Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Thanks and an early goodbye
Thanks and an early goodbye

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Thanks and an early goodbye

First let me say that I support the decision to increase the donation threshold for support on the forums. I know this could not have been an easy decision to make, but I have no doubt that it was necessary.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to make a sufficiently large donation to NeoOffice to stay active in the forums once my current "donation year" runs out. And given how little work there has been lately for those of us who are support volunteers, I can't see that it makes sense any more to count our volunteer time as our donation.

So I wanted to take a chance now, while I was thinking about it, to say thank you to all of the "regulars" in the NeoOffice community. I have enjoyed getting to know you all (in as much as one can electronically). I have learned a lot, and will always treasure my time here. I wish you all the best in the future.

I'll actively check-in here until my time runs out, and I plan to keep using NeoOffice. If someone does take a stab at starting a NeoOffice user's group, I'd happily take part.

Blessings to you all,

Lorinda
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:

I share your sentiment and I was wondering how to put it. You've done so quite eloquently Smile.

My stars are not monetary, as I have been donating time rather than money, but I don't currently have $100 lying around. I have an upcoming wedding to pay for and all..

I was a pleasure to work with so many of you Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:

I understand that both of you have been very stretched and providing NeoOffice support has been difficult to squeeze into your busy lives. It seems that is becoming common for all of us lately. Sad

BTW, your moderator status will continue to allow you posting privileges regardless of your donation level. It has been that way ever since I implemented the minimum donation requirement last year. All of the moderators have definitely earned posting privileges as a result of the very generous amount of time each has volunteered to the NeoOffice project.

Again, I understand the time squeeze that many of our moderators have been under as you know that I have experiencing the same time squeeze and Ed and I will always be grateful for the tremendous help that you all have provided.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject:

I want to extend a big "thank-you" from the wiki side of things for all your work, Lorinda. That has been an invaluable addition to our little wiki (I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that back in the day, you and Jacqueline doubled the size of the wiki with all the practical tips and articles, and cleaned things up as well!).

As Oscar, yoxi, and a couple of other "old-timers" can attest, our ability to contribute may wax and wane, but the wiki remains, imparting all of its knowledge to those who look Wink

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.

Congratulations to Oscar!

And, thanks, Patrick for the word that moderators will continue to have posting privileges. I appreciate that very much, although I do feel as though I haven't "earned my keep" much of late.

In terms of responding on the forum, it's not a matter of time restrictions on my part. It's just that I am aware that the volume of support requests has dropped dramatically since a minimum donation level was required. That's good, as you, Patrick, were being overworked. But it does mean that there has been less of that type of work for those of us who volunteer. I check in at least once a day, but I usual find that either someone (usually Patrick) has already responded, or that the issue is beyond my ability to assist with.

I have felt the time pressure around continuing to work on the wiki. Somehow it's easier psychologically to take time to answer a support question when they come up than to plan time to write or edit a wiki article. I've been thinking that I should get back to editing the wiki, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I think, too, that Jacqueline's death made editing the wiki less appealing to me. The camaraderie and cooperation we shared was delightful, and I miss that. I also miss her anytime I visit a wiki page she worked on.

One of the areas in which I've learned a lot here has do to with on-line communities and their ebb and flow. I've been fascinated to watch those dynamics, and compare the functioning of this community to other on-line ones I participate in. As a pastor, it's been invaluable for me to reflect more on the nature of community in a "new" arena.

Lorinda
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Lorinda Smile.

I too, notice that there is relatively little for me to do here, as compared to say, three years ago. I haven't made any new icons, and support requests are down to about one per day on average. NeoOffice 3.1.2 seems to be humming along pretty smoothly with no major bugs.

Honestly, I don't know how requests could drop much further Question. There are always feature requests, but those held off anyway and many point to a 3.2 or 3.3 release..

Not that I complain because I am quite busy Wink.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1