· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Some Google Docs files won't open
Some Google Docs files won't open

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Some Google Docs files won't open

While testing the new log-in screen in NeoMobile, I discovered several of the files in my Google Docs account won't open (they return a "File Not Found" error).

The will/won't open situation seems to be random; a file I've opened many times in NeoOffice "suddenly" won't open, nor will a file I just created last week (via Google Docs web) but had never opened in NeoOffice. Several other files that have been around forever open fine, some I've opened before in NeoOffice and some I haven't. My usage of NeoMobile to access these files has been sporadic; it's been a while since I've done so, so I don't know when things might have broken.

I created a test document just now via Google Docs web and it also fails to open. Sad

Neither deleting the ~/Library/Preferences/org.neooffice.NeoOffice.plist file nor ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin folder, which you had recommended to the user in this thread seemed to make any difference.

(Also, it's confusing when you've first opened a document that has failed, and then you open a document that's opening, yet the red "File Not Found" error banner remains until you switch NeoMobile "tabs" or hit the "Refresh" button in the "Save" tab.)

Anything else I can try to get these documents to open in NeoOffice? 10.5.8/Intel.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject:

I am seeing this random behavior as well with my Google Docs account. We have not made any change to the Google Docs code recently. The only change was the fix for this bug that I implemented on the NeoOffice Mobile servers on November 29.

It is possible that there is a problem with Google Docs servers so I will check and see if I can still reproduce this issue tomorrow. If it is still and issue, I can add code on our NeoOffice Mobile servers that retries fetching a document from Google Docs if the first try fails.

Patrick
TimT
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject:

Patrick,
Was it a Document or a Spreadsheet that failed to open?
(They use 2 different APIs/URLs)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject:

TimT wrote:
Patrick,
Was it a Document or a Spreadsheet that failed to open?
(They use 2 different APIs/URLs)

I found that that all spreadsheet requests are failing with a "404" error so I suspect that something has changed in the spreadsheet API even though Google's API documentation has not changed since the last time I looked at it.

I am able to upload spreadsheets without error, only the download call is failing. I will post again when I have more news to report.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject:

I think I have fixed this issue. The problem was that our NeoOffice Mobile server code was using an obsolete URL for fetching spreadsheets from Google Docs.

I have corrected the URL. Are you now able to download spreadsheets from your Google Docs account in NeoOffice Mobile?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I went to test this evening, and both NeoOffice Mobile and the neomobile.neooffice.org website are throwing database errors (attached) Sad

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Smokey,

Thanks for catching this. I have found the cause and all should be working OK now.

We saw some routine jobs that sync our 3 servers fail start failing around the same time and the problem that you saw as well the routine job failures was due to our production servers using the incorrect version of one of our PHP source files. Apparently, when updating the production servers I updated a newer version of the database configuration file and that caused the NeoOffice Mobile webserver code to fail to connect to any of the underlying production MySQL databases.

Once I rechecked out all of our PHP source files on each server using the production source code tag, that forced the one incorrect PHP source file to be updated to the right version on our servers and all should be working correctly now.

Are you still seeing any problems with NeoOffice Mobile after I rechecked out the PHP source files on our production servers?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

I'm able to log-in/access NeoOffice Mobile and the neomobile website now without problems Smile

Even better, I'm able to open the spreadsheets I tried to open last night from Google Docs, so that fix was also successful.

Thanks again!
Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject:

While investigating the Google Docs spreadsheet problem, I noticed that we never enable uploading or downloading presentations from Google Docs in NeoOffice Mobile.

Originally, the reason for this was that Google Docs cannot handle the .odp file format. However, they can handle the .ppt file format and since we added exporting of Microsoft Office when uploading to our servers, I was able to enable uploading presentations in the .ppt file format to Google Docs.

This new presentation file support in Google Docs is in the following test patch. If any NeoOffice Mobile users can install the test patch, please let us know if you see any unexpected changes in behavior when running NeoOffice Mobile in NeoOffice:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-2-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: can't upload any file

pluby wrote:
This new presentation file support in Google Docs is in the following test patch. If any NeoOffice Mobile users can install the test patch, please let us know if you see any unexpected changes in behavior when running NeoOffice Mobile in NeoOffice:

When I try to upload ("save") a presentation to Google Docs, NeoOffice Mobile just shows a blank white window.

In fact, on further testing, I get this when trying to upload ("save") any document to either NeoMobile proper or to Google Docs Sad

(I was, however, able to upload the old NeoOffice/J "sample.ppt" file to Google Docs via their web interface and download it via NeoOffice Mobile, so the presentation download code works just fine.)

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject:

I found one of my changes had an error when in production that did not show up in the test environment. I have fixed that error and now all file uploads should work again.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Uploading now works fine at both Google Docs and to the neomobile website, including the new presentation upload feature at Google Docs Smile Thanks, Patrick!

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1