· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Crash on opening docx
Crash on opening docx

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject:

See attachments. Thank you for all the effort you are putting into this.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject:

best wrote:
Thank you for all the effort you are putting into this.

Thank you for spending the time to help me debug this crashing bug. I definitely undersand that running several test patches to help find the exact code that causes crashing bugs can be very time consuming.

Unforrtunately, the Console log had the following message. This mesage means that the important debugging messages that my test patch logged were never sent to the Console application:

Code:
18-09-11 12:56:36,071 [0x0-0x70070].org.neooffice.NeoOffice: *** process 2615 exceeded 500 log message per second limit  -  remaining messages this second discarded ***

To workaround this Console application problem, can you launch NeoOffice from the Terminal application? To do this, launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, paste the following command into the Terminal window, and press the Return:

Code:
/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin

Once NeoOffice is fully launched, drag your .docx onto the Mac OS X application icon in the Dock and wait for NeoOffice to crash.

All of the messages that I need will be appear in the Terminal window so copy all of the messages added in the Console application window and post those messages.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject:

See attachments.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject:

Your latest message log helped me pinpoint the location of the OpenOffice.org that is causing the crash NS I have added a check for bad values in that code in the following test patch. Does this test patch stop the crashing?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Debug-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject:

No, unfortunately it still crashes. See attached crash log. Terminal.app gave no additional info, just:

[giskard:~]3: /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin
Invalid memory access of location 0x24 eip=0x24044cb9
Bus error

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject:

From your crash log, I think that my fix has merely exposed another crashing bug further along in the code so I have recompiled the code to generate more verbose crash logs like in some of my earlier test patches.

Can you generate a new crash log using the following test patch? There will no Console or Terminal messages in this test patch:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Debug-7-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject:

Attached!

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject:

Here is another test patch. Can you generate a new crash log using the following test patch? Hopefully, crash logs from the last test patch and this test patch will help me pinpoint where the crash has moved to:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Debug-8-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject:

Attached.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Although I don't have a fix yet, I have some good news: OpenOffice.org bug 111652 appears to be the same crashing bug that you are seeing.

That OpenOffice.org bug has 2 sample documents that I can use to reproduce this bug so I should be able to continue debugging and hopefully implement a fix myself.

So, when I have a fix that works on my machine, I will post a test patch. Please be patient as it may take 24 to 48 hours to find the OpenOffice.org fix and merge it back into the older OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code that NeoOffice uses. But when I post the next patch, it should contain a fix for this bug.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Sounds good!

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited by benst on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug in the following test patch. Please be aware that I could not merge the fixes for just that one OpenOffice.org bug so I had to backport the entire LibreOffice 3.3.4.1 .docx import code.

Does the following test patch fix the crashing for you? If so, can you verify that all of your .docx files still open without any problems as well?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

The crashes are gone, so well done! I have tried a few other docx files which did not crash previously, and they are still ok.

There is only one odd thing: these two 'crashing' docx files load fine, but when closing them they act like they are modified and NeoOffice asks if I want to save them. This is not the case with other docx files. If I save them as docx, and then reopen them, NeoOffice crashes again. I have attached the crash report.

On the other hand, if I save them in odt format, they open fine. So for me, this new crash is not important. However, if you want to investigate it I'd be happy to run more test patches.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject:

I will investigate both issues as I suspect that they are a result of merging newer LibreOffice code into NeoOffice's older OpenOffice.org code.

I will post again when I have some news to report.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I found what is causing some documents to be marked as modified: if you have a table of contents in a .docx document, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code will automatically invoke the Tools :: Update :: Update All menu. This, in turn, updates the table of contents which modifies the document.

As for the crash, I cannot reproduce it with the documents in OpenOffice.org bug 111652 so can you install the following test patch, open the .docx file that causes this new crash, and attach the crash log? This test patch does not fix anything but it will make the crash log more verbose so that I can find the code where the crash is occurring:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-0-Test-3-Debug-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3