NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Wiki defacing

A kind person sent me the following note:

Quote:
It seems that someone has left you a notice of defacing on this web site of NeoOffice screenshots:

http://sixthcrusade.com/neowiki/index.php?page=NeoJScreenshots

Please be kind to investigate the matter.

Fortunately, this defacing was only a warning. Is there some way that we can restrict anonymous changes to the wiki?

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject:

that is kinda the point of a wiki, that anyone can change it.

however, this has been on my mind too. so i will go back to looking for wiki type software that requires a log-in.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject:

I've fixed that page (yet again). It seems to have been a target for random folks to play with since lga linked to it for actual screenshots after MacBidouille wrote about Beta with old screenshots of Neo/C!

It's a shame people can't play nice Sad

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Wiki really defaced this time....

Well, someone really went after the wiki today/yesterday.

The homepage was completely replaced by links to his/her site.
One of the screenshots was removed (again!)
The Mac OS X page was completely replaced by what seems like "comment spam"

Those three seem to be the only ones hit, so I manually restored them.

Luckily they leave their IPs, but....

Sad

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject:

lovely.

i was waiting for the final of 1.4 of mediawiki, but maybe that isn't such a good idea. i will lock the current wiki from change. waldo started filling in the mediawiki site (which requires login), once it is finished, i'll move that live (and leave the old one up for archival purposes)

-j
lga
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject:

Smokey wrote:

I've fixed that page (yet again). It seems to have been a target for random folks to play with since lga linked to it for actual screenshots after MacBidouille wrote about Beta with old screenshots of Neo/C!

I am definitely sorry about that MacBidouille is a serious site, but if it is not a simple coincidence (NeoOffice has been slashdotted a lot lately) I guess that there are sick people everywhere.

I would say that the best solution is certainly to require registration to the wiki in order to edit it. I guess that Joe Random will never update the Wiki anyway and will register if he/she has something of value to contribute.. I use TWiki at work, which is interesting because it also has a RCS-based page versioning system. I am not sure it is the best system for internet exposure, though.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject:

lga wrote:
I would say that the best solution is certainly to require registration to the wiki in order to edit it. I guess that Joe Random will never update the Wiki anyway and will register if he/she has something of value to contribute.. I use TWiki at work, which is interesting because it also has a RCS-based page versioning system. I am not sure it is the best system for internet exposure, though.

I use MediaWiki myself. It can be configured (as I have) to allow only edits by registered users and to only allow administrators to create user accounts. It also allows you to ban access by IP and/or username.

The former really appeals to me. Though it is very easy to make an account normally and it is therefore not that safe, I dislike the idea of requiring someone to make accounts. It is a bottleneck, and usually leads to more problems than it solves.

In any case I hope the losers who feel the need to deface the wiki or slashdot this site will take their bad mood somewhere else. Go run a mile or have a few pints with your mates. Get a life, rather than detracting from other people's honest efforts.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject:

That is really s**tty of people to be doing that, especially given all the hard work people go into making some wonderful content on the wiki. Very sad indeed, but then again, people try to hack trinity on a very regular basis so I guess it isn't surprising Sad

I wonder what kind of sickness people have when they get pleasure out of attacking volunteer projects. I wonder how many people tried to deface the Red Cross site after it was linked everywhere for tsunami donations.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject:

lga wrote:
I am definitely sorry about that MacBidouille is a serious site, but if it is not a simple coincidence (NeoOffice has been slashdotted a lot lately) I guess that there are sick people everywhere.

Malheursement, there are sick people everywhere. I didn't mean to imply that MacBidouille people did any of the defacing (the first defacing of the Screenshots page was actually by someone in suburban Cleveland, OH), but by coincidence it did start happening after you posted to MB. Much better that everyone saw real screenshot than have unreasonable expectations of Neo/C-quality Aqua looks Smile

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
lovely.

i was waiting for the final of 1.4 of mediawiki, but maybe that isn't such a good idea. i will lock the current wiki from change. waldo started filling in the mediawiki site (which requires login), once it is finished, i'll move that live (and leave the old one up for archival purposes)

-j

Sorry to have interrupted you doing real work Sad

In the past couple of weeks since Waldo started moving everything over, I've updated a number of pages (and added the extendedPDF pages, to boot), so a bit more work, unfortunately Sad

Question (Jake/Oscar): can all the "edit" buttons be hidden by default for those who aren't logged in? (I see logged-in users can change that in their prefs) That would really cut down on the tendancy of random folks to even try (and also on the "busy-ness" of the look) Smile

I've also noticed that some bits of our wiki are reproduced (en masse/verbatim) in other places like this wiki, so there's certainly a need to clarify/establish the ownership/copyright/reproduction policies, since we're quote-worthy already Smile

Smokey

P.S. Jake, look out. Oscar is only 10 posts away from becoming the new third Oracle (and I think he got there even faster than I did) Smile

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Question (Jake/Oscar): can all the "edit" buttons be hidden by default for those who aren't logged in? (I see logged-in users can change that in their prefs) That would really cut down on the tendancy of random folks to even try (and also on the "busy-ness" of the look) Smile

Well, I suppose there would be two ways: Hack the PHP to not show this (or find a hidden variable that turns it off) or edit the CSS to make the edit tab the same colour as the background (literally hiding it).

I don't have details to that, but you can always mail the folks who do the development. I found Brion Vibber to be very responsive to questions as well as bug reports.

EDIT: I checked out the documentation but I can't find a keyword. I suppose the thing to do would be to make a slightly modified skin for default (aka not logged in) users.

sardisson wrote:
P.S. Jake, look out. Oscar is only 10 posts away from becoming the new third Oracle (and I think he got there even faster than I did) Smile

Oh no.. I'm not sure I am ready for that responsibility. I like councilmember just fine.

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:

if anyone can help with the skins, that would be great. what i wanted to do was make a logged out skin that looks like the wiki now, and a logged in skin like the media wiki style

you know give the user-name people an ooooh and ahhhh thing.

but after 45 to 50 intesive seconds of reading about the templates, i wasn't sure what to do. 1.4 is supposed to be a tad bit easier, so we'll see.

how about just a bit at the bottom that says

Quote:
all content is copyrighted, ask permission before using

and perhaps we should simply post a link to our wiki in other places where they copy us... it is not our responsiblitly to update 3rd party wikis.

hmm. there was more i think.

does anyone think that we could do a front page like wikipedia? with random tid-bits, news, etc? i have no idea how that is worked...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Status update

I've verified or moved over the new stuff for most of the pages in the wiki (there's a detailed status report in the discussion tab of the main page) before running out of steam/daylight/etc.

Just a bit more there, content-wise. Of course, I went in to attempt to look at the templates like Jake asked. That didn't happen Sad

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject:

oh good, at least i wasn't the only one.

i'll investigate, i promise, but for now it looks good, and should do just fine.

later today (can't at work, no FTP) i'll switch the two wikis. the old one will be online for a bit as an archive.

oh, anyone think about that front page stuff? it may be neat. you know, tip of the week, news about stuff, maybe a 'users who now rule the world due to neooffice' section?

stuff like that.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1