· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Zoom Issue Revisited
Zoom Issue Revisited

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Zoom Issue Revisited

I've been having trouble recently with accidentally zooming in NeoOffice, even though I have "Ignore Trackpad Gestures" checked Under NeoOffice>MacOSX Options.

I finally figured out that it is unintentional command-two finger scrolling that is doing it. My finger lingers on the the command-key, and I'm not aware that I have two fingers on the trackpad.

I see looking back at some old threads that this is a feature of NeoOffice. What I can't tell is if it's something specific to Neo's adaptation of OOo to Mac, and if so, if it is something that could be turned off by a user.
In truth, I'd rather turn trackpad gestures back on, and turn off the command-two finger zoom (I'm used to pinching/unpinching to zoom).

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom Issue Revisited

The first thing to try is opening the System Preferences application, click on the Trackpad icon, and see if you have checked the "Ignore accidental trackpad input" checkbox.

Unfortunately, NeoOffice cannot differentiate how the magnify events that it receives from Mac OS X were generated so if that checkbox is checked or checking that checkbox does not reduce the number of accidental magify events that trigger in NeoOffice, can you post a screen snapshot of that System Preferences panel so that we can see what options Mac OS X has available for you type of laptop?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Patrick:

Both of my MacbookPros are new enough that they have Multi-Touch trackpads, and thus, according to this Apple tech note, "Functionality for "Ignore accidental trackpad input" is enabled automatically, by default for these computers."

In other words, there is no "Ignore accidental trackpad input" checkbox in my System Preferences.

I have attached a screenshot of System Preferences.

What is interesting to me is that Neo doesn't differentiate how the magnify events are generated, but Neo manages to screen out the pinch-to zoom (because I have "Ignore trackpad gestures" checked, in NeoOffice, I presume) but doesn't screen out the command-two-finger scroll. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
What is interesting to me is that Neo doesn't differentiate how the magnify events are generated, but Neo manages to screen out the pinch-to zoom (because I have "Ignore trackpad gestures" checked, in NeoOffice, I presume) but doesn't screen out the command-two-finger scroll. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

I was confused. I had thought that checking "Ignore trackpad gestures" was disabling this behavior for you. If checking that menu item does not disabling magnifying your document, then it makes much more sense.

Here is what is happening: your two-finger scrolling causes Mac OS X to send scroll wheel events to NeoOffice and NeoOffice's underlying code responds to Command key plus scroll wheel by zooming.

In other words, you are triggering built-in OpenOffice.org behavior. Since the "Ignore trackpad gestures" menu item only turns off magnify (pinch and stretch) events, your two-finger scrolling bypasses that menu item's code because they look like scroll wheel events to NeoOffice.

If what I described above is true, you should see the zooming stop if you release the Command key. Even if you are in the middle of two-finger scrolling, releasing that key should immediately switch from magnifying the document to only scrolling vertically.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Ah, that makes more sense.

I take it, then, that there is no way to turn tell NeoOffice/OpenOffice to ignore the "scrollwheel" behaviors?

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I take it, then, that there is no way to turn tell NeoOffice/OpenOffice to ignore the "scrollwheel" behaviors?

No. Scroll wheel events are like keyboard and mouse events and writing code so turning off such basic events completely would basically be like using a broken mouse or keyboard.

Also, ignoring this hardcoded OpenOffice.org key plus scroll wheel combination would definitely not be popular. I remember accidentally breaking the Command key plus scroll wheel event handling and that generated several bug reports.

So, I would recommend that you see if the "More Gestures" button in the System Preferences application's Trackpad panel has the ability to switch from using the Command key to the Control or other key.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, the "More Gestures" panel doesn't contain anything related to modifier keys or scrolling. I'll just have to live with it. At least now I know what I'm doing to trigger it, and why it's happening.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Unfortunately, the "More Gestures" panel doesn't contain anything related to modifier keys or scrolling. I'll just have to live with it. At least now I know what I'm doing to trigger it, and why it's happening.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but Apple's hardware changes are sending a strong message of how they expect users to use their hardware or your particular use style is not compatible with their expectations. I admit I don't always like Apple's "there is only one way" approach but ultimately if you buy a Mac laptop, you really only have the choice to adapt or be frustrated by their hardware changes.

I know change is hard, but essentially your use style is scrolling while typing. I understand your frustration but Apple laptops have not tolerated parking of any digits very close to the trackpad for many years now and whether you like it or not, you are flooding every application with scrollwheel events when you park your fingers close to the trackpad.

I still run into this parking problem every time I use my old Mac laptop that has a tiny trackpad, I have a tendency to hover my left thumb near the spacebar because I prefer to work with a keyboard and mouse. So when I use my right index finger on the trackpad, Mac OS X thinks I am dragging. After triggering dragging several times, I have to force myself to pull my left hand away from the spacebar otherwise using the laptop is a very frustrating experience.

Essentially, both of our habits are like driving a car while pressing both the gas and brake pedals. It burns up a lot of gas (flood of events) and makes the car difficult to drive.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject:

Indeed, I'll have to work on my "lazy" fingers. I wasn't even aware of the fact that my finger was lingering on the command key after using it. And I've run into other problems because I tend to let my thumb or another finger rest (or come close to resting) on the trackpad: habits from a time when such things did not matter.

The odd thing is that Apple doesn't seem to use the command-two finger scroll action in its own apps: it behaves just like a regular two-finger scroll in the Apple apps I've tried it on. Of course maybe that's precisely why there's no way to change it in System Preferences: Apple doesn't use it, so they don't think about applications that do.

Thanks for clarifying this for me, even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1