Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Mystery page before a page break
Mystery page before a page break

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Mystery page before a page break

Attached is a template we use quite often in our office. The last page has a page break for formatting. It is a total of 4 pages.

Normally, when we configure the document for a specific client, paragraphs are deleted and we end up with 3 pages. However, Neo will continue to say there are 4 pages and print a blank page three, even though we cannot see, type on or delete this mysterious page 3.

We are using 3.2.2

To reproduce the error, simply delete the first first paragraphs until you visually have three pages.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample file. I can reproduce the problem that you described in NeoOffice 3.2. Since I can also reproduce it in the latest versions of OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice - NeoOffice is based on earlier versions of their code - that means that something inside the file is triggering this strange behavior.

I will at directly at the data embedded within the .ott file to see if I can find and remove whatever data in the file is triggering this bahavior.

When I have a found the cause of this problem, I will post a copy of your .ott file with the trigger data removed.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I think I found the what triggers the insertion of the blank page: your template has the last page set to use the "Index" page style. The Index page style is a built-in page style designed for index pages at the end of a book. Since book indexes usually start on a right hand (even numbered) page, that page style will automatically add a blank page if the page is a left hand (odd numbered) page.

To fix this problem, I changed the page style of the last page to the "Default" page style by moving the cursor to the last page, selecting the Format :: Styles and Formatting menu, and in the floating window that appears, clicking on Page Styles icon and double-click on the "Default" style in the list.

I then resaved my edits to an .ott file which is attached. Does my attached .ott file fix the problem for you?

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Thank you!

Fantastic! Thanks! Funny, seems so obvious now what the problem was... Cheers!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you!

CCJ wrote:
Fantastic! Thanks, Patrick! Funny, seems so obvious now what the problem was... Cheers!

It definitely wasn't obvious to me. I definitely had to look at a lot of different things before I found it. It was only after I found the cause that the reason for the behavior made sense.

Interestingly, I found a bug while troubleshooting your problem. When I deleted a few paragraphs and the blank page was inserted when printing to the Preview application, I noticed that the Preview application opened 2 separate PDF documents. In other words, the automatically inserted blank page was splitting one print job into two print jobs.

I went ahead and fixed this bug in the following NeoOffice 3.2 test patch. Can you try printing one of your documents that had the blank page problem but press the Preview button in Print dialog? Does only one single PDF document open in the Preview application for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2-Patch-2-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject:

That's when you know you're good at your job - when you make it seem easy to others!

The test patch worked and it is now one document in Preview.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for the bug described in my earlier post that causes more than one print job to be created when printing. The fix is in NeoOffice 3.2 Patch 3 which can be downloaded from here.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1