Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - My Intel Mac isn't recognized so you won't let me update!
My Intel Mac isn't recognized so you won't let me update!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h_sundt
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: My Intel Mac isn't recognized so you won't let me update!

you constantly error message me

Quote:
Important: You may not be able to download or install NeoOffice. You can only install NeoOffice on a Mac OS X machine and your web browser does not appear to be running on a Mac OS X machine

Then I get kicked out to old download page or donate page.

I operate both Firefox 4.0 and Safari 5.0.5 on an
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
running
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.7.0

And if there is a setting in my browser that identifies me or my Mac or my browser I Don't Want it to do so.

Can I use Interarchy? Evil or Very Mad Confused
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: My Intel Mac isn't recognized so you won't let me update

h_sundt wrote:

you constantly error message me

Quote:
Important: You may not be able to download or install NeoOffice. You can only install NeoOffice on a Mac OS X machine and your web browser does not appear to be running on a Mac OS X machine

I checked our web logs and it looks like you are using some software that is making your web browser send garbage in a field that browsers normally put the standard browser and machine type in. Specifically, you have the same as this other user's browser.

In other words, whatever software or firewall you are using, it makes all your web connections look like they are from an automated spammer. That probably isn't your intent, but since automated spam and search bot requests are constantly flooding our servers, we only let browsers that advertise that they are coming from a Mac machine access our servers.

Have you installed any new Firefox or Safari web browser add-ons recently that might be the cause of this?

Quote:
Can I use Interarchy? Evil or Very Mad Confused

Fortunately, you can use the cURL command bundled with Mac OS X as a workaround that does not require uninstalling any software. When you try downloading the patch, look for the "Problems?" section about half way down the page and in that section click on one of the "use cURL" links. That will open a webpage that has a command that you can copy and paste into the Terminal application to download the patch to your Desktop.

Are you able to download the patch using the cURL command? I know that the cURL workaround may not be convenient, but before we put this in place a couple years ago, automated spammers from various Chinese IP addresses ran up nearly a thousand dollars in excess bandwidth overage charges for us so we cannot afford to remove this protection and open the floodgates to our servers.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject:

I may have some good news. Before you try using the cURL command, try downloading the patch again. You will still see the warning that you might not be able to download, but since no donation is required to download our patches several volunteer mirrors host our patches.

So, after you see the warning, try click on each the mirrors in the list at the bottom of the page and see if any allow you to download. You should find at least a few that can afford much more bandwidth than we can and do not need to restrict downloads like we do.

Do the above steps allow you to download the patch?

Patrick
h_sundt
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Interesting inconsistent behavior

I did as you suggested and was not daunted.

I got the protest BUT FOR AN INSTANT
the multiple download sites page showed - I clicked one
and the page stayed
[http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/patchmirrors.php?file=NeoOffice-3.2-Patch-1-Intel.dmg]

this time I wasn't immediately bumped to the donation page.

Which is interesting.

As an aside... I am not unhappy Little Snitch or my Intego firewall is
Quote:
rendering me modest before the billion electron eyes of earth.
Shocked
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting inconsistent behavior

h_sundt wrote:
I got the protest BUT FOR AN INSTANT
the multiple download sites page showed....

So the patch download page automatically started downloading? If so, then something is not working right as I added code to the webpages to not start the downloading automatically if you get the "not a Mac" warning so that people using user agent masking tools like yourself will see the list of mirrors.

Let me know if automatic download is still running and I will see if I can reproduce what you are seeing.

Patrick
h_sundt
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: No concern

It did not start to download automagically.

What happened was I was able to click to the download page and click a download url BEFORE I was dumped back into the donation page.

I think the behavior I have seen was inconsistent and likely do to me having 2 watchdog programs running.

Their chemistry might change each time I return to the same page as their distinct check cycles have different time durations. (loops of different lengths)

Dos that make sense?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: No concern

h_sundt wrote:
Dos that make sense?

Yes, it now makes sense. Since there are only 10 or so volunteer mirrors, I tested each of them to determine which of them do not have a "Mac only" restriction. I then changed the website code so that if your browser tells our server that it is not a Mac like in your case, you get the warning and then we list only the mirrors that do not have a "Mac only" restriction and the first mirror will be used to automatically download the patch.

Can you go to the NeoOffice patch download page and confirm that this works in your browser? If it works for you, can you try downloading NeoOffice 3.2 as well? You can cancel the download when your browser starts downloading it. I just want to make sure that the download starts once you login into the donor downloads login form.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting inconsistent behavior

h_sundt wrote:
As an aside... I am not unhappy Little Snitch or my Intego firewall is
Quote:
rendering me modest before the billion electron eyes of earth.
Shocked

Just FYI (and also off-topic), wearing my other hat as a browser developer, doing that actually makes it *easier* for sites to track you, because you have such a unique UA string (rather than an extremely common "normal" one); see, for instance, the EFF's Panopticlick project.

…In addition to breaking other websites and the NeoOffice download page Wink

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting inconsistent behavior

sardisson wrote:
…In addition to breaking other websites and the NeoOffice download page Wink

While tweaking our website's code cost me a couple hours of time, I am glad that I took the time to do so as I think this is going to become more and more common. I would not be surprised to see many corporations start using web proxy software to put in randomly changing user agent fields and other attempts to anonymize their employees' web requests.

I am just glad that we can now handle these cases without having to do any massive changes to our website's code. The "not a Mac" warning will be a little annoying, but I kept it there for the increasing number of people that try to download NeoOffice for their iPad. My thinking is that it is best to warn them so that they don't donate and then find out that NeoOffice does not run on their iPad.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1