Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice Spreadsheet not saving my changes!
NeoOffice Spreadsheet not saving my changes!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wickerman
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: NeoOffice Spreadsheet not saving my changes!

I just wasted a good 45 minutes making extensive changes to a spreadsheet, hitting Cmd-S frequently (as I always do). When I returned to check the document NONE of the changes in the previous session had been saved!! This is not the first time I've noticed this problem either but I previously assumed the error was mine. Now I know it isn't. This must be a software issue. Can someone please help?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject:

So the question is how can we reproduce this problem? I use NeoOffice to edit spreadsheets frequently and I have not encountered the problem that you describe.

Is there a specific set of spreadsheets that this problem occurs with? If so, can you attach one of those documents?

Also, is there anything that you can think of that might be the "trigger" for this behavior. For example, does this problem only occur after you have had a spreadsheet file open for more than a day? Or does this only occur when a document is saved to a remote volume?

Patrick
Wickerman
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject:

I rewrote said document and noticed that it was only when I re-opened using the link under the Apple menu -> Recent items that reproduced the old version. When I opened the file by navigating to its source directory it displayed the latest saved version. However.... when I did this previously (opened from the source directory) the document had definitely not been saved.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject:

Wickerman wrote:
I rewrote said document and noticed that it was only when I re-opened using the link under the Apple menu -> Recent items that reproduced the old version. When I opened the file from its source directory it was showing the latest version. However.... when I did this previously (opened from the source directory) the document had definitely not been saved.

What you describe makes me think that the File :: Open dialog is actually opening a different file that what the file that the Apple :: Recent Items menu points to.

Can you do the following steps? This will hopefully provide us with the absolute file paths that each is opening:

1. Open the file from the Apple :: Recent Items menu. When the file has opened, select the File :: Properties menu and in the dialog that appears, click on the General tab. Can you tell us what path is displayed in the "Location:" field?

2. Open the file from using the File :: Open dialog (that is, the file that does not have any of the changes that you saved). Using the same steps listed above, can you tell us what path is displayed in the "Location:" field for this file?

Patrick
Wickerman
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject:

There are two links under Recent Items with the same name. One links to the Correct file: /Users/craighardie/Documents/Bands/Nightshade
The other links to the old file: /Users/craighardie/Downloads
What I can't understand is that I tried each of the available links previously and they all linked to the old file! I guess I'll have to revisit this process of double checking if/when it happens again.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject:

Wickerman wrote:
There are two links under Recent Items with the same name. One links to the Correct file: /Users/craighardie/Documents/Bands/Nightshade
What I can't understand is that I tried each of the available links previously and they all linked to the old file! I guess I'll have to revisit this process of double checking if/when it happens again.

So, just to confirm, the first file has all of your changes?

If so, that is good news. It sounds like at some point you may have copied the file from your ~/Downloads the Finder or used NeoOffice's File :: Save As menu to save a new copy in your ~/Documents/Bands/Nightshade folder. Unfortunately, Apple's Recent Items menu makes two files with the same name but in different folders identical. But, if you drag the old file to the Trash and empty the Trash, that should cause NeoOffice to display an error if you accidently select the Recent Items menu item that points to the old file.

Patrick
Wickerman
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Wickerman wrote:

So, just to confirm, the first file has all of your changes?

If so, that is good news. It sounds like at some point you may have copied the file from your ~/Downloads the Finder or used NeoOffice's File :: Save As menu to save a new copy in your ~/Documents/Bands/Nightshade folder. Unfortunately, Apple's Recent Items menu makes two files with the same name but in different folders identical. But, if you drag the old file to the Trash and empty the Trash, that should cause NeoOffice to display an error if you accidently select the Recent Items menu item that points to the old file.

Patrick

Ah. I see. I'll have to watch that in future.

Thanks.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1