· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Registration
Registration

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGruff
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Registration

While poking around on the N/J beta I happened to click on Help>registration, which took me to a registration/survey page on the Openoffice.org site.

Would it make more sense to have that go to a similar page on trinity? Not that we need registration, but it would be a way of alerting new users to (a) the available resources (here and in the wiki) and (b) the opportunity to get stuck into the community. We might also be able to get some indication of how many people are installing and running N/J rather than just downloading.

Mr Gruff
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Probably the registration and support should point somewhere here as well. I haven't had the time to figure out where in the application all of those are. We also do need some work done to the helpcontent as well as all of that kind of stuff still references OOo.

Anyone wanna take a stab at finding it? I'm not sure if those links are in config files or if they're (gasp) hardcoded somewhere in the source itself.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Probably the registration and support should point somewhere here as well. I haven't had the time to figure out where in the application all of those are. We also do need some work done to the helpcontent as well as all of that kind of stuff still references OOo.

Anyone wanna take a stab at finding it? I'm not sure if those links are in config files or if they're (gasp) hardcoded somewhere in the source itself.

ed

Now in the "things to do not coding" wiki topic Smile It's like Bugzilla for the community!

Smokey
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:

I've a inserted a site http://sixthcrusade.com/neowiki/index.php?page=DocPartsToChange into the Wiki and would like to suggest to annotate here all sections of the Neo/J-documentation which should be made OS-X-specific.

There's one question which should be answered before implementing the new help text: do we use Apple's help viewer or the OOo/NeoJ help function.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each possibility?

Pro Apple help viewer:
- consistent help interface over all OS X apps/Mac look & feel
- more possibilities for no-text help (i.e., small help videos, like "Apple theater")

Contra Apple help viewer:
- it's more difficult to inherit OOo help files
- programming effort needed to embed the help viewer in Neo/J

Thomas
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject:

the help viewer isn't imbedded in Neo, rather the help files are read by the viewer.

another pro of apple help files is that it puts it into the help system, so if neo can do something it would come up on a help search.

(i was the one looking into the help files Very Happy )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject:

IMO (without having looked at the files like jake or being a programmer Smile), the first step would be "fixing" the existing Help to use Cmd instead of Ctrl and Ctrl instead of right-click or whatever is there. Then cleaning up the other differences (printing, fonts, what else is Mac-native?). This is something that could conceivably be mostly done by non-programmers, which I think we have more of at the moment than programmers Smile

Long-term, move to Apple's help viewer, which I imagine is somewhat of a non-trivial task (tell the OOo one not to build, build a link to Apple's, create a system to update the content with Mac- and Neo-specific changes and to reformat the whole thing for Apple Help). Conceptually Smile

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Location of Registration URL

The URL that is displayed by the Register menu item is located in NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.vxu

Open the file and find the line containing "http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/registration.html" . Change the URL as desired, launch Neo, and your browser will open the desired page when you choose Help/Registration....

I found the file by doing this:
>cd /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/share
>grep -r registration *

Hope this helps!

Ross
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for finding the XML file that this URL is in! I will change the URL in the next Neo/J 1.1 Beta patch.

Patrick
ovvldc (away)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Thanks for finding the XML file that this URL is in! I will change the URL in the next Neo/J 1.1 Beta patch.

Any chance of fixing up a server script so that the data that is collected gets sent to OO.org as well? All in the interest of them knowing how many NeoOffice users are out there...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1