Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - AutoText - page break issue when inserting
AutoText - page break issue when inserting

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: AutoText - page break issue when inserting

When I use AutoText in an existing document, a page break is automatically inserted (does not happen in a new document).

I've tried to search for a solution, but with no luck.

How can I fix this?
Thanks!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:

I cannot reproduce this behavior with NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 2 so maybe I am using the wrong steps? Here are the steps that I used. Can you tell us if you are using any different steps?

1. Open an existing Writer document and positioned the cursor in the middle of some existing text in the document

2. Select the Edit :: AutoText menu and in the dialog that appears, I selected the Standard :: 1st Reminder item and pressed the Insert button

After doing that, the autotext is inserted inline with no page breaks.

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject:

It doesn't do this on one of my computers, but it does on another. Both are running the same version of Neo. Both are using AutoText off a shared server.

Is there an option somewhere that should be selected or not?

I've included a typical template we use and a list of AutoText entries.

Shanna
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample documents. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce it on my machines so I suspect that there is a user preference that is causing this. The hard part is we need to find that particular user preference.

Can you attach a zip file of the user preferences on the machine that is inserting the page break? I can then swap in your user preferences and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Here are the steps to create a zip file of your user preferences:

1. Go to the Finder and navigate into your Home folder's Library :: Preferences subfolder.

2. Find the NeoOffice-3.0 folder within that subfolder and right-click or Control-click on that folder.

3. In the popup menu that appears, select the "Create Archive of NeoOffice-3.0" option. This will create a NeoOffice-3.0.zip file that you can attach.

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks so much for your help!

Shanna
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the zip file. I am now able to reproduce this problem both with your user preferences as well as with a clean set of user preferences.

Here is what I found: this behavior happens only under when the cursor is at the beginning of a paragraph. If the cursor is at the beginning of the first paragraph or more than one character into any other paragraph, this problem does not occur.

Do you see the same behavior as me? I have not yet found a way to turn this behavior off as it also occurs in OpenOffice 3.1.1 - the version of OpenOffice.org that NeoOffice 3.1.2 is base on.

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that observation - that in itself is quite helpful.

If you do find a way to control the page break further, that would be helpful.

Cheers!
Shanna
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject:

CCJ wrote:
If you do find a way to control the page break further, that would be helpful.

Is it possible to attach a zip file of the user preferences on the machine that does not insert page breaks? It might not yield any clues as to how to stop the default behavior, but I can investigate any differences between the zip files.

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject:

It seems that they are both doing it - I just hadn't realized that where the cursor was created the page break (on new lines).

Shanna
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I think that I found a way to stop insertion of a page break. It appears that the page break is caused by corruption in some of your autotext entries so I used the following steps to fix the ACUA autotext entry:

1. Open a new, empty Writer document and insert the ACUA autotext entry in an empty document

2. Select the Edit :: Select All menu to select all of the inserted text and then select the Edit :: AutoText menu.

3. In the dialog that appears, select the ACUA autotext entry and then click on the AutoText button. In the popup menu that appears, select the "Replace" option and close the dialog.

After doing the above steps for an autotext entry, does the insertion of a page break stop for that autotext entry?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1