Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J on USB Key?
NeoOffice/J on USB Key?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: NeoOffice/J on USB Key?

Just a quick question, is it possible to install NeoOffice/J onto a USB Flash Disk and run it from there?

If so, would it then be possible to run from the USB key on another Mac (different to the one where it was installed)?

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Officially, no. /Applications is the only supported location for installing NeoOffice/J.

There are two very important reasons for this. First, a bunch of the underlying OOo code expects things to be installed in a single known place and never moved, so there are lots of hard-coded pathnames in the app (and while our brave Mac porting team has nixed a number of these references, many still remain, e.g., in the preferences).

Secondly, because of the above and because searching an entire large disk for the Neo/J install location could take "forever," the patch installers only look in /Applications for the Neo/J app to update.

That said, unofficially, if you're really adventurous and careful, you could probably get it to work (we won't really support any problems Smile).

1. Install Neo/J in /Applications for the first time (Don't launch it).
  2. Immediately move Neo/J to your USB key.
  3. Never rename your USB key once you have ever launched Neo/J.
  4. Copy ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 to your key and then into ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 on other machines if you want your settings to remain the same/in sync on multiple machines. Repeat after each session.
  5. Move Neo/J back to /Applications before opening the patch update .pkg, then immediately move Neo/J back to the same place on your USB key (Don't launch Neo/J).

If you have /Applications symlinked to your USB key, some of the complexity is removed (Neo/J more-or-less supports situations where /Applications is on a second drive/partition and where /Applications on the main drive has been replaced by a UNIX symbolic link to its location on the second drive).

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject:

This is a good FAQ question...

But is the best place to put it the current neowiki or is there going to be a new one soon?

W
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Just a reminder...if you do start playing around with putting it on non-system disks...

Put it on a drive that does not have any spaces in its name and only in folders that do not have spaces in the folder names.

I know I haven't done major testing on this but the underlying OOo has had historical problems when dealing with spaces in paths. Most other Unix users nearly never put spaces in their drives or folders since they're a pain in the a$* to type on a command line Smile As a result, many of the scripts within OOo itself don't escape spaces and, voila, generate incorrect command lines.

I think we've ferreted most of those out of OOo already but it's still a good idea to be wary.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
This is a good FAQ question...

But is the best place to put it the current neowiki or is there going to be a new one soon?

W

I haven't heard from jake on this in a while, and kinda forgot about it when I went on vacation. Thus I've been continuing to edit the old wiki these past couple of weeks Sad I've just read the "latest" discussions in the testwiki....

I have a couple more FAQ questions in mind, but I'll hold off for a bit (plus, I'm a bit worn out from doing the extendedPDF tutorials for Neo and OOo tonight!)

Smokey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I have a couple more FAQ questions in mind, but I'll hold off for a bit (plus, I'm a bit worn out from doing the extendedPDF tutorials for Neo and OOo tonight!)

Thanks! And don't worry, I put this one in the Wiki this morning.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1