NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo becomes LibreOffice
OOo becomes LibreOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: OOo becomes LibreOffice

I read this news story with interest this morning, thought it worth mentioning on the forum.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject:

So should NeoOffice change its name? To NouvoBureau, for example? Very Happy

Seriously, though - after reading all that (I got it in an email too) I wasn't clear: is OOo going to branch into two parallel products, OOo and LO, or is OOo becoming LO instead? (and if the former, which will NO follow?)
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject:

From what I can tell, the OOo project has simply rearranged the furniture to be independent of Oracle. The name change is necessary because Oracle own the OpenOffice brand. It would seem the next move is Oracle's. They can give the OOo brand to the community, kill it, or bring it in-house as a fork (but then where does that leave StarOffice?)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
From what I can tell, the OOo project has simply rearranged the furniture to be independent of Oracle. The name change is necessary because Oracle own the OpenOffice brand. It would seem the next move is Oracle's. They can give the OOo brand to the community, kill it, or bring it in-house as a fork (but then where does that leave StarOffice?)

Actually, Go-oo is rearranging the furniture. My sources tell me that this new foundation is being staffed by Novell's Go-oo staff plus a few OpenOffice.org community volunteers.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: OOo becomes LibreOffice

djpimley wrote:
I read this news story with interest this morning, thought it worth mentioning on the forum.

Wow, that article is one of the most confusing pieces of tech journalism I've ever seen—and exceedingly light on links to sources Razz

If you believe what the article is trying to pitch, the entire OOo community up and kicked Oracle out and are going to develop the application without the help of the dozens+ Oracle employees who write, what, 95%, of the OOo code Razz

In reality, it sounds like the non-Oracle corporate contributors to OOo and some open source organizations announced a preemptive fork and their own governing body (foundation) and have asked Oracle to come play ball with them. I think OpenSolaris showed how that will work out.

Given this, I do wonder whether Oracle will keep up the farce of OpenOffice.org, or if they'll save the millions they currently pay CollabNet Razz

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: OOo becomes LibreOffice

sardisson wrote:
I think OpenSolaris showed how that will work out.

Yes indeed.

Patrick, thanks for the informed info.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Tristan Nitot (President of Mozilla Europe) has a list of other articles here; the ones I've read are a lot better than the The Register article that started this thread Wink

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:

Today I saw this new development. I'm not knowledgeable about the OOo community so I have no idea how significant it is, just thought I would post it as part of the story.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Today I saw this new development. I'm not knowledgeable about the OOo community so I have no idea how significant it is, just thought I would post it as part of the story.

The first thing I noticed in the letter that you linked to is that only 1 of the many signers actually claims to be a developer who has worked on the OOo code and his bio on LibreOffice site indicates that his salary is paid by Novell.

I still don't get what the big deal is about LibreOffice. To me, it is basically the small Go-oo engineering group at Novell rearranged the furniture and a huge number of public relations types appear to have jumped on the bandwagon and are publishing lots of marketing hype.

Why do I think it is mostly hype? Because LibreOffice's engineering team is really Novell's Go-oo engineering group plus maybe a few other people. They have done some good work in the past, but they have also added a lot of nasty bugs as well as our support forum will attest.

Don't get me wrong, Novell's Go-oo engineers are very competent engineers. I just think that given Go-oo's history of no formal user support and lots of nasty bugs, the LibreOffice public relations and marketing types are promising way more than the Go-oo engineers can reasonably do.

For me, the LibreOffice hype sounds eerily similar to the hype that surrounded the OpenOffice.org Mac OS X porting work was started back in 2006. Wink

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
For me, the LibreOffice hype sounds eerily similar to the hype that surrounded the OpenOffice.org Mac OS X porting work was started back in 2006. Wink

Your words remind me of an old phrase: "When all is said and done, more was said than done."
Meanwhile NeoOffice speaks softly and carries a big stick. Annoying dancing banana
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1