Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - "NeoOffice Quit Unexpectedly" when trying to open
"NeoOffice Quit Unexpectedly" when trying to open

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregwilson
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: "NeoOffice Quit Unexpectedly" when trying to open

I recently tried to install the NeoOffice 3.1.1 Patch 2 and since installing, now some but not all of my .doc files seem to crash NeoOffice when I double-click them directly in finder. I then get the message "NeoOffice Quit Unexpectedly". I looked back at the downloaded patch DMG and saw that it was not the full file size, so I think I may have tried to install it without the file being fully downloaded. So, I dragged NeoOffice to the trash and deleted it, then downloaded NeoOffice 3.1.1 again and reinstalled it. Then, I downloaded the patch again, making sure it was the FULL file and reinstalled it. Still crashing when I try to open some .doc files. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject:

I also ran into a crashing bug when deleting some lines in one of my .doc files earlier this week. I fixed that crashing bug and, hopefully, it also fixes the crash that you are seeing.

Can you install the following test patch and see if the crashing stops for you? If the crashing still occurs, can you obtain a crash log using the steps in this NeoWiki article? You can attach the crash log using the steps in this forum post:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
gregwilson
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I did try installing the attached patch, but I am still getting the error on the same files. I've attached the crash log to this message. Thank you again.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the crash log.

Your crash log indicates that you have the following system hack on your machine. System hacks inject their code into all running applications and we have found that bugs in some system hacks can cause applications like NeoOffice to hang, crash or otherwise behave incorrectly in unexpected places in the code:

/Library/InputManagers/CTLoader

NeoOffice should not crash, so can you try disabling this system hack, rebooting your machine, and tell us if the crashing still occurs?

To disable this system hack, move the above folder to your Desktop and reboot. You can find the folder by double-clicking on the main volume icon on your desktop and, in the Finder window that appears, navigating down through the Library and InputManagers subfolders.

If the crashing still occurs after disabling this system hack, please post a new crash log as it is likely that the location of the crash will change.

Patrick
gregwilson
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject:

Thank you. Removing CTLoader didn't seem to work. :/ This is the latest crash log.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject:

Thank you for disabling the system hack. Your crash log shows no change in the location of the crash so we now know the general area in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code that the crash is occurring in.

I will need to find and fix the bug in the code that is causing this crashing. To do that, I need to be able to reproduce this bug on my machines. Do you have a sample document that you can attach that we can use to try to reproduce this bug? If so, can you attach it?

Patrick
gregwilson
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject:

What exactly is CTLoader? I was just wondering what it's function is since I deleted it. I've attached one of the files that refuses to open. Thank you very much.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject:

gregwilson wrote:
What exactly is CTLoader? I was just wondering what it's function is since I deleted it. I've attached one of the files that refuses to open. Thank you very much.

From my quick Google search, CTLoader is installed by the Vuze Toolbar for Safari.

Thank you for the sample document. I can reproduce the crashing in both NeoOffice and my Go-oo build. Since I cannot reproduce it in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, that tells me that the bug is caused by one or more of the changes to the OpenOffice.org code that Novell's Go-oo engineers have made.

I will start investigating this bug and when I find the Go-oo code modification that causes this bug, I will post a test patch with my fix for the bug that you can try.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I have submitted bug 3629 to track this issue.

Fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this Go-oo crashing bug. Can you install the following test patch and see if the crashing stops for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-4-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
gregwilson
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject:

It worked! Thank you so much. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fix for this bug has been included in NeoOffice 3.1.2 which can download it from the NeoOffice download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1