· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - list-creating question
list-creating question

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cervus
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: list-creating question

Friends -- Is it possible to set this up in Neo Office Writer?

I'd like to be able to create multiple choice test-questions so that I can type the question (numbered 1,2,3 etc) in 14-point, and then the answer-choice letters ... (a), (b), (c) etc ... and the answer texts automatically appear in 12-point type.

Now it seems I have to do Format >bullets & numbering, every time I want to create new multiple-choice answers. And then I have to highlight the answers to put them in 12-point.

Also, sometimes I'd like to do this inside a Writer table of rows & columns.

Any thoughts? I checked the help menus.

Thank you.
Don
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject:

What I think you are asking is if you can trigger a font size change based on what is being typed, right? If so, unfortunately there is no such feature available in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code.

There are some workarounds, however, that you can use to cut down the number of the clicks to change the font size when you start and finish a list by creating a custom paragraph style in your document and then setting that style to use a 12 point font using the following steps:

1. Select the Format :: Styles and Formatting menu and in the floating window that appears, press the Paragraph Styles toolbar button, and right-click or Control-click on the "Default" style. In the popup menu that appears, select the "New" option.

2. In the dialog that appears, click on the Font tab and set the font to 12 point. Then click on the Organizer tab and set the name of your custom style. Then click the OK button.

Once you have done the above, you can use this new style by leaving the Styles and Formatting floating window open and when you want to start typing a new list, double-click on your custom style. All of your typing after that point will use your custom style's font size. When you reach the end of a list and want to return to your 14 point font size, double-click on the whatever paragraph style you were using before you switched to your custom style and continue typing.

Does the above workaround work for you?

Patrick
cervus
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: question listing -- more

Well -- very interesting. Now I can create the change to 12-point using the floating frame. Unfortunately, double-clicking on the paragraph style I was using before (default) doesn't reset to 14 points. Did I misunderstand?

Also another question. This is about editing the list-creator. Is it possible to create a button that's always visible on the toolbar that will automatically create lists as "a... b... c..." rather than as "1... 2... 3"?

I can do this every time via Format > Bullets-numbering, but I have 100 multi-choice questions to create.

Thank you again.
Don
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: question listing -- more

cervus wrote:
Unfortunately, double-clicking on the paragraph style I was using before (default) doesn't reset to 14 points. Did I misunderstand?

Default is not a real style; it's just "whatever settings you're using right now." If you had defined a separate style for 14 points, then double-clicking should switch it properly.

cervus wrote:
Also another question. This is about editing the list-creator. Is it possible to create a button that's always visible on the toolbar that will automatically create lists as "a... b... c..." rather than as "1... 2... 3"?

I can do this every time via Format > Bullets-numbering, but I have 100 multi-choice questions to create.

I bet a macro could do this; I'm not one of the resident macro whizes, alas. However, Using Macros in the wiki suggests that you might be able to record your steps as a macro; if that works, then see the section at the bottom of the article for adding a toolbar button for the macro.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: question listing -- more

cervus wrote:
Well -- very interesting. Now I can create the change to 12-point using the floating frame. Unfortunately, double-clicking on the paragraph style I was using before (default) doesn't reset to 14 points. Did I misunderstand?

You probably manually set the non-list text's font size. For my approach to work, right-click or Control-click on that paragraph style in the Styles and Formatting floating window, select "Modify" from the popup menu, and change the font to 14 points there.

cervus wrote:

In the Styles and Formatting floating window, click on the List Styles toolbar button, right-click or Control click on the "Numbering 1" styles, and select "Modify" from the popup menu. In the dialog that appears, edit the numbering format to what you want and click the OK button.

Then, go back and right-click or Control-click on the custom paragraph style that you are using for lists in the Styles and Formatting floating window, and select "Modify" from the popup menu. In the dialog that appears, click on the "Outline and Numbering" tab and set the "Numbering Style" to "Numbering 1".

Do the above steps work for you?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1