Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Google Docs via enterprise Apps
Google Docs via enterprise Apps

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterf
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Google Docs via enterprise Apps

I have a Google Apps subscription for my business with a login at
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/...

However, the NeoOffice Mobile will not allow me to log-in to Docs at that address, it defaults to my old gmail address based Docs account

Is there anyway around this?
Is it a known issue?

Many thanks!

I love NeoOffice!
Ciao

PF

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Google Docs via enterprise Apps

peterf wrote:
However, the NeoOffice Mobile will not allow me to log-in to Docs at that address, it defaults to my old gmail address based Docs account

I am not sure I understand what you are seeing as NeoMobile merely sense whatever username and password to Google's servers and then Google's servers send a list of files for that account.

Are there any other details that you see that might help me understand the problem better?
peterf
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Docs via enterprise Apps

pluby wrote:
peterf wrote:

I am not sure I understand what you are seeing as NeoMobile merely sense whatever username and password to Google's servers and then Google's servers send a list of files for that account.

Are there any other details that you see that might help me understand the problem better?

Hi!
Thanks for the note.
Well, my google username is dependent on the domain I'm logging into at Google Apps
So, I don't enter my whole "peterf@semiotx.com", I only enter "peterf" at the /a/cpanel/semiotx.com/ login

This is not the same account as my 'pfraterdeus@gmail.com' account, which is where NeoOfficeMobile wants to save my stuff (it's a great feature BTW!)

I expect there's a slightly different API for the Google Apps than for the 'public' versions. It would need to include the domain as a field, perhaps?

Many thanks!!

peter
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:

I took a quick look at the Google Docs API documentation and appears that Google's servers prefer that you send them the full e-mail address of your account.

When you enter a username instead of an e-mail address, Google's servers appear to pick a one of your Google Docs accounts by default. So, can you try logging in with the full e-mail address of the Google account that you want to save to and tell us if things work correctly or if the problem still occurs?

Patrick
peterf
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I took a quick look at the Google Docs API documentation and appears that Google's servers prefer that you send them the full e-mail address of your account.

When you enter a username instead of an e-mail address, Google's servers appear to pick a one of your Google Docs accounts by default. So, can you try logging in with the full e-mail address of the Google account that you want to save to and tell us if things work correctly or if the problem still occurs?

Patrick

Hi Patrick!
Thanks again for checking on this.
I'll give it a try!

Hmm. OK. There was a glitch in that I had at some point made an account called "peterf@semiotx.com" which seems to have conflicted with my domain account "peterf" at semiotx.com.
So, when I log into Docs from NOM with a different domain (a different account altogether - peterf@alphabets.com ) - it does seem to log in, but I can't save anything into the Docs folder.

I get "Sorry, you can't save into this folder."

I've just checked the permissions in Docs for alphabets.com
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/alphabets.com/DocsSettings

And it seems that it should be AOK.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Peter

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject:

peterf wrote:

I have bad news: you are seeing this error message because NeoOffice Mobile does not have the ability to upload documents to Google Docs. Right now, NeoOffice Mobile can only download from Google Docs.

I have to admit that when you first posted about uploading document I had wrongly assumed that Tim had implemented the ability to upload documents. then when I looked through the NeoOffice Mobile server code (Tim does all of server code and Ed and I do the portion that ships with NeoOffice), I realized that Tim was not able implement this feature in the server code. Instead, Ed or I would need to make some changes to the NeoOffice code to support uploading documents so Tim hard coded the "Save" button to display this error message whenever the "Google Docs" folder is selected.

I think that uploading would be a very nice feature and Tim and I will investigate what is needed to implement this feature. Once we know what is needed (probably about a week or so from now), I will post what we have found.

In the meantime, if anyone else would like to see this feature, please post and tell us so. If several users tell us that they want this feature, we will move the development of this feature to the front of our development priority list.

Patrick
peterf
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
peterf wrote:

I have bad news: you are seeing this error message because NeoOffice Mobile does not have the ability to upload documents to Google Docs. Right now, NeoOffice Mobile can only download from Google Docs.

I think that uploading would be a very nice feature and Tim and I will investigate what is needed to implement this feature. Once we know what is needed (probably about a week or so from now), I will post what we have found.

In the meantime, if anyone else would like to see this feature, please post and tell us so. If several users tell us that they want this feature, we will move the development of this feature to the front of our development priority list.

Patrick

Aha!
Well, that would explain it!!

Indeed, the way the UX proceeds now, it APPEARS that you'd be able to save to Google Docs, and the message seems to imply there's some configuration problem. It would be a reasonable assumption that both Open and Save would be available.

Thanks for your efforts Patrick.

Cheers!
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject:

As it happens, I've been evaluating recently released Alfresco Communiy Edition 3.3g which includes support for uploading and editing documenst in Google Docs from within Alfresco. I just mention it in case there's anything in their open source code which might prove of value to your development here.

More at http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Alfresco_Community_Edition_3.3g#Google_Docs.E2.84.A2_Integration

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Tim and I spent a little time last week figuring out what would be needed to support uploading NeoOffice documents to your Google Docs account.

The good news is that it is feasible and most of the code changes can be implemented in the NeoOffice Mobile server code by Tim and very few changes are required from me in the NeoOffice code.

The not so good news is that while I was able to make the necessary NeoOffice changes in only a few hours of work, Tim's changes will probably require a few weeks of coding and testing before your requested feature is ready for use by NeoOffice Mobile users.

I will post again when Tim has finished coding and testing his changes. But please be patient as that is likely to be at least a few weeks from now.

In the meantime, can you install the following test patch and confirm that NeoOffice Mobile still uploads documents to your non-Google Docs folders without any problems? You should see no change in behavior with the following test patch but I would appreciate it if any NeoOffice Mobile users could test it as it has my NeoOffice changes that Tim's server code will depend on when he implements this requested feature:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-1-Test-18-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-1-Test-18-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The not so good news is that while I was able to make the necessary NeoOffice changes in only a few hours of work, Tim's changes will probably require a few weeks of coding and testing before your requested feature is ready for use by NeoOffice Mobile users.

Good news! Tim has implemented support for saving documents to your Google Docs account using NeoOffice Mobile. I have been testing this new feature and it appears pretty close to being ready for release so hopefully we will be able to release it later this month.

I will post again when the new feature is released.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject:

FYI. This feature is now enabled on the NeoOffice Mobile servers. No update to NeoOffice is needed to access this feature. Just open NeoOffice and log into NeoOffice Mobile as you normally would.

The only difference is that with this new feature, pressing the Save button when a file in the "[Google Docs]" folder is selected in NeoOffice Mobile should actually upload your document to your Google Docs account.

Please let us know if you find any problems with this new feature.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1