Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - crash in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta
crash in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: crash in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta

Dear I tested pasting from Word 2011 and got a crash. Log is attached for your debugging pleasure. I also noticed that my machine was really slow when the two were open together..
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the crash log. The crash log indicates that the crash is occurring in the Mac OS X event dispatching code and, AFAICT, is not occurring in directly in any of NeoOffice's code or its underlying OpenOffice.org code.

What I do see is that Java has been loaded and is running within NeoOffice I am wondering if this is a Java crash. Since in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta only Base and a few OpenOffice.org wizards use Java, did you do any actions that might have triggered loading of Java? If not, are you running any custom extensions in NeoOffice that might use Java?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I shouldn't have triggered Java from Base, since I just started NeoOffice and started a new Writer document...

I have the following extensions installed:

English spelling
French spelling
NeoOffice grammar checker
NeoOffice image capture
NeoOffice media browser
NeoOffice mobile
NeoOffice remote control
PDF import extension
Presentation minimizer
Presenter console
Spanish spelling
Sun report builder

I hope this helps. I don't need the Sun stuff, so they can go if they cause the problem.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Well, you are running Java so you must have invoked it via one of the wizards if you didn't run Base. So far there is nothing in your crash log that points to what code is triggering the crash other than something native (e.g. menus) or Java.

Is there any reproducible steps that you can find that I can use to reproduce this bug?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject:

I will try to get it to consistently reproduce when I have some time to play. Don't worry about it for now Smile.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Yes, it is unfortunate that Sun decided to dump a lot of extraneous Java where it really wasn't needed.

In the meantime for Word 2011, can you try to run this application and peek at what's on the pasteboard? Unfortunately you'll probably need to compile it:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/PasteboardPeeker/Introduction/Intro.html

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
In the meantime for Word 2011, can you try to run this application and peek at what's on the pasteboard? Unfortunately you'll probably need to compile it:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/PasteboardPeeker/Introduction/Intro.html

Or you can use Pasteboard Inspector, which is a lot more user-friendly than Apple's (and no compiling required).

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Oh nice. The key is at least if we can get a text dump of whatever Microsoft is placing on the pasteboard. Then at least we'll see why they decided to change their flavors. If they're using a custom flavor though then there might not be any chance of interpreting the data.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject:

I've made a PDF of the Pasteboard Inspector output, and I am attaching it here.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. I'll start looking through to see what flavors its trying to put on there. It appears that the "HTML" section is not HTML but rather OpenXML formatted.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, you can't really see much of the content of the public.html/Apple HTML pasteboard type flavors, only the stuffed-to-the-gills content of the opening <html> tag. (That's my one complaint with the PDF output of Pasteboard Inspector, but I've never needed to share the PDF output often enough to make me complain to the author about it…)

Oscar, can you copy the contents of the "string data" field for one of those two flavors (they're the same, just with two different names)? That would let Ed see if it really is normal HTML or if it's OpenXML or some mishmash.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject:

One question for Oscar: when you copied from Word 2011 and got the information that you posted, was the Edit :: Paste and Paste Special menus enabled or disabled in NeoOffice?

I ask because even if the RTF and HTML are unreadable, the existence of those data formats should cause those menus to be enabled. If those NeoOffice menus are enabled, then can you try to collect the same information when those NeoOffice menus remain disabled after a copying in Word 2011?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Although I ran into the crashing bug that ovvldc reported, I haven't been to reproduce it after fixing the menu bugs reported in this forum topic.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the crashing still occurs for you? If so, can you post a new crash log?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta-Patch-0-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject:

FYI. We released NeoOffice 3.3 Beta Patch 1 today. Can you install that patch and tell us if the crashing still occurs?

You can download the patch from the NeoOffice 3.3 Beta patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum