Removing Java from windows, menus, and printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I think that I have fixed the following bugs reported in sardisson's and amayze's last posts:

1. All key entry in the save/discard dialog is ignored

This is definitely fixed Smile Thanks!

pluby wrote:
2. Installing test patch's that use Apple's new "flat package" format prevent reinstallation of current official patch

I had some issues with this, although I think they're all related to having previously installed the older "flat package" format test patches and thus wouldn't manifest to normal users who never installed an intermediate test patch. I include them here only in case others see them:

The first time I tried to re-install the official Patch-5, I still had to do the pkgutil dance. I suspect this will only affect testers who have installed Patch-5-Test-5 or Patch-5-Test-6 before Patch-5-Test-7 (since those would have installed with the wrong upgradeable setting).

I also had an issue then re-installing Patch-5-Test-7 immediately after installing the official Patch-5 (after running the pkgutil command), where NeoOffice wasn't launched after the patch was installed, and when launched manually came up without the usual menus. Quitting and relaunching made all the normal menus appear.

Then reinstalling official Patch-5 went all the way through the motions, but claimed there were no files to install! So I reinstalled Patch-5-Test-7 (and it did launch NeoOffice after finishing), then reinstalled official Patch-5.

At this point, I was then able to reinstall Patch-5-Test-7 followed by official Patch-5 and perform that cycle three or more times, with everything happening as expected. So I think all of the strangeness I saw initially was related to having one of the "non-upgradeable" test patches installed first and having to "undo" that.

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 5 Test 7 and both the problems I reported are fixed.

pluby wrote:

3. Crashing when pressing the "Finished" button in the Base wizards

4. Gradients in Base's report builder are black

Thanks,

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject:

Just found another couple of little bumfles.

First: When using Cmd-P to print, if you don't print but instead click cancel or press escape, when the menus are redrawn the File menu remains highlighted.

This doesn't always happen, but I think the following should make it:

Open a new writer document.
Type some text.
Select some of it.
Use Cmd-C to copy then Cmd-V to paste a couple of times.
Use Cmd-P to print
Press Escape or Click Cancel.

It doesn't always work the first time, but repeated attempts cause it to happen.

Second: After opening a document that has been locked in OS X 10.7 due to not being edited recently, the selection highlight is not drawn after it is duplicated.

Open a not recently edited writer document
Type some text
Click 'Duplicate' when asked what to do
Click and drag to select text in the new Untitled duplicate document.
No highlight is drawn, thought the text is selected.

Thanks again for the speedy fixes, Patrick.

Yours,

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
At this point, I was then able to reinstall Patch-5-Test-7 followed by official Patch-5 and perform that cycle three or more times, with everything happening as expected. So I think all of the strangeness I saw initially was related to having one of the "non-upgradeable" test patches installed first and having to "undo" that.

I never found any "upgradeable" option in the new flat package XML file specifications so what if you installed any of the last few test patches before Test-7, you will need to execute the following command that you found to clean out the remains of those few test patches:

Code:
sudo pkgutil --forget org.neooffice.NeoOffice_patch.pkg

Since there is no "upgradeable" option and the new and old installer package formats cause different, conflicting behavior from the Mac OS X installer tool, I fixed the problem that you originally found by using "org.neooffice.flat.NeoOffice" for the beginning of the identifier string in main, langpack, and patch installers instead of the old "org.neooffice.NeoOffice" string. That should ensure that Mac OS X will treat the old and new installers as completely different products and hopefully should eliminate the problems that we saw when reinstalling an old installer after installing one of the new installers.

amayze wrote:
First: When using Cmd-P to print, if you don't print but instead click cancel or press escape, when the menus are redrawn the File menu remains highlighted.

I can reproduce this easily on Mac OS 10.7 when I press Command-P and Escape a couple of times. I have seen this issue before and I believe that it is caused by updating menu items. Starting with Mac OS X 10.6 and higher, there is no way to tell the menubar to repaint itself so when we update menus while one menu item is selected, Mac OS X does not repaint the menubar.

I will see if I can delay updating the menu items until after menubar tracking has ended.

amayze wrote:
Second: After opening a document that has been locked in OS X 10.7 due to not being edited recently, the selection highlight is not drawn after it is duplicated.

I can easily reproduce this on my Mac OS X 10.7 machine. What I also found is that if I drag the selected text in the duplicate document back to the original document and then cancel the "do you want to unlock or duplicate" dialog, NeoOffice will hang.

I suspect the bug that you found and the hanging that I found are related so I will investigate these bugs first.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the following bugs reported in amayze's and my last posts:

1. When a modal dialog window appears as a result of pressing a menu shortcut, the menubar would have a highlighted menu item after the dialog was closed.

2. On Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8, when typing in a locked document brings the "unlock or duplicate" dialog, selecting the "duplicate" option would disable drawing of the selected color when selecting any text in the duplicate document. Also, dragging the duplicate document's selected text back into the locked document would cause NeoOffice to hang.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if these bugs are fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-8-Intel.dmg

I would also like to thank everyone who has been using these test patches. All of you have been really finding some subtle bugs that our simple testing would never have found.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

Test 8 fixes 1. but not 2. for me.

I still don't get the highlight, until after I select something from a menu. I don't get the hang you described though, but I never saw that anyway.

Also I've found an odd problem, which is probably not related to the current changes.

I have a blank headed paper template, which I have recently modified. Now when I open a locked document that was created from this template some time ago I am informed that the template has changed and do I want to update the letter to reflect the changes. Assuming I don't I click Keep Old Styes, I am then asked about unlocking the document, I click Cancel and all is well.

Now if I try to type in the locked document I get stuck in a loop of document unlocking and style updating, it doesn't matter what I click in either dialogue box the only way out is to unlock the document for editing, which may not be what I want to do.

Somewhere in all this loop I noticed that the top got chopped off some of the text. So I attach a screen shot of that.

Thanks again for the speedy fixes. It's nice to be involved again!

Cheers,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I still don't get the highlight, until after I select something from a menu. I don't get the hang you described though, but I never saw that anyway.

After rebooting and reinstalling the test patch, I am seeing this bug as well so I will relook at this bug.

amayze wrote:
Now if I try to type in the locked document I get stuck in a loop of document unlocking and style updating, it doesn't matter what I click in either dialogue box the only way out is to unlock the document for editing, which may not be what I want to do.

I suspect that regardless of which button you press, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is editing the document. Can you try pressing the Escape key or pressing the red "close window" button in the dialog's titlebar and tell us if that lets you escape the loop without having to unlock the document?

amayze wrote:
Somewhere in all this loop I noticed that the top got chopped off some of the text. So I attach a screen shot of that.

The problem I am having is that I don't know how to reproduce this bug. Can you attach your template file? Maybe if I add your template, create a simple document from it, and then change its modification date to the distant past, I can get the same behavior as you are seeing.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

amayze wrote:

I suspect that regardless of which button you press, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is editing the document. Can you try pressing the Escape key or pressing the red "close window" button in the dialog's titlebar and tell us if that lets you escape the loop without having to unlock the document?

Will try the escape key tomorrow, need to go and get my daughter from nursery now!

pluby wrote:

amayze wrote:

The problem I am having is that I don't know how to reproduce this bug. Can you attach your template file? Maybe if I add your template, create a simple document from it, and then change its modification date to the distant past, I can get the same behavior as you are seeing.

Patrick

Just time to attach the template. Looking at the NeoOffice help (which btw has the wrong button names in it!) the template must be in the proper place within the NeoOffice prefs folder for the updating to work.

Cheers,

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Will try the escape key tomorrow, need to go and get my daughter from nursery now!

No need to test the escape key. I was able to reproduce the behavior that you describe in both with and without the "de-Javafied" test patch and the underlying OpenOffice.org code is making edits to the document even when you select the "keep changes" options.

I think the OpenOffice.org code is being a bit too helpful but I did find a workaround to break out of this loop of conflict between the Mac OS X "locked file" functionality and OpenOffice.org's desire to force edits to a document. To break out of the loop, select the "unlock" option in the first dialog, then select the "keep changes" option in the second dialog, and don't save your document. By not saving your document it will still be locked the next time that you open it.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the late reply. Here's some more findings.

pluby wrote:
So, can you try the following steps to help me narrow down the cause of what you are seeing?:

1. If you select the View :: Zoom menu and in the dialog that appears, set the zoom factor to 100%, does the same behavior occur?

2. If the answer to step 1 is "yes", then does the same behavior occur if you increase the point size slightly? If so, what was the original point size that you used and what did you have to increase the point size to before the behavior stopped?

3. If you have the time to try other fonts, do you see this behavior occur when using any of the standard fonts that are bundled with Mac OS X?

