Can't Select After Locked file is Duplicated

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Note that I have not applied the debug patch to Neo on this computer; my apologies if I didn't state that clearly enough. Given my experience yesterday on my other Mac, I wanted to verify the bug before I applied the debug patch, and that's when I discovered it had disappeared.

Maybe this problem only appears when your machine is under high CPU load or high disk read/write load. If this problem reappears, can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application and click on the "CPU" column to see if any application is using close to 100% of CPU?

Lorinda wrote:
Do you still want me to try the newest test patch?

It would be great if you installed the test patch for testing of the font matching bug fix, but it is not necessary for resolving this problem.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject:

It happened to me again today, without the test patch installed.

So I installed the test patch, as instructed. I was able to reproduce the bug with the test patch.

Here are the lines from Terminal:

Code:

KEYMODCHANGE: 0x22a6a460
KEYMODCHANGE: 0x22a6a460
SALEVENT_MOUSEMOVE: 0x2905cc20 0x2905cc20
KEYMODCHANGE: 0x2905cc20
SALEVENT_KEYINPUT: 0x2905cc20

Note that the machine was not a heavy CPU load at the time; I opened Activity Monitor to check for that when the bug first reappeared.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the output. From your output (I realize that it starts at an arbitrary point), I see the following events being dispatched:

- Released modifier (Shift, Command, Option, and/or Control) keys in original window
- Dragged the mouse in the new window but you saw no highlighting
- Pressed a modifier key in the new window
- Pressed several keys the new window
- Released a modifier key in the new window
- Pressed a modifier key in the new window
- Pressed a key in the new window
- Released a modifier key in the new window

Does this match the sequence of events that you remember doing? If so, the highlighting events are getting processed so my next theory would be that a repainting of the area that has been highlighted by the dragging is not getting triggered.

To test this theory, the next time this problem appears can you immediately resize the new window slightly to force the window to repaint it contents? Does the highlighted area repaint as highlighted?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject:

After my last post, I think I might have found a way to reliably reproduce the problem that you see. I can reproduce by drag in the document immediately after a document window opens but before the ruler lengths have "auto-adjusted" to match the document's paper size.

I see this occur on all Mac OS X versions when opening and highlighting an existing document. Do you think that I am seeing the same problem that you are seeing?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject:

That does seem to be part of the issue.

I tried a recent document, and I do see the select issue, but only very briefly, because the rules "resolve" quickly.

Then I pulled up yet another old document, tried to edit, told it to duplicate, and it took well over a minute for the rulers to "resolve." During that time, I could not select text. Or, more accurately, selected text was not being highlighted.

I discovered that If I dragged (drug?) over some text and then type, the text I had selected disappeared; it's just that it wasn't being highlighted. Similarly, if I pressed Command-A, the text was not highlighted, but typing a character or word resulted in all the original text disappearing.

By the way, I can now be certain that this is happening on both of my computers.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject:

OK. That is good news as now we know what the problem is. So far, I have narrowed down the area of code that is causing this and it is the menu updating code. Specifically, NeoOffice updates the menus immediately after you open a document and if I disable that code, the problem that you see stops occurring.

I have created bug 3669 for this bug and I will continue to investigate the cause of the bug. When I find the cause and have a fix for the bug, I will post a test patch for you to try.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug in the following test patch. I fixed the bug by disabling any menu update operations while the mouse is being dragged.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-1-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject:

It seems to have. I hesitate only because it didn't after I ran the patch installer once. I ran it again, and then it worked fine. I may have accidentally installed an earlier test patch the first time (the two files were next two each other on my desktop). This was on my "home" computer. I have my "work" computer home at the moment. I'll install the patch on that one, too, and get back to you. But it might be tomorrow before I do so.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject:

I haven't had a chance to check this on my "work" computer today. I was about to, only I currently can't reproduce the bug on it, so I'll hold off until a point when I can.

However, I did experience a hang on Neo on my home computer (which does have test patch 3 installed).

I was working remotely, via Back-to-My Mac, trying to quit out of NeoOffice. (I had left it running, with files open that I needed to edit from work). Activity Monitor showed that Neo was using 99% or more CPU (at one point it read 102.5%). Attached is a sample.

By the time it hung, all the files were closed. But the files in question were located on a disk image that is stored in my Dropbox folder. Not sure if that's relevant or not, but I thought I should mention it. [It was relevant to my needing to control Neo remotely, as I needed to open the dmg file from work, and had to first "eject" it on the home computer].

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject:

It appears that you were in the middle of printing a document when you collected the sample. Does that sound correct? If so, did NeoOffice eventually shutdown once your print job went to the printer or appeared in the Preview application?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject:

I wasn't trying to print a document this morning. I did, however, print something from it last night, and that file was still up when I connected via screen share this morning.

Last night I had a little trouble getting it to print--I figured I'd just forgotten to hit "OK" in the print dialog or something; the second time it printed without difficulty, and I didn't think anything more of it.

Since I'm currently 30 miles from the machine and printer in question, I can't check to see if something's up with the printer. For the time being, I'll assume it's just a fluke unless it happens again.

I force-quit Neo right after I took the sample, so I don't know if it would have resolved.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Last night I had a little trouble getting it to print--I figured I'd just forgotten to hit "OK" in the print dialog or something; the second time it printed without difficulty, and I didn't think anything more of it.

I looked through your sample more carefully and here is what was happening when you tried to quit NeoOffice: the print dialog was displayed (or at least trying to be displayed) and that should cancel that quit action. But from your sample, it looks like the quit action has not been cancelled and is blocked waiting for some unknown action.

I will look more closely at the NeoOffice code and see if I can identify why the quit action is not being cancelled when the print dialog is displayed.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:

The only way that I could reproduce the hanging that you saw was when I tweaked the NeoOffice to force display of the print dialog to fail. Once I did that, I was able to add some code that hopefully will not cause NeoOffice to get stuck in an infinite loop if that happens.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the hanging reoccurs in the next few days? If not, I will include the fix in that latest test patch in the next official NeoOffice patch:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-1-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2