Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Why NeoOffice focuses to cursor?!
Why NeoOffice focuses to cursor?!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sta_admin
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Why NeoOffice focuses to cursor?!

Sometime I hate NeoOffice, even I can't live without it. Why I hate it? I hate it when I must edit long texts with lot of checkbox, lot of text and few text to write in... and when I scroll the text, I halt to click a checkbox but NeoOffice is faster and returns to cursors position. I searched more and more times to change this behavior, but can't find if's there a way to do it. I can only say that OpenOffice 3.2 and 3.3 didn't have it for default (or at all).
I hope there will be a way to change it in NeoOffice too, because for most other things I like NeoOffice over OpenOffice... Even I like to see NeoOffice go to 3.3 too...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Why NeoOffice focuses to cursor?!

sta_admin wrote:
Sometime I hate NeoOffice, even I can't live without it. Why I hate it? I hate it when I must edit long texts with lot of checkbox, lot of text and few text to write in... and when I scroll the text, I halt to click a checkbox but NeoOffice is faster and returns to cursors position. I searched more and more times to change this behavior, but can't find if's there a way to do it. I can only say that OpenOffice 3.2 and 3.3 didn't have it for default (or at all).

If you open a document, and wait about 10 to 15 seconds before scolling to a different page than the cursor is at, does this problem not occur?

If so, you are seeing a very subtle bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code. This bug does not occur immediately in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, but it does occur when you click and unclick the Insert menu. What appears to be happening in that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is that when the Insert menu is populated, the OpenOffice.org code moves the visible page back to the page where the cursor currently is. So, if the cursor is in the middle of the document and this OpenOffice.org bug occur, the visible page will shift back to the middle of the document where the cursor is located.

This OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 bug also occurs when saving or autosave occurs.

The reason that it occurs in NeoOffice when you first open the document is that NeoOffice has its underlying OpenOffice.org pre-populate all of the menus in the menubar so that the menus are responsive when clicked. In OpenOffice.org, menus are not populated until they are actually clicked so moving through the menus in the menubar seems to hang at certain points.

The reason that this bug seems to not occur after NeoOffice has had a document open for a short period of time is that the full menu pre-propulation has finished and the Insert menu bug has already moved to the cursor to the currently visible page so when you click on the menubar, this OpenOffice.org bug occurs but you do not notice it because the visible page does not change.

sta_admin wrote:
I hope there will be a way to change it in NeoOffice too, because for most other things I like NeoOffice over OpenOffice... Even I like to see NeoOffice go to 3.3 too...

Unfortunately, our very limited donations only supports one part time developer (me) so this limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing any critical crashing and hanging bugs that our users find.

While upgrading NeoOffice to a newer version of OpenOffice.org would fix this bug, I have bad news: the next upgrade work is not liklely to happen until the second half of 2011 at the earliest.

The reason is that Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.7 Lion release, like past Mac OS X releases, is likely to create lots of new bugs. So, for the immediate future we are spending all of our available development time on preemptive upgrading our existing to code to avoid the most likely Lion upgrade issues. After that work is done and Apple has Lion developer preview releases available, we will then be attacking any new crashing or hanging bugs that Lion might introduce.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Dear sta_admin,

I know your problem very well. What usually happens is that if you wait a second or two before scrolling off, the cursor will stop jumping back.

Not ideal, but I've learnt to live with it Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

sta_admin
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Why NeoOffice focuses to cursor?!

pluby wrote:

If you open a document, and wait about 10 to 15 seconds before scolling to a different page than the cursor is at, does this problem not occur?

No, the noisy problem happens during entry document editing. But I guess it's related to the same bug you cited. I made some tries, it can be replicated putting the cursor in the text in some point, scrolling the document and clicking on a checkbox somewhere else in the document.
Most of this documents are made with MS Office, in a first time I thought it was something inside the document it self, but I tried to make a new document with some page of text, tables and checkbox, and the problem happens anyway.
Even I understand your problems fixing critical bugs and developing new futures, I like to attach a document of the kind I often have to work on: you can try to replicate the bug, and can evaluate how noisy this bug can be to edit this kind of documents. The document is form to be compiled.
In any case, thanks for all your work.
sta_admin
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Dear sta_admin,
I know your problem very well. What usually happens is that if you wait a second or two before scrolling off, the cursor will stop jumping back.

