NeoOffice :: View topic - Crash on opening docx
Crash on opening docx

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Crash on opening docx

Hi,

I'm trying to open a .docx file and it consistently crashes NeoOffice. The file opens correctly in Pages, so I have no reason to assume it is corrupt. This is from system.log:

Sep 16 12:15:14 giskard com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[182] ([0x0-0x29c29c].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[14103]): Tried to setup shared memory more than once
Sep 16 12:15:32 giskard [0x0-0x29c29c].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[14103]: Invalid memory access of location 0x30 eip=0x23f6b06e
Sep 16 12:15:33 giskard com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[182] ([0x0-0x29c29c].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[14103]): Job appears to have crashed: Bus error: 10

I have attached the crash log.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the crash log. The crash log indicates that the crash is occurring in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. However, I cannot pinpoint exactly which code is causing the crash from the crash log.

Would it be possible for you to attach a sample file that triggers this crash so that I can try to reproduce the crash on our machines? By reproducing it on our machines, I can usually can find and fix the bug that is causing this crash.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject:

I'll send it privately.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject:

benst wrote:
I'll send it privately.

We really do not feel comfortable accepting people's confidential data due to liability issues.

Would you be able to remove all private content in Pages? My initial guess is that simple text context is not likely the cause of the crash and, instead, images or other special objects are what causes the crash.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject:

My version of Pages ('08) can't save docx, only read. And I do not have access to the system that originated the file. I already tried reading and re-saving the file on Word 2003 on a Windows system, but then it doesn't crash anymore. (But lost a lot of formatting too from the looks of it.)

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject:

The bad news is that due to the liability issues of confidential data, I had to delete the private message that you sent me.

The good news is that even though you cannot remove the private data, I do have an alternate approach for finding the code that causes this bug without having to see your confidential document. It is just requires a few more steps on your part.

What I will do is post a "debug" test patch for you to install. Then when you open the .docx file and NeoOffice crashes, it should give me file names and line numbers of the source code where the crash is occurring.

Hopefully a crash log from a debug test patch will give me enough data to implement a fix for the crash.

I will post the test patch in about 15 minutes.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject:

I have posted the "debug" test patch at the following URL. Can you install the test patch, open your .docx file, and after it crashes attach the new crash log? Note that this test patch does not change any NeoOffice code. It should only make the crash log more verbose:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Debug-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject:

After applying the patch, Neooffice no longer crashes... I know that the patch should not have changed that, but it has. I have two different docx files that both crashed, and they both load normally now.

I have also tried the same docx files on another Mac, running NeoOffice 3.2p5, and that one also crashes.

Do you want me to try anything else? I have the developer tools on this system, if that is of any help.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject:

benst wrote:
After applying the patch, Neooffice no longer crashes... I know that the patch should not have changed that, but it has. I have two different docx files that both crashed, and they both load normally now.

Since the crashing stopped when the crashing portion of the code was recompiled in debug mode, that usually indicates that Apple's compiler has an "code optimization" bug. In other words, the compiler's attempts to be smart and speed up parts of the OpenOffice.org code actually results in different logic than what the source code has.

Can you see if the following test patch starts crashing again? In this test patch, I did not compile in debug mode but I left function names in the binaries so the the crash log will still be more verbose than the last crash log:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Debug-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Indeed, it crashes again with this latest patch. Crash report attached.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Your latest crash log really narrowed down the amount of possible code that causes this crash. In the following test patch, I have added checking for invalid values. Strangely, the OpenOffice.org code does not check for invalid values in this particular code but routinely checks the same object for invalid values in nearby code.

Does the crashing still occur in the following test patch?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Debug-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Yes, still crashes. Log attached.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Your latest crash log shows the same exact crash so I have tried a different approach in the following test patch.

Does the crashing still occur in the following test patch?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Debug-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject:

Yes, still crashes.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject:

Since my last test patch had no effect on the crashing, can you install the following test patch and this time, do the following new steps:

1. Before you try opening your .docx file, launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application

2. Open the .docx file and once NeoOffice crashes, copy all of the messages added in the Console application window and post those messages

The test patch can be downloaded from the following URL:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Debug-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3