Removing Java from windows, menus, and printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject:

Smokey,

Before you move the ChimericalConsole system hack and reboot, can you try the following test patch?

It may not help, but in the following test patch I no longer create an temporary CGLayer objects from an existing CGLayer's graphics context. In other words, I removed chaining of these Mac OS X drawing objects and now all temporary CGLayer objects are created from their own unique bitmap.

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-Test-5-Intel.dmg

If you see no change with the above test patch, can you move the ChimericalConsole system hack folder, reboot, and see if you still see either the drawing errors or the crashing? If there are still problems after that, then check for any "soffice.bin" Console messages.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject:

Patrick,

After a quick test, Patch-4-Test-5-Intel seems to have fixed the problem, without having to remove ChimericalConsole or do anything else.

I won't have much time in the next few days to keep testing, but in the amount of scrolling and selecting I've done already, I would formerly have seen the artifacts.

(FWIW, ChimericalConsole checks to see if it's being loaded into Camino, and if not, does nothing in every other app. Unless the act of being loaded and checking to see the "host" app can affect drawing code, it seems unlikely that it would have been the trigger. Stranger things have happened, of course, but so far it seems not to have been Wink )

Thanks for the patch!

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
After a quick test, Patch-4-Test-5-Intel seems to have fixed the problem, without having to remove ChimericalConsole or do anything else.

That is good to hear that the test patch worked. Fortunately, the fix was a simple one and it should not affect performance. I think the bug shows that using Mac OS X's CGLayer functions do have some fussiness that is tied to your machine's graphics card so the test patch's approach of creating a CGLayer from a small bitmap seems to be the safest approach.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject:

I am noticing that the icons in the toolbar at the top of my window have a horizontal line at the top when they are active or highlighted by mouseover. It isn't there when the icon is just in the toolbar.

Is this caused by the new drawing code?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I am noticing that the icons in the toolbar at the top of my window have a horizontal line at the top when they are active or highlighted by mouseover. It isn't there when the icon is just in the toolbar.

I am not seeing what you describe on my Mac OS X 10.5 machine so can you post a small screen snapshot. Also, what version of Mac OS X are you running?

Edit by pluby: To take a screen snapshot, select the Command-Shift-4 keys on your Mac and drag your mouse to highlight the area on the screen where the error is displayed. After you highlight an area and release your mouse, a new image file will appear on your machine's desktop that you can attach to your post.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject:

I also installed on Mac OS X 10.7.3 the latest test patch that I posted yesterday that fixes the saving EPS images to .doc file bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code and I do not see any drawing artifacts after mousing over toolbars in Writer.

Is it possible that you are using an older test patch? If so, can you install the latest test patch that I posted in the above post from the following URL and see if the problem is still there? If so, then attach a screen snapshot and your Mac OS X version:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I didn't install the new patch yet, but here is a screenshot of what I saw.

Note the navigator and the left justification buttons, as well as the button to the right of the navigator.

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Attached is a screen snapshot of how NeoOffice 3.2.1 (i.e. the full old Java code) looks on my 10.5.8 machine. The navigator and left justification buttons (as well the unselected but mouse over the crayon button) look the same as your screen snapshot to me. Am I missing some detail?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Nope, entirely the same. I just saw it and wondered if it was new or old.

So, no worries then Smile.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Nope, entirely the same. I just saw it and wondered if it was new or old.

Note: in the latest test patch I put a fix in for some cases where unhighlighting text in Writer would leave a faint line. If you see any cases like that, please post them as we ran into many of such cases when we first implement drawing using Java.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject:

I have finished the next major phase of our NeoOffice "de-Javafication"
work. So now, in addition to fully native printing and offscreen image drawing that was in previous test patches, the latest test patch in the link at the end of this post now runs fully native code without using Java:

Native window drawing

Although we still use Java to create and show Mac OS X windows, we now have fully bypassed Java and draw directly to the native window that Java creates using Apple's Cocoa and Core Graphics functions.

No Java fonts

We have used native fonts for several years to layout text. However, because we used Java, we had to offload drawing text to Java. Now that we can draw directly to the native window that Java creates, we can bypass Java and draw our existing native text layout output directly to the native window.

If anyone can install the test patch. If our new non-Java code is working correctly you should see zero changes in NeoOffice's behavior. So, if anyone sees anything drawn differently in a document or dialog window, please let us know and we will investigate. Also, CPU usage not have changed in the new code so if you see very high CPU usage, definitely let us know:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-Test-7-Intel.dmg

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Patch installed and all is looking good in Writer so far. Redrawing performance feels better, is that just my imagination? Confused
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Patch installed and all is looking good in Writer so far. Redrawing performance feels better, is that just my imagination? Confused

Possibly drawing is faster. With the native drawing we use Mac OS X CGLayer objects to draw to. When you draw to a CGLayer object, nothing gets drawn. Instead, the CGLayer just stores the drawing operations that you drew.

This potentially gives improced performance because when using Writer (and probably in parts of Calc and Impress), all document drawing is actually done in 2 steps:

1. Draw text and shapes to an offscreen image

2. Copy portion of offscreen image to document window

Before with Java (and still in OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice), offscreen images are real bitmaps in memory and drawing in step 1 in cause real drawing to the bitmap. Then step 2 involves copying the individual pixels from the offscreen bitmap and drawing a bitmap to the document window.

With our CGLayer native code, step 1 really just saves drawing operations like "draw text at point x and y" so in step 2, copying the offscreen image CGLayer really just replays the saved drawing operations to the document window. In other words, if we are drawing only shapes and text, the Apple's CGLayers are really good at avoiding doing any real drawing until needed.

Note that the above is my interpretation of what Apple's CGLayer documentation says so how I assume that how the details of how they work is quite complicated but so far it seems to me that CGLayers are a really good replacement for drawing to large bitmaps in memory.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject:

A donor found a bug in the last test patch. The bug caused lines that are less than 1 pixel wide to not be drawn in some cases. The bug was caused by replicating our approach for handling drawing shapes with a width or height of less than 1 pixel width in Java. The approach we used for Java apparently does not work in native drawing so the following test patch uses a new approach to ensure that this thin lines get drawn correctly.

So, if you installed my last test patch, please install the following one to get our latest code:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-Test-9-Intel.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject:

I haven't had time to test path 9, but I may have found something with the earlier patches:

Often the vertical anti-aliasing seems somewhat off, leading to a fussy grey base for text. This is particularly true for serif fonts.

I am attaching a screenshot. For me it seems most prevalent in the first line. The effect is quite subtle on this shot, but very noticeable overall

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12