· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - quicklook
quicklook

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzume
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: quicklook

I've had QL problems for ODF files for a while now and thought about investigating it today. I read the 2009 thread that mentioned QL not working and tried the following:

1) check QL support for ODF files from a guest account: OK
2) remove all the QL plugins from the local library
3) remove NeoOffice and restart

-> I can QL ODT files but ODS files look like zipped files and I can't seem to trigger QL

4) re-install NO (incl. the beta 3) and restart

-> QL does not seem to work anymore on ODT files.

I work with OSX 10.6.7
suzume
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: QL, weird

I tried LibreOffice and QL worked well. I removed it, logged out and in again and now QL works with NO only. I checked qlmanage -m and only see neooffice related generators.

That's weird. But it seems the issue is fixed now. Sorry for the hassle.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject:

Did you do the last save of the problematic ODF files using NeoOffice? I ask because NeoOffice's QuickLook plugin will not work with ODF files last saved by OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice.

When you save a file in NeoOffice, NeoOffice creates a PDF file of the first page of your document and embeds that PDF file in the ODF file that you saved. Then, NeoOffice's QuickLook plugin will look for that embedded PDF file and if it is there, will use that.

If you last saved an ODF file using OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice, neither will embed a PDF file so NeoOffice's QuickLook plugin will hand off rendering to Mac OS X's QuickLook plugins.

Also, if you have OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice installed, Mac OS X may use their QuickLook plugins to render the file instead of NeoOffice's QuickLook plugin. Both OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice's plugins display a small, low resolution image instead of the high resolution PDF file that NeoOffice's plugin displays.

Hope that helps clarify how NeoOffice's QuickLook plugin works.

Patrick
suzume
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I don't use OOo or LO because of a weird bug that I don't have when I use NO but that's a different story.

In the case at hand, I downloaded LO specifically to check the QL behavior after removing NO (emptying the trash and rebooting).

And I checked the behavior before installing LO and without NO, on a guest account, and ODT files worked fine (ODS were shown as zipped files).

Anyway, it seems to be fixed now. I guess cleanly removing everything and reinstalling did remove conflicting files...

Thanks for the explanations anyway.
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: QL Plugin not working for us

Hi Patrick

I didn't even know there was a QL plugin until I came across this post while researching answers to the question you answered for me today (mystery page).

We've been using NeoOffice through several version nows and I've never had quick look work. Should I try a complete reinstall or check something else first?

Shanna
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: QL Plugin not working for us

CCJ wrote:
We've been using NeoOffice through several version nows and I've never had quick look work. Should I try a complete reinstall or check something else first?

I would first verify that the problem files were last saved by NeoOffice. NeoOffice's Quick Look plugin will only work with files saved by NeoOffice so if you save any files with OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice or TextEdit, our Quick Look plugin won't find any PDF data inside the file that we can use to render a Quick Look preview.

If you are certain that you last saved the files in NeoOffice, the next thing to do is launch NeoOffice and check that the NeoOffice :: Mac OS X Options :: Disable Quick Look Support in Documents menu is not checked.

If that menu was already unchecked, then the next thing to do is launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and paste the output from the Terminal window into your reply post. This will tell us which applications have registered a Quick Look plugin that might be conflicting with NeoOffice's plugin:

Code:
qlmanage -m

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: I think I found my answer

Looking at a post from 2005 on how to turn QL plugin off, I found the generator in the Package Contents, copied it directly into my MacHD => Library => Quicklook folder and voila!

Works now for .ODT Doesn't work for .OTT, but I'm thinking that it is not supposed to.
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject:

I must have been typing the same time you were!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: I think I found my answer

CCJ wrote:
Looking at a post from 2005 on how to turn QL plugin off, I found the generator in the Package Contents, copied it directly into my MacHD => Library => Quicklook folder and voila!

Works now for .ODT Doesn't work for .OTT, but I'm thinking that it is not supposed to.

It should work for .ott files as it works for me with the .ott file that you attached to your open forum.

Can you remove the generator that you copied to your MacHD :: Library :: Quicklook folder, reboot, and then do the Terminal commands in my last post?

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject:

I've deleted the generator I copied in. Disable was NOT checked. We only use NeoOffice.

Terminal info below:

