Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Shorten/reduce 15-step Upgrade/Install workflow
Shorten/reduce 15-step Upgrade/Install workflow

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree or disagree that this would be a good improvement?
strongly agree
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
agree
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
don't care
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
disagree
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
strongly disagree
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
I think if the download is successful, the download window should disappear before the install dialog appears; the web view no longer serves any purpose and I find that stacked UI elements are distracting to less savvy users.

Good idea. I will implement closing of the window before the dialog appears. Note, however, that if you have other downloads in progress (probably not a common case) the window will remain open.

djpimley wrote:
Incidentally, is that X button ever active? I haven't noticed any moment in the recent tests when it was not ghosted.

Works as expected for me. I suspect that you are not actually downloading any new files and you already have a fully downloaded copy of the patch file in your Downloads folder.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If you have a better Dutch localization, please post it and I can replace the OpenOffice.org localization.

Sorry, I don't have anything set up for the localisation. I wouldn't know where to look in the source.

pluby wrote:
There are some localizations that do not use the OpenOffice.org localization code. If you can translate the quoted English phrases in the following list (the first half of the list was already translated by you for NeoOffice Mobile), I can put them in the next test patch:

Code:
UPDATEDOWNLOADCANCELED, "Ophalen geannuleerd",
UPDATEDOWNLOADFAILED, "Ophalen mislukt",
UPDATEDOWNLOADINGFILE, "Bestand ophalen",
UPDATEERROR, "Fout:",
UPDATELOADING, "Laden…",
UPDATEMEGABYTE, "MB",
UPDATEOPENFILEFAILED, "Cannot open %@",
UPDATEOPENINGFILE, "Opening %@…",
UPDATEREDOWNLOADFILE, "Do you want to redownload the file?"

Code:
UPDATEOPENFILEFAILED, "Kan %@ niet openen",
UPDATEOPENINGFILE, "%@ openen…",
UPDATEREDOWNLOADFILE, "Wilt u het bestand opnieuw ophalen?"

pluby wrote:
Code:
Do you want to install the updates that you downloaded?

Can anyone suggest better text or translate the above text?

How about:
Code:
Do you want to install the updates that you downloaded now?

Code:
Wilt u de updates die u heeft opgehaald nu installeren?

pluby wrote:
If the user has both unmounted the volume, dragged the .dmg to the Trash, and emptied the Trash, I would assume that they really don't want to install it right now.

True Wink.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have uploaded a new test patch that Oscar's proposal of asking the user when quitting NeoOffice if they want to install any updates that they downloaded but chose to install later. I have also included Oscar's Dutch translations and incorporated everyone's feedback so far since the last test patch.

I think we are very close to being finished with the implementation of this new feature request so please let us know if you think something is unfinished.

Like the last test patch, to test out my latest changes you will need to do the following steps:

1. Download and install the following test patch:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-3-Test-7-Intel.dmg

2. Download the following "versionrc" file to your Desktop by pasting the following command in a Terminal window and pressing the Return key. This file will be used to fool NeoOffice to act as if you have not installed the latest official patch:

Code:
cd ~/Desktop ; curl -O http://sally.neooffice.org/test/versionrc

3. In the Finder, right-click or Control-click on the NeoOffice application and in the popup menu that appears, select the "Show Package Contents". Then, navigation into NeoOffice's "Contents/MacOS" subfolder. Drag the "versionrc" file that you downloaded into step 2 into this subfolder. You will be prompted to replace the file and then to authenticate that you are a Mac OS X administrator.

4. If step 3 succeeds, select NeoOffice's Help :: Check for Updates menu. the dialog that appears should say that NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 3 is available. Press the Download button and you should see the patch download page running in a floating window similar to the NeoOffice Mobile floating window and the patch should be automatically downloaded to your Downloads folder.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I've been super-busy, so I haven't had time to test the patches, but…

ovvldc wrote:
pluby wrote:
Code:
Do you want to install the updates that you downloaded?

Can anyone suggest better text or translate the above text?

How about:
Code:

I think Oscar's suggestion sounds worse/more awkward than the original, because you're pairing "now" immediately adjacent to a simple past.

To get "now" in there, how about using a phrase rather than a complete sentence? Something like
Code:
Install downloaded updates now?

to separate the past (now in participle form) and the "now".

I hope I'll have time this weekend to try the latest patch and explore the new UI.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
How about:
Code:

I think Oscar's suggestion sounds worse/more awkward than the original, because you're pairing "now" immediately adjacent to a simple past.