To some degree this happens in my test file at various magnifications. But I get it quite strongly at 17%, 128% and 129% magnification at 10 point size, also with Times New Roman.

I also get some more visible anti-aliasing in the preferences with Lucida Grande (which I have set to replace Andale Sans UI). Almost feels like it is being anti-aliased twice.

Best wishes,
Oscar

amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I think the OpenOffice.org code is being a bit too helpful but I did find a workaround to break out of this loop of conflict between the Mac OS X "locked file" functionality and OpenOffice.org's desire to force edits to a document. To break out of the loop, select the "unlock" option in the first dialog, then select the "keep changes" option in the second dialog, and don't save your document. By not saving your document it will still be locked the next time that you open it.

Yes I found that was the only way out too. It is strange that it doesn't get stuck in this loop when the document is first opened, just when you start typing. Also strange is that if I start typing, click "Cancel" then "Keep Old Styles" then "Unlock" the document title bar says "Edited" but you are not asked to save changes when you close the window!

However I appreciate that this has nothing to do with the current de-Javafication of NeoOffice and is probably not going to be a high priority. Maybe I'll put something in the wiki about it.

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the bug that amayze originally reported where on Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8, when typing in a locked document brings the "unlock or duplicate" dialog, selecting the "duplicate" option would disable drawing of the selected color when selecting any text in the duplicate document.

I found that this bug has existed since NeoOffice 3.2.1 was originally released and the bug was originally reported in this forum topic last October so our new "de-Javafied" code wasn't the cause of the bug. Instead, bug was caused by reverting the changes in the original document before NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code has finished all of its steps for loading the duplicate document.

To fix this bug, the following test patch now writes the duplicate document to a temporary file, waits for Mac OS X to call our code to revert the original document's changes, and then loads the duplicate document after the reversion has finished:

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the highlighting bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-9-Intel.dmg

amayze wrote:
Yes I found that was the only way out too. It is strange that it doesn't get stuck in this loop when the document is first opened, just when you start typing. Also strange is that if I start typing, click "Cancel" then "Keep Old Styles" then "Unlock" the document title bar says "Edited" but you are not asked to save changes when you close the window!

When the document is first opened, you have not made any changes to the document so the Mac OS X document locking functions have not been triggered yet. Once you start typing, the OpenOffice.org code now has unsaved edits which triggers a set of additional code to be executed such as OpenOffice.org's undo changes tracking.

As for "Edited" in the titlebar, Mac OS X controls that and displays "Edited" because while you have not edited the document, you have edited the document file's lock status and you have not yet saved that lock status change. I am not sure if it is feasible or not, but I will look at our code and see if it is possible to tell the OpenOffice.org code that the document is edited when a document has been unlocked.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
....Also strange is that if I start typing, click "Cancel" then "Keep Old Styles" then "Unlock" the document title bar says "Edited" but you are not asked to save changes when you close the window!

I have implemented code in the following test patch that detects when you have unlocked a document and then tells the OpenOffice.org code to change the document's state to "modified". This will cause the Save toolbar button and menu item to be enabled and the "save or discard" dialog to appear when you close the document.

Edit by pluby: I forgot to mention that I never could reproduce the clipped drawing in the screen snapshot in this forum post so if you see it after installing the following test patch, please let us know.

Please let us know if the following test patch causes any unexpected behavior with locked files:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-10-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject:

Patch 5 Test 10 fixes the text highlighting problem in duplicated documents for me.

pluby wrote:
Edit by pluby: I forgot to mention that I never could reproduce the clipped drawing in the screen snapshot in this forum post so if you see it after installing the following test patch, please let us know.

This has happened again once while I was testing, but I can't find a way to reproduce it.

Also whilst testing Test 8 the Window menu got stuck highlighted, but again I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what I was doing and haven't been able to reproduce it.

I'll keep an eye out for both issues and let you know if I manage to find some step to reproduce them.

Andy.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject:

Just been working on a spreadsheet and noticed another bug.

When I move the cursor around the sheet with the arrow keys the contents of the current cell is normally displayed in the bar at the top. However now they do not show up when moving vertically from a blank cell to one with content. Indeed the cell contents aren't displayed until the new cell has a different value from the previous one.

Moving from right to left seems to work ok. Moving from left to right displays the first character of the cell but the rest is cut off.

Also when entering new data it is not displayed in the top bar, and when entering a formula (i.e. starting with '=') cell references are shown when selected by moving the cursor, but not the rest of the formula.

I've attached a little test spreadsheet.

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12