Last login: Wed May 11 09:48:38 on console
Shannas-iMac:~ Shanna$ qlmanage -m
server: living for 7s (1 requests handled - 0 generated thumbnails) - instant off: yes - arch: X86_64 - user id: 502
memory used: 0 MB (1044320 bytes)
last burst: during 0.004s - 1 requests - 0.000s idle
plugins:
org.openxmlformats.presentationml.slideshow -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.adobe.pdf -> /System/Library/QuickLook/PDF.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.apple.iwork.keynote.key -> /Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator (11)
org.neooffice.draw -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.apple.application -> /System/Library/QuickLook/StandardBundles.qlgenerator (327.6 - loaded)
com.apple.ical.bookmark -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/iCal.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.oasis.opendocument.text-master -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.apple.application-bundle -> /System/Library/QuickLook/StandardBundles.qlgenerator (327.6 - loaded)
com.microsoft.powerpoint.pot -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.microsoft.word.doc -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
org.openxmlformats.wordprocessingml.template.macroenabled -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.apple.iwork.keynote.sffkey -> /Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator (11)
com.apple.ichat.ichat -> /System/Library/QuickLook/iChat.qlgenerator (745)
org.neooffice.calc -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.apple.quartz-composer-composition -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/QuartzComposer.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.microsoft.word.dot -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.techsmith.snagproj -> /Applications/Snagit.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/SnagitQuicklookGenerator.qlgenerator (1.0)
org.openxmlformats.presentationml.template.macroenabled -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.apple.keynote.key -> /Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator (11)
com.apple.mail.email -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/Mail.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.parallels.vm.vmpackage -> /Library/QuickLook/ParallelsQL.qlgenerator (1.1)
public.movie -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/Movie.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.apple.iwork.pages.sffpages -> /Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator (11)
com.apple.iwork.numbers.sffnumbers -> /Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator (11)
com.apple.package -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Package.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.openxmlformats.wordprocessingml.document.macroenabled -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.apple.ical.ics -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/iCal.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.livescribe.pencast -> /Applications/LivescribeDesktop.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/PencastQuickLook.qlgenerator (1.0)
org.oasis-open.opendocument.text -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
org.openxmlformats.wordprocessingml.template -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.apple.ical.ics.event -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/iCal.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.microsoft.excel.xlt -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
org.oasis-open.opendocument.formula -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
org.openxmlformats.presentationml.slideshow.macroenabled -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.microsoft.word.stationery -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
public.xml -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Text.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.openxmlformats.wordprocessingml.document -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.apple.rtfd -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Text.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.apple.garageband.project -> /Library/QuickLook/GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator (398)
com.apple.systempreference.prefpane -> /System/Library/QuickLook/StandardBundles.qlgenerator (327.6 - loaded)
org.openxmlformats.spreadsheetml.template -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
public.font -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/Font.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.adobe.illustrator.ai-image -> /System/Library/QuickLook/EPS.qlgenerator (327.6)
public.vcard -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/Contact.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.apple.finder.textclipping -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Clippings.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.openxmlformats.presentationml.template -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
org.oasis.opendocument.graphics -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
org.openxmlformats.spreadsheetml.template.macroenabled -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.apple.iwork.numbers.numbers -> /Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator (11)
com.apple.iwork.pages.pages -> /Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator (11)
com.apple.ichat.transcript -> /System/Library/QuickLook/iChat.qlgenerator (745)
com.apple.mail.emlx -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/Mail.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.apple.addressbook.group -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/Contact.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.apple.property-list -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Text.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.oasis-open.opendocument.graphics -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.apple.addressbook.person -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/Contact.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.apple.safari.history -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/Bookmark.qlgenerator (327.6)
public.html -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Web.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.oasis.opendocument.formula -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.microsoft.powerpoint.pps -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
public.plain-text -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Text.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
org.neooffice.writer -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
public.audio -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Audio.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.neooffice.impress -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.apple.safari.bookmark -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/Bookmark.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.khronos.collada.digital-asset-exchange -> /System/Library/QuickLook/MeshKit.qlgenerator (49.2)
com.apple.pict -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Clippings.qlgenerator (327.6)
public.xhtml -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Web.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.openxmlformats.presentationml.presentation.macroenabled -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
org.neooffice.writer.global -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.apple.finder.pictclipping -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Clippings.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.culturedcode.thingsitem -> /Applications/Things.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/ThingsQuickLookGenerator.qlgenerator (1.0)
com.apple.ical.bookmark.todo -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/iCal.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.apple.webarchive -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Web.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.openxmlformats.presentationml.presentation -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
public.svg-image -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Web.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.oasis-open.opendocument.spreadsheet -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
org.oasis.opendocument.text -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.apple.garageband.template.magic -> /Library/QuickLook/GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator (398)
org.openxmlformats.spreadsheetml.sheet -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
org.oasis-open.opendocument.text-master -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.microsoft.excel.xls -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
org.oasis-open.opendocument.presentation -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
org.openxmlformats.spreadsheetml.sheet.macroenabled -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
public.rtf -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Text.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.adobe.encapsulated-postscript -> /System/Library/QuickLook/EPS.qlgenerator (327.6)
com.microsoft.powerpoint.ppt -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
public.comma-separated-values-text -> /System/Library/QuickLook/Office.qlgenerator (26.0)
com.apple.ical.ics.todo -> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generators/iCal.qlgenerator (327.6)
org.oasis.opendocument.presentation -> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/neopeek.qlgenerator (1.0.1)
com.apple.garageband.template.magicmentor -> /Library/QuickLook/GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator (398)

Shannas-iMac:~ Shanna$
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject:

Your output says that Mac OS X has properly assigned NeoOffice's Quick Look plugin to be the handler for all .odt and .ott files so it is odd that Mac OS X is not invoking our plugin to render the icons.

Can you try right-clicking or Control-clicking on an .ott file and in the popup menu that appears, select the Quick Look menu? Does a window appear on the screen that displays first page (and only the first page) of your document?

If nothing or something different appears, can you run the following Terminal commands and retry the above steps?:

Code:
qlmanage -r
qlmanage -r cache

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject:

No, still nothing on the .OTT files. But I was much more interested in viewing the .ODT files and that is working for me.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject:

CCJ wrote:
No, still nothing on the .OTT files. But I was much more interested in viewing the .ODT files and that is working for me.

Can you attach one of the problem .ott files? It seems odd that they work for me but not for you.

Patrick
CCJ
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject:

Here you are.

Shanna
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample .ott file. Your .ott file has the embedded PDF that our plugin needs and it rendered without a problem. The key was that I was working on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion today so I rebooted into both Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.6.7 and, sure enough, rendering failed.

I will take a closer look at our plugin to see why it is failing on all but the newest (and not yet released) version of Mac OS X. When I have some news, I will post an update.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum