Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - trackpad scrolling snaps back to cursor
trackpad scrolling snaps back to cursor

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: trackpad scrolling snaps back to cursor

I have been having this annoyance for a very long time now, and I keep forgetting to report it:

If I scroll with my trackpad (presumably a mousewheel can cause the same thing), NeoOffice will sometimes scroll down, only to snap back to the cursor position after finishing.

I have no idea what triggers this. It happens regularly, but not always.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Can you provide a sample document and a set of steps for us so that we can try to reproduce this behavior on our machines?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I am also experiencing this behaviour. I ascribed it to the age of my system because it appears to me to happen when NeoOffice opens a document and has displayed the currently visible page of the document, but is still dealing with the formatting of the unshown parts. Once the document has 'settled down' the behaviour then ends. This happens on (almost?) all of my documents, the only 'steps' needed are simply to try and use the scroll bar as soon as it is available.

iBook 1.33 GHz 1.5GB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11 NO 3.1.1 Patch 2

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I am also experiencing this behaviour. I ascribed it to the age of my system because it appears to me to happen when NeoOffice opens a document and has displayed the currently visible page of the document, but is still dealing with the formatting of the unshown parts. Once the document has 'settled down' the behaviour then ends. This happens on (almost?) all of my documents, the only 'steps' needed are simply to try and use the scroll bar as soon as it is available.

Again, I need a sample document and steps to reproduce this problem in both NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org before I can do any investigation.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject:

I attach a document on which I observe this affect. Steps to reproduce:
  • Open the document
  • As soon as the document is open scroll down the document (either using mouse/trackpad, or using scrollbar)
The effect I experience is that the document jumps back to the place at which it opened. Once I've scrolled a couple of times it seems to settle down and stay at the location I have scrolled to.

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample document. I can reproduce what you see in both NeoOffice 3.1.1 and OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 so this is definitely an OpenOffice.org bug.

This bug does not occur immediately in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, but it does occur when you click and unclick the Insert menu. What appears to be happening in that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is that when the Insert menu is populated, the OpenOffice.org code moves the visible page back to the page where the cursor currently is. So, if the cursor is in the middle of the document and this OpenOffice.org bug occur, the visible page will shift back to the middle of the document where the cursor is located.

The reason that it occurs in NeoOffice when you first open the document is that NeoOffice has its underlying OpenOffice.org pre-populate all of the menus in the menubar so that the menus are responsive when clicked. In OpenOffice.org, menus are not populated until they are actually clicked so moving through the menus in the menubar seems to hang at certain points.

The reason that this bug seems to not occur after NeoOffice "settles down" is most likely that you have moved to the cursor to the currently visible page so when you click on the menubar, this OpenOffice.org bug occurs but you do not notice it because the visible page does not change.

Unfortunately, our very limited donations only supports one full time developer (me) so this limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing any critical crashing and hanging bugs that our users find.

Because of these limits, fixing this OpenOffice.org bug is outside of that scope. But there is some good news: I cannot reproduce this bug in OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 so when we upgrade NeoOffice to that version of OpenOffice.org, we should inherit the fix for this OpenOffice.org bug.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
But there is some good news: I cannot reproduce this bug in OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 so when we upgrade NeoOffice to that version of OpenOffice.org, we should inherit the fix for this OpenOffice.org bug.

Very good to know Wink. Also, I thought the plan was to skip 3.2.x and go straight for 3.3.x. 3.3.0 is apparently closing to release now..

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Very good to know Wink. Also, I thought the plan was to skip 3.2.x and go straight for 3.3.x. 3.3.0 is apparently closing to release now.

I don't recall ever posting such a plan. Traditionally we have found that the X.X.0 OpenOffice.org releases are much buggier than the X.X.1 releases and, given how many OpenOffice.org and Go-oo crashing bugs we have found so far in the 3.1.1 code, I really see no good reason to upgrade to the 3.3.0 code.

Ed, Fran, and I am actually uncertain how soon we should upgrade to the OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 code. While it does have a few bug fixes, there are very few new features in either 3.2.1 or 3.3.0 that warrant 6 months of full time upgrade and bug fixing work.

To be blunt, we have been a bit frustrated that nearly all of our limited donations over the last two years have been consumed by fixing OpenOffice.org and Go-oo bugs.

I have no problem fixing bugs. The problem is that bug fixing does not generate much donation revenues and so donations fall below the amount to pay me to work full time. So we may hold off on upgrading this fall and, instead, conserve limited resources by having me work half-time to just fix critical bugs and spend the rest of my time finding other paying work.

My hope is that eventually our donors will post some potentially popular new feature requests and, when that happens, I can invest some time to implement the new feature requests that are likely to spur enough donations to finance the next upgrade.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Good point. I also envisaged 3.3.1 at the earliest, if that was any more realistic Wink.

I can imagine your frustration. And I share your hope that donations will pick up. However, now that I think about it, I wonder if a roadmap might help here. I do not want to belittle your efforts in any way, but the big-fixing has also made the work seem a little ad-hoc.

Perhaps there are donors who would like to invest in a clear feature set, even if it means waiting longer.

Just thinking out loud (again) here..

-Oscar

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject:

To get back on topic: I also see this bug when an autosave is triggered. Something triggers a full redraw (perhaps because the progress bar is removed), and I get sent back to the cursor position.

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
To get back on topic: I also see this bug when an autosave is triggered. Something triggers a full redraw (perhaps because the progress bar is removed), and I get sent back to the cursor position.

That is the same OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 bug. Not only will the bug appear in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 when autosave occurs, it will occur when you manually save, print, or export to PDF as well.

In OpenOffice.org 3.2.1, it appears that Oracle's engineers fixed the bug when autosaving and manually saving, but it is still there when printing or exporting to PDF.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Good point. I also envisaged 3.3.1 at the earliest, if that was any more realistic Wink .

That makes sense. I really wanted to just highlight the potential risk that upgrading to a new OpenOffice.org version has so we should really wait for some noticeable new features in OpenOffice.org before we upgrade. It seems that it really takes a full 6 months to find and fix all of the bugs after we upgrade to a new OpenOffice.org version so skipping some OpenOffice.org releases is something I wholeheartedly agree with.

ovvldc wrote:
I can imagine your frustration. And I share your hope that donations will pick up. However, now that I think about it, I wonder if a roadmap might help here. I do not want to belittle your efforts in any way, but the big-fixing has also made the work seem a little ad-hoc.

I hope that I did not sound alarmed. Right now we more or less break even after covering our server, insurance, and modest salary costs and, in return, we are able to provide donors with rapid support so no immediate worries there.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject:

Although I still have not been able to locate the OpenOffice.org code that causes this "jumpback to cursor" behavior, I think that I have found a way to limit when it occurs. In the following test patch, the jumpback behavior should no longer occur while scrolling and it should only occur when you do the following actions:

- Click on the Mac OS X menubar
- Press a key shortcut
- Save
- Export as PDF

Ideally, I would like to fix the underlying OpenOffice.org bug as that bug has been one of the OpenOffice.org bugs that users have posted most frequently about, but hopefully this test patch lessens the irritation that that bug causes.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the jumpback while scrolling still ocurrs for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject:

I have good news! I found the OpenOffice.org 3.2 code that fixes their "jump back to cursor" bug. Although it took me many hours of reading code to find it, they changed only a single line of code to fix this bug so I was able to backport their fix into NeoOffice.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this jumpback bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this OpenOffice.org bug in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 4. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2