· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc: Paste Special
Calc: Paste Special

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Calc: Paste Special

This is a very trivial point. When the source is a group of cells, the default dialog for Paste Special is "Paste all", but if you deselect this then six of the seven more specific options are automatically selected. Am I alone in using Paste Special most often just for one option - to copy formats or to transfer dates, for example? This means I have to deselect all the options I don't want. I would certainly find it quicker if the default had nothing pre-selected, or at least if deselecting "Paste all" left the remaining options deselected.

Richard
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:

I understand your annoyance with having all of the options selected by default, but I think most of the feature that you want already exists in NeoOffice 3.1.1.

In Neooffie 3.1.1, after you uncheck the unwanted options and paste, Paste All will remain unchecked and the same options will remain unselected the next time that you use the Edit :: Paste Special menu.

Are you not seeing this behavior on your machine?

Patrick
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick

Yes, that is what happens. I just wondered if it would be possible to miss out that first cycle of deselection - which is why I started off by confessing that it was a very trivial issue.

Richard
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject:

rayjay wrote:
Yes, that is what happens. I just wondered if it would be possible to miss out that first cycle of deselection - which is why I started off by confessing that it was a very trivial issue.

OK. So your feature request is that we change the default checkbox settings to the following:

1. Paste All is checked by default

2. When Paste All is first unchecked, all of the checkboxes just below it are unchecked instead of checked

I think that this feature request is feasible and does not require more than a day or two of work to implement so if a total of 5 NeoOffice donors including yourself post that they would like to see this change implemented, I will implement it and include it in the next official NeoOffice patch.

Patrick
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks again, Patrick. If I was being really picky I would prefer the default checkbox to leave all options unchecked, so that I can go as quickly as possible to the option(s) I need. If I want to "Paste all" don't I get that just by using "Paste" instead of "Paste Special" - or am I missing something?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject:

While unchecking all options may appeal to you, I am firmly against such a change. The reason is that when you select the Edit :: Paste Special menu, the intent is to paste something and so the default should paste something reasonable.

Unchecking all means that the default does nothing which I believe will result in support requests and driving up our support costs to save one click per launch of NeoOffice just is not a wise use our limited resources.

Patrick
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject:

Point taken.

Richard
Stefan
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Dear Patrick,

I would like to come back to Richard's point. I understand that having nothing selected does not make sense. But like Richard, everytime when I restart Neooffice and use this paste special (and I'm only using this, I have even remapped my keyboard shortcuts!), I need to firstly unclick and click a lot of squares (usually 5 of them!). So I have another suggestion: would it be possible that neooffice stores the current selection (in a user-specific preference file?!?) so that when I restart neooffice the next time, I get the same preselection as it was the last time I used it?

Stefan
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject:

Yes, that would be a good option.

Richard
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject:

I have added custom preferences to NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code in the past so I am pretty confident that it is feasible for us to implement Stefan's proposed approach of saving the selections in that particular Calc "paste special" dialog in NeoOffice's user preference files.

Since this new feature request is feasible, the only other thing that we need to see is whether enough other donors also want this feature. Essentially, we fund new features by spending current donations to implement the new feature and then, hopefully, the new feature generates new donations that replenishes the donations used to implement the new feature.

I have a pretty good idea of the amount of engineering work needed to implement this new feature. rayjay and Stefan have already voted for this new approach so if at least 10 other NeoOffice donors reply to this post that they also want this new feature, then we will have a pretty good level of confidence that the new feature will generate the necessary donations and I will then start working on the new feature.

Is this a feature that any other NeoOffice donors want to see added to NeoOffice? If so, please let us know.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I would be in favor of remembering the state of the checkboxes in Calc's "Paste Special" window.

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject:

+1
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Not a high priority item for me, but convenient to have.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject:

I noticed that this new feature request got 5 of the 10 votes needed very quickly but then no more votes have come in since then so I am posting to "bump" this new feature request to see if gets any more votes.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I've been bitten by this annoyance, so it gets my vote too.

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2