· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo won't start
Neo won't start

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject:

The Java test for 1.5.0 works (I get a Java window that says "Java works")

However, the test for 1.4.2 threw several errors. Here's the Terminal output (with the name of my hard drive slightly redacted):

Code:
Last login: Mon Oct 25 15:52:41 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
lorindas-ibook-g4:~ Lorinda$ cd  Desktop
lorindas-ibook-g4:~/Desktop Lorinda$ javac Test.java
Note: Test.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
lorindas-ibook-g4:~/Desktop Lorinda$ /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Commands/java -classpath . Test
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Test (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:539)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:55)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:194)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:274)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
lorindas-ibook-g4:~/Desktop Lorinda$ /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/java -classpath . Test
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I just rebooted my iBook G4 from the external hard drive (the 6 month-old clone of the internal drive). As I mentioned before, the Neo installation on that drive works if (and only if!) I boot from that drive.

After I rebooted from the clone drive, I ran the same java test, and it produced precisely the same results as those given above.

No mdimportserver errors in the console log on this volume, if that's significant.

I did experience a kernel panic when trying to boot from the clone. I saved report. If you think it's related, I can make it available. It's the first kernel panic I've seen since Neo stopped launching, so I don't know that it's related. (this machine seems to throw a few kernel panics in a short period of time, and then be panic free for weeks or months)

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I did experience a kernel panic when trying to boot from the clone. I saved report. If you think it's related, I can make it available. It's the first kernel panic I've seen since Neo stopped launching, so I don't know that it's related. (this machine seems to throw a few kernel panics in a short period of time, and then be panic free for weeks or months)

NeoOffice does not cause kernel panics. A kernel panic means that either 1) Apple has a serious bug in Mac OS X or 2) there is something seriously wrong with your machine.

At this point, I really think you need take your machine to a Mac shop and have them do a full set of diagnostic steps on your memory and disk to find out which is failing. I have not had any kernel panics in literally years with my Mac OS X 10.4 machines that I use everyday so something I am pretty certain that Mac OS X 10.4.11 is OK and, most likely, there is something seriously wrong with your machine's hardware. Maybe your machine is just having failing memory chips or maybe you have a corrupted system file or two, but the fact that NeoOffice works when booting off of a different Mac OS X installation coupled with kernel panics pretty clearly indicates that there is something seriously wrong with either the main volume in your machine or the Mac OS X files installed on that volume.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Patrick. I didn't mean to imply that Neo caused the kernel panics, but rather that whatever caused today's kernel panic might also be creating problems for Neo.

I'll try to get it to a shop when I can. The nearest one is a two hour drive, but it is fortunately in a city I visit every few months, so I should be able to take it in the next time I go.

In the meantime, I may try reinstalling Tiger, just to see if that helps.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Thanks, Patrick. I didn't mean to imply that Neo caused the kernel panics, but rather that whatever caused today's kernel panic might also be creating problems for Neo.

I did not assume that you implied anything. What I wanted to point out is that Mac OS X 10.4.11 is really stable so you should not encounter any kernel panics at all.

I don't think reinstalling Mac OS X 10.4.11 is going to solve the problem. The reason is that since you are not seeing kernel panics on your other machine but you see kernel panics when you boot the problem machine off of the other machine's main volume, the kernel panics strongly point to hardware failures on your problem machine.

Since you were booting off of another machine's main volume, I think that eliminates your machine's hard disk as the cause so you may want to check the memory in your machine. We were getting kernel panics on one of our machines a while back and we used a program called Memtest OS X to test the machine's memory cards. Memtest OS X indicated that some memory was damaged so we then pulled memory cards out of the machine one by one until Memtest OS X said there were no memory errors.

Memtest OS X does cost money to download, but only it costs only US $1.39 the last time I checked. Running the program should be fairly easy and there are good instructions for running it are in the User Manual link on the Memtest website.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have Memtest, actually, as I downloaded and ran it when I first started seeing kernel panics. At that point, it didn't find anything wrong with the memory, but I should obviously run it again.

Thanks, too, for all your help with this. Just for completeness sake, I'll try to remember to post back after I've gotten it back from the shop, but for now I'll consider the matter closed.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2