely be released in the next day or two. So, by installing this test patch, you are getting the soon to be released Patch 2 plus my fix for this bug:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
HendrikPon
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject:

The patch fixes the bug completely.
My remapped Home/End keys take me to where I expect them to take me.

Thanks very much for the quick fix.

HendrikPon
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject:

HendrikPon wrote:
The patch fixes the bug completely.
My remapped Home/End keys take me to where I expect them to take me.

That is good news.

philippp,

Does the test patch also fix your problem?

With the test patch, you should not need to remap any of your custom Mac OS X key bindings nor do you need to delete any of the Home and End keyboard shortcuts in that are shown when you select the Tools :: Customize menu and click on the Keyboard tab.

Patrick
philippp
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

philippp,
Does the test patch also fix your problem?

Hi Patrick,
thanks for your quick action, and sorry for replying so late!

Yes, it does fix the problem! (I.e. when editing a cell, I can now happily move to the start / end of the text in the cell.) Great, THANKS!

Still, I noticed something strange: When I am not in editing mode, i.e. I move the highlighted around over the sheet, using the arrow keys. When I press the home or end key, the text in the currently highlighted cell vanishes and I am switched into edit mode.
It appears as if I had pressed F2, Cmd-A, del.
(Pressing ECS brings the text back.)

I will have to further investigate this – perhaps I have some other strange mapping somewhere (I did not mess around much in the key assignments besides the home/end keys, so I think it is unlikely, but its possible)...

Edit: Also (when NOT in editing mode) the context menu (right mouse-button) on a cell sometimes seems to directly enable editing mode and show the editing commands (spell checker etc.) instead of the cell-context commands (format, etc.). Weird. Perhaps I need a reboot...

Regards
Philipp
HendrikPon
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject:

philippp wrote:

Still, I noticed something strange: When I am not in editing mode, i.e. I move the highlighted around over the sheet, using the arrow keys. When I press the home or end key, the text in the currently highlighted cell vanishes and I am switched into edit mode.

I am not seeing this kind of behaviour.
I can move around a spreadsheet using arrow keys and press Home and End without anything weird or out of the ordinary happening.

/HendrikPon
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:

philippp wrote:

I cannot reproduce this on my machines.

philippp wrote:
Edit: Also (when NOT in editing mode) the context menu (right mouse-button) on a cell sometimes seems to directly enable editing mode and show the editing commands (spell checker etc.) instead of the cell-context commands (format, etc.). Weird. Perhaps I need a reboot...

I cannot reproduce this either. You may want to try the following steps to narrow down which changes are causing this:

1. Reset all of your NeoOffice keyboard shortcuts to their default settings by doing the following:

- Quit NeoOffice
- Move the ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0 folder to your Desktop or Trash
- Restart NeoOffice

2. Reset your Mac OS X key bindings to the default settings by moving the following file to your Desktop or Trash, logging out, and logging back in:

~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4