Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Hang after installing Language Pack
Hang after installing Language Pack

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Hang after installing Language Pack

I installed 3.3 Beta over the last of the 3.2.1 test patches and it launched fine and responded to mouse clicks etc. Then I quit NeoOffice and installed the 3.3 Beta British English Language pack.

I went off and did a few things in other apps then came back to NeoOffice with Cmd-Tab. I tried to open a new document, but after clicking the file menu I just got the Spinning Pizza of Death and the application became unresponsive. The were no other open NeoOffice windows at the time.

I took a sample, attached. Then force quit and re-launched NeoOffice. All seems fine now. I can try to reproduce the hang with the aid of Time Machine if you'd like.

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample. From what I can see, a deadlock is occurring in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice code's update checking code. I'll have to study the sample further to figure what lock the update code is waiting for but that is what is hanging NeoOffice.

I am not sure yet if installing the language pack is the cause or a just a coincidence.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug in the following test patch. After looking at your NeoOffice sample file, I believe that this is the same bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code that was reported in this forum topic in NeoOffice 3.2.1.

My fix in NeoOffice may have fixed that instance of this OpenOffice.org bug, but your sample shows that this deadlocking bug can show up in more than one location in the OpenOffice.org code. So, I implemented a new fix to hopefully prevent this deadlocking bug from occurring in both your case and the other previously reported case.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta-Patch-0-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 0 Test 3, but I'm not quite sure how to trigger the bug to test it.

Is there a way of predicting when NeoOffice will do a background check for updates, or indeed a way of making it do it?

If not, then I'll just keep an eye out for it and see how it goes.

Andy.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject:

Just quit NeoOffice after having had it sat open all day (6 hours or so), and it crashed.

Log attached.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the crash log. The crash appears to be occurring in the same code "create menu item" code that the crash you reported in this forum post so I suspect that our code is getting a menu item title or other setting that it is not expecting. I will investigate the crash.

As for triggering the update check, it runs by default once per week. You could increase the frequency but the hard part of reproducing that particular deadlock bug is that it only occurs when both the update check is accessing your user preference files and the OpenOffice.org "periodically write unsaved preference changes to disk" timer runs. These two events rarely happen at the same which is probably why the OpenOffice.org engineers never noticed this bug. So, I think we just have to wait and see if the bug reappears.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I'll switch the update check to daily to increase the chances of the deadlock and see what happens.

And a thought on the crash. I used to get a fairly regular crash on quit on my machine that runs the database all day. This has gone away with the latest of the 3.2.1 Patch 6 Test xx that I'm using on it. Today's crash was on a different machine, but it was when quitting with a copy of the same base document open. Don't know if that's significant.

Andy.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject:

So much for my theory. It's just crashed on quit again on my home mac with no base document open. Crash log attached for completeness.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I think that the crashing may be a side effect of one of the following changes:

- My fix for the listbox drawing bug in Base

- A fix for an obscure OpenOffice.org crashing bug that occurs when you have a second level popup menu visible (for example, right-click in a Writer document, mouse over the Font option in the popup menu, and move the mouse over a font name) and you quit NeoOffice

I have removed the second bug fix and left the first fix in the following test patch.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the crashing still occurs on your machine? If it does, I will try remove bits of the first bug fix:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta-Patch-0-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I just experienced a crash with Test Patch 4 on Mac OS 10.6.8.

Steps to reproduce:

- Start NeoOffice
- In blank document (or spreadsheet) type a few characters
- Do not save
- Use the menu NeoOffice :: Quit
- Select "Discard" from the pop-up menu

The crash does not happen when using cmd-Q to quit
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:
I just experienced a crash with Test Patch 4 on Mac OS 10.6.8.

I can reproduce this crash in Test 4 with OS X 10.7.4. Also in with Test 3 it crashes, but hangs for a few seconds first.

The crash also doesn't happen if you use File->Exit.

Crash logs attached.

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject:

Further fiddling about with NeoOffice->Quit and this time it hung, so here is a sample.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:
- Use the menu NeoOffice :: Quit
- Select "Discard" from the pop-up menu

The crash does not happen when using cmd-Q to quit

I think that I need to remind everyone that posting multiple crash logs for the same crash does not help if I don't have any steps to reproduce the crash. I really was stuck after the first crash log until narf posted the missing piece: the exact steps needed to reproduce the bug.

I almost never quit via using a menu and pressing Command-Q is an automatic move so I could never reproduce this crash. Now that I know that you have to manually open the menubar and select the Quit menu to reproduce the bug, I will investigate.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the crashing when quitting using the NeoOffice :: Quit or File :: Exit menus.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the crashing bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta-Patch-0-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:

Test Patch 5 fixed the crash when using the menu to quit.
Thank you for your quick response.
Fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum