Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 3.2.1 Patch 5 on 10.5 General Error on Save after Print
3.2.1 Patch 5 on 10.5 General Error on Save after Print

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: 3.2.1 Patch 5 on 10.5 General Error on Save after Print

We have 3.2.1 Patch 5 (This also occured on 3.1) on 10.5.8. We use a 10.5.8 Server and the files are hosted there. On any file if you change the file, print the file it will then give you an error if you try and save the file. However if you save first the print there is no error.

The error given is "Error saving document NAME: General Error. General input/output error."

Could the printing process be locking something?

Thank you for your help.

Chris Brandstetter
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Since this problem will likely be difficult for me to reproduce on our machines, I would like to try and narrow down what conditions might be causing the issue that you see so can you try the following and tell us what results you get?:

1. Does this only occur if there is certain types content like tables, embedded spreadsheets, etc. in the document? A way to find this out is to make a copy of a document that this problem, open it, delete all of the content in the document, print, and then try to save.

2. Does this occur if you select the File :: Print menu and in the native print dialog that appears, choose the Preview or Save as PDF option instead of pressing the Print button?

3. Can you go to your Desktop, find the volume that is your Mac OS X 10.5.8 server, right-click or Control-click on that volume's icon. In the popup menu that appears, select the Get Info option. If you can take a screen snapshot of the window that appears and attach it to your next post, that will hopefully give me some clues as to how I can replicate your mounted volume setup on my machines.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Is this problem still occurring on your machines? If so, we are definitely interested in seeing what results you get from each of the three items I listed in my post last week.

I am not sure if this bug is occurring as a result of native file locking or an invalid internal state being set with NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code, but we usually are able to find the cause of the bug and then fix it after iterating through the troubleshooting steps that we post.

Patrick
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Sorry I was gone for almost 2 weeks. It might be group specific, I still need to check this, on the acl side. Everyone is a member of the al-staff group, however members of al-p-paralegals have the problem while members of al-p-lawclerks do not.

Here are screen captures:
Picture 1.png A parent folder on the server, a sub folder of the Share root folder
Picture 2.png The Share root folder on the server
Picture 3.png That same Share root on the workstations
Picture 4.png That same parent folder on the server
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject:

AHBLawyers wrote:
Sorry I was gone for almost 2 weeks. It might be group specific, I still need to check this, on the acl side. Everyone is a member of the al-staff group, however members of al-p-paralegals have the problem while members of al-p-lawclerks do not.

Is it possible to execute the following command in a Terminal on a machine that is a member of the "al-p-paralegals" group and then execute the same commands on a machine that is a member of the "al-p-lawclerks" group?:

Code:
ls -le /Volume/Shared/Cases/path/to/problem/file

If you can do execute the command and post the Terminal output for each run, I am hoping that the difference in effective permissions will give me a clue where to look next for the source of the problem.

Patrick
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: No difference :-(

al-p-paralegals User:
bash-3.2$ ls -le /Volumes/Cases/Plaintiffs/PLAINTIFFS_I-O/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/Exhibits/WORKBOOK.ods
-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 501 alstaff 72909 Jun 8 08:42 /Volumes/Cases/Plaintiffs/PLAINTIFFS_I-O/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/Exhibits/WORKBOOK.ods
0: group:alit inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
1: group:alstaff inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity

al-p-lawclerks User:
bash-3.2$ ls -le /Volumes/Cases/Plaintiffs/PLAINTIFFS_I-O/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/Exhibits/WORKBOOK.ods
-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 501 alstaff 72909 Jun 8 08:42 /Volumes/Cases/Plaintiffs/PLAINTIFFS_I-O/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/Exhibits/WORKBOOK.ods
0: group:alit inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
1: group:alstaff inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the output. The output for both of users is identical byte for byte so I think that we can conclude that permissions on the document file itself is the cause.

Since your remote volume is an AFP volume and there is special code for locking files on AFP volumes, can you trigger the specific case that the special AFP locking code using the following steps?:

1. Open one of the problem documents on a machine that has this problem and select the Tools :: Options menu.

2. In the dialog that appears, select the Load/Save :: General item.

3. If the "Always create backup copy" checkbox is checked, uncheck it. If it is unchecked, check it. Then press the OK button.

4. Try printing (or printing to the Preview application to save paper).

Can you save after doing the above? If so, can you tell us whether you checked or unchecked the "Always create backup copy" checkbox in step 3?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1