Sounds fine to me. If Oscar likes it and can provide a new Dutch translation, I will update the localization file.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Agreed. However I don't see what was wrong with Patrick's original. Why the need to shoehorn in the word "now" at all? If the user is presented with a yes/no alternative to the question "Do you want to install the updates that you downloaded?" it's obvious that choosing yes will cause something to happen now. When else is it going to happen?

Just my tuppence. Smile
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Fair enough. To get back to Patrick's translation, just remove "nu" from the Dutch sentence.

I did get around to testing the patch and it performed exactly as advertised. I say: ship it.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I have removed "now" from the English wording and "nu" from the Dutch translation.

I will stage release of NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 4 to occur in the next 48 hours. If any of you find any bugs during that time, let me know and I can delay the patch release and fix any bugs that you found.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I will stage release of NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 4 to occur in the next 48 hours. If any of you find any bugs during that time, let me know and I can delay the patch release and fix any bugs that you found.

Standard Mac UI convention is to have both part of the button label initial caps (so "Install Later" and "Install Now" instead of the current "Install later" and "Install now").

Also, "Yes"/"No" are really horrible button names Wink for the on-quit dialogue. I'd suggest "Install Updates" for "Yes" and "Don’t Install" for "No".

Finally, I can't remember at what point you said you'd change the text in the OOo check-for-updates window from "Click 'Download...' to download NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 3 manually from the web site." to something that better fits what the button now does.

At any rate, these are all text changes; the functionality seems to work well Smile

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Standard Mac UI convention is to have both part of the button label initial caps (so "Install Later" and "Install Now" instead of the current "Install later" and "Install now").

Also, "Yes"/"No" are really horrible button names Wink for the on-quit dialogue. I'd suggest "Install Updates" for "Yes" and "Don’t Install" for "No".

These labels are loaded directly from the OpenOffice.org localization resource files so any change to them will also remove use of any matching OpenOffice.org translations. In other words, it is an all or nothing choice for each label: use an existing OpenOffice.org localization or use our own custom label text but in English and Dutch only.

In the best of times, we sometimes can get German, Spanish, or French translations for custom label text. But those 3 languages usually lag far behind any English or Dutch changes that we make.

sardisson wrote:
Finally, I can't remember at what point you said you'd change the text in the OOo check-for-updates window from "Click 'Download...' to download NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 3 manually from the web site." to something that better fits what the button now does.

This is also an existing OpenOffice.org localization so I chose keeping the slightly poor wording since it has been translated into many languages in the existing language packs.

Patrick
mweil
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I tested the newest patch and it works fine with me too.

I noticed a few untranslated status messages while downloading. Can they be translated?

Code:
Loading…
Laden…

Opening "Filename"…
"Filename" wird geöffnet…

Regarding the Install prompt: I would remove the "that you downloaded" because it is not important who downloaded the updates, and therefore it can be left out. And it solves the "now" placing problem, too.

In my opinion the "now" is not strictly necessary, but it does sound better. Especially in German.

Code:
Do you want to install the updates now?
Möchten Sie die heruntergeladenen Updates jetzt installieren?

Thanks
Martin
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject:

mweil wrote:
Code:
Do you want to install the updates now?
Möchten Sie die heruntergeladenen Updates jetzt installieren?

Good point. I suppose whether "downloaded" is needed depends on how likely people are to forget they have already downloaded but not installed the updates. It works for me - this English text is just as simple and effective as Patrick's original. Will this be the most critiqued dialog message in NeoOffice history? Very Happy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, I was not able to include Martin's translations in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 4 that I released today. However, I have added the German translations to the update check code so that Martin's translations will be included in the next NeoOffice patch.

Martin, there are 2 English error messages in the new update window. Can you translate the following to German?:

Code:
Cannot open "filename"
Do you want to redownload the file?

I have not changed the English or Dutch localizations that to "Do you want to install the updates now?" but I can change it if no one else thinks it is too short.

Patrick
mweil
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject:

Ah, I was a bit too late then. Nevermind.

Code:
Cannot open "filename"
"filename" kann nicht geöffnet werden

Do you want to redownload the file?
Möchten Sie die Datei erneut herunterladen?

Martin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have added your German translations in the NeoOffice code so that they will be included in the next NeoOffice patch.

mweil wrote:
Ah, I was a bit too late then. Nevermind.

You were too late only for NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 4. But the NeoOffice code is always changing so you can still propose changes. I can then post test patches that everyone can test and if the changes are OK, we will include the changes in the next official NeoOffice patch.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5