I know that often the document jumps back without clicking anything: in this case I guess your suggestion can be useful. But If you have to click on a checkbox, it isn't enough: the unique possibility is to click somewhere in the text near the checkbox, before clicking the checkbox it self, but both aren't ideal way to work.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Why NeoOffice focuses to cursor?!

sta_admin wrote:
No, the noisy problem happens during entry document editing. But I guess it's related to the same bug you cited. I made some tries, it can be replicated putting the cursor in the text in some point, scrolling the document and clicking on a checkbox somewhere else in the document.
Most of this documents are made with MS Office, in a first time I thought it was something inside the document it self, but I tried to make a new document with some page of text, tables and checkbox, and the problem happens anyway.

Thank you for the sample document. I can definitely reproduce the bug when I uncheck any of the checkboxes in your document.

Since I cannot reproduce the bug in your particular document in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, it appears that the bug you are seeing might be a different bug than the one ovvldc were talking about.

I will investigate this bug further this week and post again when I have some data to report.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject:

After investigating the "jumpback when clicking on a checkbox" bug that you found, I have some good news and some bad news.

First the bad news: that bug is caused by the same OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 bug that makes clicking on the menubar jump back to the cursor.

The good news is that although I still have not been able to locate the OpenOffice.org code that causes this "jumpback to cursor" behavior, I think that I have found a way to limit when it occurs. In the following test patch, the jumpback behavior should no longer occur when clicking on a checkbox until you have done one of the following actions:

- Click on the Mac OS X menubar
- Press a key shortcut
- Save
- Export as PDF

Unfortunately, once you do any of the above actions, this OpenOffice.org bug will reappear whenever you click on a checkbox so at that point, ovvldc's recommendation to put the cursor near the checkbox that you are going to click on will still work.

Ideally, I would like to fix the underlying OpenOffice.org bug as that bug has been one of the OpenOffice.org bugs that users have posted most frequently about, but hopefully this test patch lessens the irritation that that bug causes while I continue to look for the OpenOffice.org code that causes this bug.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the jumpback when clicking on a checkbox before doing any of the above actions still occurs for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject:

I have good news! I found the OpenOffice.org 3.2 code that fixes their "jump back to cursor" bug. Although it took me many hours of reading code to find it, they changed only a single line of code to fix this bug so I was able to backport their fix into NeoOffice.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this jumpback bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
sta_admin
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the jumpback when clicking on a checkbox before doing any of the above actions still occurs for you?:

After installing the patch, NeoOffice worked exactly as you said: the checkbox didn't make the jumpback until I saved the document, after saved it was back.
The bug is really noisy for me (sometimes made me crazy), but I wouldn't you spend much time to fix it (if so much time is needed): I think it's better you try to accelerate transition to OpenOffice 3.3 code (where the bug should be solved). Even I guess the work to do is a lot and it can't be done in short time.
sta_admin
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject:

Previous message was related to "Patch-3-Test-1"... didn't see you posted "Patch-3-Test-3"... what can I say now? Wow! The problem seems solved! Thanks very much... and I hope it will be useful to others too.
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have good news! I found the OpenOffice.org 3.2 code that fixes their "jump back to cursor" bug. Although it took me many hours of reading code to find it, they changed only a single line of code to fix this bug so I was able to backport their fix into NeoOffice.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this jumpback bug is fixed for you?
Yesterday I ran into a similar jump back issue, which I now can confirm to be fixed with the test patch. Thank you very much for backporting the fix from the 3.2 code base.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this OpenOffice.org bug in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 4. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject:

I'm so please you tracked this down, Patrick. Good fix. This jump back business has been a persistent niggle, even though it was possible to work round it. Thank you for persisting with this.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Woot! Cool

I am very pleased!

Thanks for taking the time for tracking it down.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject:

One of code changes that I made when I was was searching for a fix for this OpenOffice.org bug was that I disabled NeoOffice's menu initialization code that helped make the first menubar click or the first keyboard shortcut pressed more responsive.

Today I added our menu initialization code back into NeoOffice and, for me, the first menubar click or first keyboard shortcut pressed much faster without causing this OpenOffice.org bug to reappear.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this jumpback bug is still fixed for you? Also, do you notice any speed improvement in the first menubar click or first keyboard shortcut pressed?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2-Patch-1-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2