Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New Crash, possibly?
New Crash, possibly?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: New Crash, possibly?

While logging info from Oscar replay, the Console:

2/27/11 9:55:00 PM [0x0-0xf00f].com.sony.ebook.readerlibrarylauncher[134] MacInterfacesChangedCallback: 1 keys changed
2/27/11 11:27:10 PM [0x0-0x27027].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[222] Invalid memory access of location 0x67 eip=0x1f7af9e
2/27/11 11:27:17 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[97] ([0x0-0x27027].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[222]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error
2/27/11 11:27:18 PM ReportCrash[2314] Saved crash report for soffice.bin[222] version 3.1.2 Patch 4 (3.1.2 Patch 4 Intel (pluby:guibomacmini.local.)) to /Users/ken/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/soffice.bin_2011-02-27-232718_MB-2.crash

Still on NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-4-Test-7-Intel
Added, Inserted, even Sorted 2 lines once, with only Auto saves for a long while.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject:

This appears to be another case of the other Go-oo crashing bug that you found.

The difficult part is how to reproduce this particular case. Do you have any ideas as to what steps might repeatably trigger this crash?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject:

Since I suspect that it will be difficult to reproduce this particular instance of this Go-oo crashing bug, I went ahead and tweaked my fix for that bug to use a safer approach. In the following test patch, I now abort the current processing loop if any possible sign of this crashing bug appears. Before I was trying to only skip the current item in the loop.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-4-Test-10-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-4-Test-10-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject:

I agree this would be difficult (impossible) to reproduce. It was working so well for the last few days.

I thought maybe by reading the entrails you could find an omen. Cool
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
I agree this would be difficult (impossible) to reproduce. It was working so well for the last few days.

I thought maybe by reading the entrails you could find an omen. Cool
-Ken

Well hopefully my guess of what is causing the latest crash is correct and test patch 10 that I posted earlier today finally fixes this particular crashing bug once and for all.

I will wait a couple of days before I release NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 5 with the fix in the latest test patch so let us know if you experience any crashing this week and I will hold off on releasing the patch until I finally fix this bug.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Since my problems (of recent) started in Patch 3 with drags, I can't remember if Patch 4 base had any problems. And as this crash was only of NO and not the system, you might be justified in going ahead. Don't let me push you as I'm working well.

I don't know the number of users of NO. I was shocked to find in the notes for the twice weekly or so update of calibre to learn David Kovid has 2 million users for transliterating e-books and a several other things. Wow. I don't think my software ever got over twenty active users.
-Ken
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Crash after many changes

Worked for more than 2 hours without a problem except an occasional stall. NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-4-Test-10-Intel MacOSX 10.6.6.

Last lines of Console:
3/3/11 3:34:41 PM [0x0-0xe00e].com.sony.ebook.readerlibrarylauncher[134] MacInterfacesChangedCallback: 1 keys changed
3/3/11 5:20:57 PM SubmitDiagInfo[3944] Removed expired file /Users/ken/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/soffice.bin_2011-02-17-163402_MB-2.crash
3/3/11 5:37:49 PM [0x0-0x4f04f].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[549] Invalid memory access of location 0x7052d005 eip=0x910b5f10
3/3/11 5:37:56 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[97] ([0x0-0x4f04f].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[549]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault
3/3/11 5:37:58 PM ReportCrash[3977] Saved crash report for soffice.bin[549] version 3.1.2 Patch 4 (3.1.2 Patch 4 Intel (pluby:guibomacmini.local.)) to /Users/ken/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/soffice.bin_2011-03-03-173757_MB-2.crash

I rooted out the TV install but no uninstall for the Sony reader.
I was perhaps stacking up the commands too quickly?
So close, -Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Your latest crash log is entirely different than your other crash logs. In the latest, the crash is occurring in Apple's code instead of the NeoOffice code.

Specifically, Apple's code is crashing when a we release a native Mac OS X text layout object. The crash is then occurring several layers deep within the Apple function that we invoke to release the object so I suspect that this crash might be due to an Apple bug or a corrupt font.

Have you seen any font issues on your machine in the recent past?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject:

I forgot to mention in my last post that since the last crash is in Apple's font handling functions, it might be a good idea to do the following 2 maintenance tasks:

1. Clear your machine's font cache - To do this, launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal command, copy the following two commands into the Terminal window, and press the Return key. Note that the second command will cause the Terminal application to prompt you for your password just like the NeoOffice installers do:

Code:
atsutil databases -removeUser
sudo atsutil databases -remove

2. Run disk repair on your main hard drive - To do this, reboot your machine and while it is rebooting, press the Command-S keys. This will boot your machine into single user, command line mode. When you see a prompt on the screen, type of the following command, press the Return key, and wait for it to finish running. When it is done, your machine will automatically reboot:

Code:
fsck -fy ; reboot

Let us know if you get any more crashes after doing the above.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Did the filesystem check and cleared the font cache. All OK. Updated OnyX and ran some of the checks and cleanups.

I do have Airport and occasionally Blue-tooth for earphone and once to download from phone.

So we will see.
-Ken
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject:

It has been running now for a while without a problem.

Not noted before was that when I would use cmd+X or C to cut or copy, usually followed by a cmd+- to kill the line, and then I would need to look back so I would use cmd+Z to restore and having found what was in the line, I would do a cmd+Y to redo the deletion. At that point it was most likely to crash. I have done that a few times recently with no problems. Good.

Perhaps, this is like in my programming where I would fix what I could and often along the way it would fix the problems, which I didn't know how to fix.

Cross fingers, -Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject:

That is very good news. I will release the current test patch code as NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 5 in the next 24 hours (I had it staged this weekend but I had not yet pushed it to our volunteer mirror sites). I will post again when Patch 5 is available for download.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject:

The NeoOffice 3.2beta discussion now has its own thread here
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1