Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Autosave (ie autorecovery) not working 3.2 beta?
Autosave (ie autorecovery) not working 3.2 beta?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Autosave (ie autorecovery) not working 3.2 beta?

Last night I saw my first crash of 3.2 beta. (By the way, is sending bug reports to apple helpful?)
I then discovered that the autosave is not working. I've check this morning in ~/Library/preferences/NeoOffice-3.0/backups ... I have autosave set to ten minutes; I have a "dirty" doc left and the autosave is hours ago. I would have expected that it was only a few minutes old.
I have "Save AutoRecovery" set to ten minutes and the "always save backup" turned off.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Autosave (ie autorecovery) not working 3.2 beta?

timrichardson wrote:
Last night I saw my first crash of 3.2 beta. (By the way, is sending bug reports to apple helpful?)

Can you please attach a crash log to this forum topic using the steps in this NeoWiki article so that we can look at it? Note: you may need to use the "Option B" steps to get the crash log for your previous crash.

Also, can you poste any of the steps that you did immediately before the crash that might help us reproduce the crash?

Once you have a crash log, attach it using the steps in this forum post.

timrichardson wrote:
I then discovered that the autosave is not working. I've check this morning in ~/Library/preferences/NeoOffice-3.0/backups ... I have autosave set to ten minutes; I have a "dirty" doc left and the autosave is hours ago. I would have expected that it was only a few minutes old.
I have "Save AutoRecovery" set to ten minutes and the "always save backup" turned off.

Autosave works fine for me. We are using the same underlying OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code in NeoOffice 3.2 Beta that we have used in all NeoOffice 3.1.x versions so first check if you did any of the following actions with 10 or 15 minutes of the crash:

1. Saved the current document - The OpenOffice.org will clear out all autosaved files when you do a manual save.

2. Closed the current document - If you close a document and do not save, the autosaved files will be cleared out as well.

3. Not made any changes during that time - If there have been no changes since the last autosave interval, no new autosave file will be created.

Also note that autosave is not a versioning feature and after each autosave, the OpenOffice.org code will clear out any previous autosave files for the current document.

Patrick
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Am I looking in the right folder for autosave files?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject:

timrichardson wrote:
Am I looking in the right folder for autosave files?

For both NeoOffice 3.1.x and 3.2.x versions, the folder is:

Code:
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0/user/backup

Note that backups is a subfolder of the "user" folder in the above path.

Also, we are really interested in the crash log as we consider crashing bugs extremely critical bugs. Even if the crashing bug is an OpenOffice.org bug, we will attempt to fix it as our goal is for NeoOffice to never crash.

Patrick
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject:

The crash was in my wife's mac, I'll see if i can get there log. I've reverted her to the least stable release. She lost hours of work, I'm convinced there is an autosave problem.
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject:

The crash was in my wife's mac, I'll see if i can get there log. I've reverted her to the least stable release. She lost hours of work, I'm convinced there is an autosave problem.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject:

timrichardson wrote:

If you are right, then it is also not working in NeoOffice 3.1.2 as NeoOffice 3.2 Beta has the exact same OpenOffice.org file saving code. We only changed the text layout and rendering code which is in a completely separate module of the OpenOffice.org code than the file saving code.

One possible theory I do have is that if the crash occurred while file saving was occurring (the OpenOffice.org code runs many tasks in parallel), is that the OpenOffice.org code removes the latest autosave file immediately before starting the manual save. Note that this is just a theory since the OpenOffice.org file saving code runs largely without any modification within NeoOffice.

Patrick
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick. Here is some more info about the missing autosave.
This is from my Mac, using the beta release.

Preference setting:Save auto-recover information every 10 minutes
Always create backup copy: false.

My example file is
"GrowthPath preparation of business plan v10.odt"

In folder
/Users/tim/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0/user/backup

there is a file:
GrowthPath preparation of business plan v10.bak
with modify date: 29 Mar 21:53

current time is Wed 30 Mar 2011 11:48:04 EST
the file is modified and open for more than ten minutes.
Therefore, there appears to be no auto-save file.
Also, why is the .bak file present? Should it not be deleted as part of housekeeping?

permissions of the existing file
-rw-------@ 1 tim staff 3227087 29 Mar 21:53 GrowthPath preparation of business plan v10.bak

Let me know how we can help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject:

timrichardson wrote:
Preference setting:Save auto-recover information every 10 minutes
Always create backup copy: false.

My example file is
"GrowthPath preparation of business plan v10.odt"

In folder
/Users/tim/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0/user/backup

there is a file:
GrowthPath preparation of business plan v10.bak
with modify date: 29 Mar 21:53

I am getting different results than you. When I set the above to preferences running NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 1 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and open and edit an .odt file, I see the following in the same "backup" folder after 10 minutes:

Code:
test.odt_0.odt

Autosaved files append " _number.odt" onto the filename so your ".bak" file is definitely not an autosave file and is likely an old backup file that the OpenOffice.org code has not yet cleared.

So can, you provide the following two pieces of data that I can use to compare to my own installation? Hopefully this will help me see if anything is slightly different in your installation that is triggering this:

1. Select the Apple :: About This Mac menu and tell us the Mac OS X version that you are running.

2. Select NeoOffice's Help :: About NeoOffice menu and tell us with NeoOffice 3.2 Beta patch is listed.

3. Select the Tools :: Option menu and select the Load/Save :: General item, take a screen snapshot of the dialog window, and attach the screen snapshot. To create a screen snapshot of that dialog, press the Shift-Command-4 keys and then highlight the entire dialog window. That will create a .png file on your Desktop that you can attach.

Patrick
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I deleted the existing .bak file, but still no new file has been saved. The document is modified.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject:

timrichardson wrote:
I deleted the existing .bak file, but still no new file has been saved. The document is modified.

I suspected that the .bak file was unrelated to this problem. What I really need is the 3 pieces of data that I asked for so that I can replicate your installation exactly and then see if I can reproduce the problem that you are experiencing.

Patrick
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: requested data

OS X: Version 10.6.7 Build 10J3250
NeoOffice 3.2 Beta Patch 1

picture attached. In case it's something to do with the file name, I'm trying the same document with a shorter name and the original name.
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject:

... and now it is working.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject:

timrichardson wrote:
... and now it is working.

I will try with various combinations of file name size and file names with spaces in them. Like you, it works fine with a short, no spaces file name.

I will post again when I have more details.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I will try with various combinations of file name size and file names with spaces in them. Like you, it works fine with a short, no spaces file name.

So I tried with the following file names and all of them autosaved successfully for me:

- test.odt
- test test.odt
- GrowthPath preparation of business plan v10.odt

Is the name of the file that is failing longer than the above 3? Or is the path to the file long? If either case, can you paste the full path of the file? I can then create a test file and find out whether the file name or path length are triggering the failure.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum