Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Lion new features?
Lion new features?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Lion new features?

Just a question, for clarity:

What, if any, of the new features of iCloud and Lion that were unveiled yesterday at WWDC are to be used in the new version of NeoOffice?

I am thinking that Patrick has very little time to work with these features, and just making sure that NeoOffice runs smoothly has already taken up enough time. But I wanted to check.

Best wishes,
Oscar

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I imagine iCloud import/export would be a nifty addition for NeoOffice and NO Mobile. Time will tell if the APIs are rich enough to be useful for third-party apps.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject:

Since we have had very few new issues with NeoOffice 3.2. since we released it in April, I have been spending a lot of time in the two months investigating integrating the following 2 new Lion features into NeoOffice (see Apple's Lion page for descriptions and screen snapshots of these features):

Versions

Since we using versioning tools for our source code and versioning is built into NeoOffice Mobile, we are betting that versioning of documents will be a very popular feature for Lion users.

Although we cannot post screen snapshots due to the NDA that Apple has put on developers using their Lion developer preview releases, I can tell you that we have finished most of the initial implementation of Versions in NeoOffice. I am sure that there are plenty of bugs that will need fixing, but when you save changes to an existing document, a new version will be created and you can browse and restore previous versions like is shown in the screen snapshot on Apple's site.

Resume

This might be a useful feature for people work with the same set of documents repeatedly so we have already finished most of the initial implementation of this feature. Also, we expect that some users will find this new Lion feature annoying so we will add a "Disable Mac OS X Resume" menu item in the NeoOffice :: Mac OS X Options menu so that users can disable this feature within NeoOffice if they choose to.

Since Lion will not be out until sometime in July, we are confident that we can release NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta with the above two features immediately after Apple releases Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

There are a few other features that might be applicable to NeoOffice. We have not looked at any of the following, but if many donors are interested in any of these features, please post a reply to this forum topic and let us know:

Full-Screen

This might be something that some donors may be interested in especially those that use Mac laptops with small screens. Although we do not yet know if this feature is feasible to implement, it is possible that we can reengineer the existing NeoOffice "full screen" menus' behavior to be a proper full screen.

Are any donors interested in seeing this feature in NeoOffice after we finish implementing Versions and Resume? If so, please post a reply to this forum topic to let us know.

Auto Save

By default, NeoOffice (as well as OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice) saves your unsaved changes to a temporary file every 15 minutes so that if NeoOffice crashes, you can recover most of your unsaved changes. In contrast, Lion's new Auto Save feature does a full save (like selecting the File :: Save menu) every 60 minutes if there are any unsaved changes.

To us, Auto Save is a little different than NeoOffice's auto recovery but it still seems that Lion's Auto Save would merely duplicate NeoOffice's auto recovery so we have not planned on implementing this feature.

iCloud

We know nothing about this yet except that MobileMe users will likely be forced to move to iCloud just like iDisk users were forced to move to MobileMe. Since both iDisk and MobileMe allowed users to read and write to their iDisk and MobileMe cloud-based storage using the same file I/O APIs that are used for regular local files, we are hopeful that Apple will continue to support this same level of support for iCloud storage. If they do continue this support, NeoOffice should be able to work with iCloud the same as it has with iDisk and MobileMe.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject:

Cool stuff Smile
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the rundown. Smile
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject:

i recently picked up an Air. i solved my screen issue in NeoOffice by putting the tool bars vertically on the left hand side. It isn't always convenient, but neither is scrolling every 10 seconds to see the document.

side rant: with screens going wide not tall why do companies still insist on loading up the bars on the top? i

-j

/who still has two cents from time to time to give
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject:

FYI. Now that Apple has announced that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion will be released in July and our Versions and Resume code is working, it seems pretty safe to commit to a 1 August 2011 release date for NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta.

I have added the release data on the main website's home page and a description of the Versions and Resume features on the main website's feature list page.

Once Apple releases Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, I will post screen snapshots of these features on the main website's feature list page.

Patrick
HendrikPon
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Versions:

Nice to have as long as user can decide when to save.

Resume:

H'm. If it's optional as you plan then ok. I'll probably turn it off.

Auto Save:

I agree that this doesn't seem really necessary. I prefer to save manually since with auto save on the hour an incomplete or bad state of a document may be saved. Resulting in a bad/incomplete version.

Full screen:

On a (smallish) laptop this would be very nice to have.

/HP
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject:

HendrikPon wrote:
Versions:

Nice to have as long as user can decide when to save.

Unlike TextEdit, NeoOffice will have Mac OS X's Auto Save feature completely disabled so a new version will be created only when you save a file using the File :: Save menu or press the button Save toolbar button.

HendrikPon wrote:
Resume:

H'm. If it's optional as you plan then ok. I'll probably turn it off.

FYI. You can see a screen snapshot of the new NeoOffice menu that will disable this feature here.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject:

To Dutch:

pluby wrote:
I have added the release data on the main website's home page

Code:
NeoOffice 3.2 nu verkrijgbaar

NeoOffice gebruikers: NeoOffice 3.2 Patch 3 ruimt een oud probleem met vergroten/verkleinen van vensters op.

Vanaf 1 augustus 2011 zal NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta beschikbaar zijn. Deze versie zal de nieuwe functies voor Versies en Hervatten  toevoegen voor Mac OS X 10.7 Lion gebruikers.

NeoOffice is een complete set van kantoorprogramma's voor Mac OS X. Het is gestart in 2003 toen er geen Mac OS X versie van OpenOffice.org bestond. Patrick Luby en Edward Peterlin hebben hun jarenlange ervaring in het maken van Mac toegewend om een set kantoorprogramma's te maken die is toegesneden op de unieke behoeften van Mac gebruikers.

Hoewel OpenOffice.org en LibreOffice nu ook Mac OS X versies hebben, voegen Patrick en Ed doorlopend verbeteringen toe die Mac OS X gebruikers niet in OpenOffice.org of LibreOffice zullen vinden, zoals:

*Ontzettend stabiele Mac OS X programmacode die sinds 2003 dagelijks wordt gebruikt door honderdduizenden NeoOffice gebruikers
*Forse snelheidsverbeteringen op _tekstopmaak en afdrukken_ in OpenOffice.org
*_Mac OS X-eigen tekstmarkering_
*_Systeem-eigen ondersteuning voor blokkeren van bestanden_ op lokale- en netwerkschijven
*_Ondersteuning voor Mac OS X Voorzieningen_
*_Mac OS X-eigen zwevende hulpvensters_

pluby wrote:
and a description of the Versions and Resume features on the main website's feature list page.

Code:
NeoOffice is een complete set van kantoorprogramma's voor Mac OS X. Het is gestart in 2003 toen er geen Mac OS X versie van OpenOffice.org bestond. Patrick Luby en Edward Peterlin hebben hun jarenlange ervaring in het maken van Mac toegewend om een set kantoorprogramma's te maken die is toegesneden op de unieke behoeften van Mac gebruikers.

Hoewel OpenOffice.org en LibreOffice nu ook Mac OS X versies hebben, voegen Patrick en Ed doorlopend verbeteringen toe die Mac OS X gebruikers niet in OpenOffice.org of LibreOffice zullen vinden, zoals:

*Ontzettend stabiele Mac OS X programmacode die sinds 2003 dagelijks wordt gebruikt door honderdduizenden NeoOffice gebruikers
*Forse snelheidsverbeteringen op _tekstopmaak en afdrukken_ in OpenOffice.org
*_Mac OS X-eigen tekstmarkering_
*_Systeem-eigen ondersteuning voor blokkeren van bestanden_ op lokale- en netwerkschijven
*_Ondersteuning voor Mac OS X Voorzieningen_
*_Mac OS X-eigen zwevende hulpvensters_

Nieuw in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta

Vanaf 1 augustus 2011 zal NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta beschikbaar zijn. Deze versie zal twee nieuwe mogelijkheden toevoegen voor Mac OS X 10.7 Lion gebruikers:

*Versies

In Mac OS X 10.7 Lion heeft Apple de optie _Versies_ toegevoegd. Versions laat programmas eerdere versies van uw document opslaan en terughalen. Met deze nieuwe optie zorgt opslaan van een document er voor dat Mac OS X een kopie van het document bewaart voordat de wijzigingen worden opgeslagen, zodat uw iedere vorige versie van uw document kunt terughalen.

De makers van NeoOffice hebben deze nieuwe mogelijkheid van Mac OS X toegevoegd en vanaf NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta zal opslaan van aa bestand automatisch een kopie bewaren voordat wijzingen wordne doorgevoerd. Vanuit het nieuwe NeoOffice Menu 'Bekijk alle versies' kunt u iedere vorige versie bekijken in de document version browser van Apple.

*Hervatten

In Max OS X 10.7 Lion heeft Apple de nieuwe optie _Hervatten_ toegevoegd, die programmas automatische de documenten laat openen die geopend waren toen het programma de laatste keer werd afgesloten. Deze mogelijkheid laat Mac OS X gebruikers het tijdrovende process vermijden van heropenen van documenten nadat een programma is gestart.

De makers van NeoOffice hebben deze nieuwe mogelijkheid van Mac OS X toegevoegd en vanaf NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta zal NeoOffice bij aanvang automatische alle documenten heropenen die waren geopend toen u NeoOffice laatst afsloot. NeoOffice gebruikers die deze eigenschap niet bevalt kunnen dit uitschakelen in het nieuwe menu NeoOffice :: Mac OS X Options :: Disable Mac OS X Resume.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject:

Oscar,

Thank you for the translations. However I found a few small issues:

ovvldc wrote:
Vanaf 1 augustus 2011 zal NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta beschikbaar zijn. Deze versie zal de nieuwe functies voor Versies en Hervatten toevoegen voor Mac OS X 10.7 Lion gebruikers.

I noticed that you dropped Apple from the English. I think that it is important to be clear that we are implementing Apple's new Versions and Resume features because OpenOffice.org and Microsoft Office already have their own custom Versions features which works much differently from Apple's Versions feature (OpenOffice.org and Microsoft Office embed the old versions within the document file whereas Apple keeps the versions in a separate, secure location on your computer).

Also, I have not found any Dutch translations of either feature on Apple's website so do you think should we use Apple's English "Versions" and "Resume" names?

ovvldc wrote:
De makers van NeoOffice hebben deze nieuwe mogelijkheid van Mac OS X toegevoegd en vanaf NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta zal NeoOffice bij aanvang automatische alle documenten heropenen die waren geopend toen u NeoOffice laatst afsloot. NeoOffice gebruikers die deze eigenschap niet bevalt kunnen dit uitschakelen in het nieuwe menu NeoOffice :: Mac OS X Options :: Disable Mac OS X Resume.

If you can translate the last 2 menus in the screen snapshot and use the translated menu in your text, I can add a screen snapshot of the Dutch menus on the website.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
Vanaf 1 augustus 2011 zal NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta beschikbaar zijn. Deze versie zal de nieuwe Apple functies voor Versions en Resume toevoegen voor Mac OS X 10.7 Lion gebruikers.

I noticed that you dropped Apple from the English. ...

Also, I have not found any Dutch translations of either feature on Apple's website so do you think should we use Apple's English "Versions" and "Resume" names?

Sorry, dropping Apple was an oversight on my part. For the rest I checked on the website and they seem to be sticking to english names for all the features for now, so let's mimic that.

pluby wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
De makers van NeoOffice hebben deze nieuwe mogelijkheid van Mac OS X toegevoegd en vanaf NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta zal NeoOffice bij aanvang automatische alle documenten heropenen die waren geopend toen u NeoOffice laatst afsloot. NeoOffice gebruikers die deze eigenschap niet bevalt kunnen dit uitschakelen in het nieuwe menu NeoOffice :: Mac OS X Opties :: Mac OS X Resume uitschakelen.

If you can translate the last 2 menus in the screen snapshot and use the translated menu in your text, I can add a screen snapshot of the Dutch menus on the website.

No problem.
Code:
NeoOffice :: Mac OS X opties :: Mac OS X Versions uitschakelen
NeoOffice :: Mac OS X opties :: Mac OS X Resume uitschakelen

However, I wonder if disable is the right term. it might imply that you are shutting it down system-wide. I might be overreacting but you could also go for 'Do not use ...', in which case you should replace '... uitschakelen' with '... niet gebruiken'.

It isn't as much of a problem for the other menu options, which are more clearly applicable to NeoOffice only.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have posted your translations on the main website.

There were a few items that I was unsure about. Those items are listed below:

ovvldc wrote:
Sorry, dropping Apple was an oversight on my part. For the rest I checked on the website and they seem to be sticking to english names for all the features for now, so let's mimic that.

I was unsure where to put "Apple's" so can you post the full translation for that line? It is still in English on the main Dutch page.

Code:
NeoOffice :: Mac OS X opties :: Mac OS X Versions uitschakelen
NeoOffice :: Mac OS X opties :: Mac OS X Resume uitschakelen

I noticed that in your past translations you used "Schakel ... uit" instead of "... uitschakelen" so I took a chance and used that same syntax on the for the Dutch menu screen snapshot. If my change is not correct, please let me know.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I was unsure where to put "Apple's" so can you post the full translation for that line? It is still in English on the main Dutch page.

I already put it in the quoted version in the previous message Wink.

Code:
Vanaf 1 augustus 2011 zal NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta beschikbaar zijn. Deze versie zal de nieuwe Apple functies voor Versions en Resume toevoegen voor Mac OS X 10.7 Lion gebruikers.

pluby wrote:
I noticed that in your past translations you used "Schakel ... uit" instead of "... uitschakelen" so I took a chance and used that same syntax on the for the Dutch menu screen snapshot. If my change is not correct, please let me know.

Sure. No worries Smile.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I already put it in the quoted version in the previous message Wink.

Thanks for reposting it. I don't know why I failed I failed to see it but I have posted your translation on the main website.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2