· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - GUI Icon Redesign
GUI Icon Redesign

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Re:GUI Icon Redesign

salty wrote:
Actually I was also thinking I'd like to apply to help with the GUI redesign.

And I regularly design my own icons.

At the risk of hijacking this thread slightly, and not being specifically NeoOffice/J related, if someone would like to design a better application icon for "Start OpenOffice.org", I would be eternally grateful, and would credit the person in documentation etc. I am not an artist, as you can plainly see (although I do provide an alternate set of icons created by someone who knows what they are doing). NeoOffice/J will probably eventually make OpenOffice/X11 and "Start OpenOffice.org" obsolete, but until then...

If you are interested in helping, please contact me offline (you will find my EMail address in the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation etc).

Regards, Terry
[ author of "Start OpenOffice.org" ]
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Icon Dev Update

RedOrchard wrote:
Just a note to let you know that the first rough prototype is coming along nicely, and is on schedule to be reviewed on Thrs 27th.

I can't believe no one's said anything yet (or maybe we're all tired now Smile), but that's exciting news! Can't wait....

salty wrote:
Actually I was also thinking I'd like to apply to help with the GUI redesign.

Welcome! Being a small open-source project (people, not app size!) there's not a lot of formal "management" going on...people just sort of volunteer and do (foxcorner said "hey, we need a new splash screen and I have an idea," jakeOSX said "hey, we need a wiki," I said, "hey, we need to organize our "release announcements," and so forth), getting Patrick's and Ed's approval where needed and otherwise heeding or ignoring the shouting of the opinionated forum members Very Happy I don't know if berchca also has already talked with RedOrchard about helping or what, but that's probably the place to start....

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Icon Dev Update

RedOrchard wrote:
Just a note to let you know that the first rough prototype is coming along nicely, and is on schedule to be reviewed on Thrs 27th.

Fantastic. NeoOffice will look so much better with new icons. Thank you very much!

By the way, would it be possible to make the background of the interface lighter? An application with a dark gray background looks out of place on Mac OS X.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Icon Dev Update

Anonymous wrote:
By the way, would it be possible to make the background of the interface lighter? An application with a dark gray background looks out of place on Mac OS X.

http://sixthcrusade.com/neowiki/index.php?page=NeoJAppearance will help you change some colors now. The others are hard-coded in the source code somewhere, but Ed and Dan got rid of them in Neo/C, so hopefully they'll go out with the old icons in Neo/J, too--and soon! Smile

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject:

I've tried the font replacement tip on this Wiki site, but I don't have a font "Andale Sans UI". The onliest Andale font I have, is "Andale Mono".

What would be the right replacement set for me?

Thomas
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Arial

"Andale Sans UI" is the default font for OOo.
Patrick modified the code for NeoJ in order to use "Arial". That's the one you should select as the replaced font.

Notes:
• Even in other OOo variant the "Andale Sans UI" does not show in the pop-up unless it in present on the system. You must type the name in.
• In NeoJ, not every font works as UI.
• Some of the UI part bust be redisplayed for the font to update, e.g. the stylist.
• The Wiki should be updated, I can't do it because the register/login system is not up yet, or did I miss something?

Edit: Updated the Wiki.
Max

Last edited by Max_Barel on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject:

Thank you, Max!

Thomas
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Icon Dev Update

sardisson wrote:
I don't know if berchca also has already talked with RedOrchard about helping or what, but that's probably the place to start....

AFAIK, everything is waiting on RedOrchard's initial design. From an earlier discussion with him, I get the impression I'm going to draw a lot of the interfacing-with-CVS duties. So I've been setting up the Dev Tools on my machine, as well as reading up on Mac GUI design and stuff.

I'll probably download the build tomorrow night and try to figure out what sort of system would be best to buffer the artists from the technology (and visa-versa.) early next week.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Dealing with the repository.

So, on a similar topic, I was wondering if anyone want to volunteer to help me get up to speed and maybe run a few 'easy' errands. Things along the line of:

I'm guessing a fair amount of icons are not in the NO/J build but are taken from the OOo build. Is this true? (I found 16 icons in the NO/J checkout, but it looked like there were more like 2,000 in the Gnome OOo icon package I found elsewhere.) And if so, it it an easy task for someone to shift them to the NO/J repository? I already know it would be a Vasco da Gama for me. (Which isn't to say I won't do it, I just don't know if it's trivial for someone else.)

Well, I guess that's just one thing. But there's sure to be plenty more little things like that. And by "like that" I mean stuff that I'm probably too embarassed to ask in public.
RedOrchard
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I’d appreciate all the help I can get with the GUI. Right now I’m working on getting a rough draft for us to look at and then move on from there. Since it looks like there is going to be 3 artists working on various GUI elements it’s going to be important to keep a consistent look and if the need arises, come up with an unbiased way of deciding which icon fits best. Artists tend to be pretty attached to their work.

For clarification of what I mean by “first rough prototype” is a single picture of what I want to see OO 2.x writer look like. I’m looking at the GUI of other apps and getting ideas, as well as snagging icons for the GUI. I’m taking most of my cues from Apple’s iApps. So most of the icons won’t be original but indicate the general direction of where I want the icons to go. I’ll have to redo the look so it’s not an exact copy. You can take a sigh of relief because there won’t be any brushed metal. =)

I want to know what others think about the choice of icons/GUI, if they have better ideas, etc. So what you’ll see on the 27th is a different GUI for OO with some original, but mostly copied icons. So there won’t be any icons to quickly plug into OO right now. Once I’m satisfied with the look and feel of the prototype icons I’ll start to fit it into the current 1.1 OO GUI. Since OO uses such small 24x24 icons there is going to be a definite difference in icon look. I don’t think os x uses anything smaller that 48x48 in it’s toolbars (though I could be mistaken).
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Arial

Max_Barel wrote:
• The Wiki should be updated, I can't do it because the register/login system is not up yet, or did I miss something?

Oui, the wiki is locked down because there were some pretty serious defacements this week. Ever since Beta came out there has been some minor playing around by random people, so some of us had been talking with Jake about methods of protecting it. But this was really a call to arms, so Jake locked it down. Waldo and I have been transferring the content to a new, edit-protectable wiki and Jake has been trying to get the style templates set up to more-or-less fit. Hopefully the new one will be up shortly. More details down in "Random Whatnot."

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealing with the repository.

berchca wrote:
I'm guessing a fair amount of icons are not in the NO/J build but are taken from the OOo build. Is this true? (I found 16 icons in the NO/J checkout, but it looked like there were more like 2,000 in the Gnome OOo icon package I found elsewhere.)

All the internal/GUI icons are in the OOo source, yes. The 16 are the Finder icons for the app and the documents.

berchca wrote:
And if so, it it an easy task for someone to shift them to the NO/J repository? I already know it would be a Vasco da Gama for me. (Which isn't to say I won't do it, I just don't know if it's trivial for someone else.)

This has been the other stumbling block where people tend to run away. A couple of us have searched the OOo website to try and find any reference that would tell us where the existing .bmps live in the OOo source (so we could find/generate a list and count of them), without success Sad Ed and Dan replaced the icons with the Ximian set for Neo/C (and Ed again for Brand X), so if anyone we know knows, it might be them.

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject:

RedOrchard wrote:
Since OO uses such small 24x24 icons there is going to be a definite difference in icon look. I don’t think os x uses anything smaller that 48x48 in it’s toolbars (though I could be mistaken).

Some apps (like browsers, Preview) offer both large and small size icons (I personally choose the small size), and these smaller sizes are 24x24. (AHIG call for toolbar icons to be 32x32, so there shouldn't be any 48x48 icons at all.) So 24x24 shouldn't be a problem fitting in with the OS or what people expect Smile

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Tools for the job

So with a little poking around, I found a script on KDE-Works.org that will create image-strips for icons (which appears to be the way that toolbar icons are setup.) This will at least be a development tool. I'm not sure how this is going to interface with CVS, that will come later.

I'm converting it to OS X, so far so good. It's probably going to require some extra packages for anyone who wants to use it, I can easily walk anyone through it.

So, RedOrchard and Salty, is this something that would be useful?
It would take me about a week to get everything right about it, but when it was done, you could just type one command and it would update your NeoOffice with whatever changes you had made (restart of Neo unfortunately required.)

Oh, and are you guys running Panther?

p.s. re-reading my old post, when I said, "everything is waiting on RedOrchard's initial design" I didn't mean to sound snotty or impatient and I hope it wasn't taken that way. Sorry if it was.
RedOrchard
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools for the job

berchca wrote:
So, RedOrchard and Salty, is this something that would be useful?

I'm running 10.3.2 on an 800mhz iBook; and yes it does sound very useful.

I'm waiting for 10.3.8 to come out before I upgrade I'm still using a modem and 10.3.2 is working fairly well for me. The last time I upgraded DVD player stopped working.

I didn't take your comment in a negative way.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15