Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Mobile menu when no documents are open?
Mobile menu when no documents are open?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Mobile menu when no documents are open?

I can't remember if this has been discussed before, so I thought I'd ask--though I know how much trouble the Windows-centric OOo menu system is!

Since NeoMobile can be used to load documents from the NeoMobile servers (as well as from Google Docs), not just save existing documents to NeoMobile servers, is it possible to have the NeoMobile menu available when no documents are open? If you have NeoOffice set to not open any module on launch, or if you close the last document, and you want to load a document via NeoMobile, having the menu available would save the step of creating a new blank document that you later have to close (at least if it's a different type).

It's not a big deal, but I did wonder about it.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject:

The good news is that this is easy to add and only requires a change to the NeoOffice Mobile's menu configuration file.

The bad news is that the change cannot be included in a patch so it will not be available until the next new version of NeoOffice. The reason is that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code parses the menu configuration file when the extension is installed and any changes we make to the menu configuration file in previously installed extension will be ignored.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the OpenOffice.org code to recognize the changes in the menu configuration file is to fully uninstall and then reinstall the extension using the unopkg.bin command running as root.

Using unopkg.bin was found to be very risky when run in the patch installer so we now patch NeoOffice Mobile bugs by copying new binaries into the installed extension. This works for compiled code but does not work for any configuration files in the extension.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The good news is that this is easy to add and only requires a change to the NeoOffice Mobile's menu configuration file.

Thanks, Patrick Smile I'm glad that part is so easy; it helps make up for the failings of the rest of the OOo extension system Razz

The menu change will be a nice thing to look forward to in Neo 3.2, then.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject:

I have staged NeoOffice 3.1.1 Patch 2 and it contains the menu configuration file changes that are needed for your request. While the file changes won't work after a normal patch installation, the entire NeoOffice Mobile extension is included in the patch installer bundle so if you are brave you can uninstall and reinstall the NeoOffice Mobile extension to enable this feature.

To uninstall and reinstall the NeoOffice Mobile extension when Patch 2 is released, open the Patch 2 installer .dmg file and then remove and reinstall the extension using the instructions in this NeoWiki article.

Special notes:

1. When removing the extension, replace "name-of-dictionary-or-extension" with "neomobile.oxt" in the "sudo unopkg.bin remove" command

2. When reinstalling the extension, replace "/path/to/the/dictionary-or-extension" with "/Volumes/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Intel/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Intel.pkg/Contents/Resources/neomobile.oxt" in the "sudo unopkg.bin add" command

Hope that helps.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I just did this (with Patch-2 Test-1), and it works like a charm (though I can see why you don't want to do this during a normal patch install). Thanks, Patrick!

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject:

FYI. This change has been included in NeoOffice 3.1.2 which can download it from the NeoOffice download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1