Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Failure to insert characters from OS Character Palette + han
Failure to insert characters from OS Character Palette + han

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
You have "show font previews" enabled? If so, the first time you scroll through the entire list you are forcing Mac OS X to load every font on your system.

Yes, I do. It does it the first time you scroll, but it keeps doing it after you've been right through the list and back again. It gradually gets smoother the more you scroll, but it still seems more flickery than the Java version.

pluby wrote:
Also, what are you trying to do with Webdings font? It is a symbol font and has no glyphs for regular characters so you won't see a preview of that font. If you are trying to type regular text with that font, all input will fallback to a normal, non-symbol font.

Ok, I was havering. I hadn't realised that, but I think I have found another issue.

- open a new Writer document
- open the Character Viewer from the menu bar.
(it may need turned on via System Preference::Keyboard::Show keyboard & Character viewers in Menu Bar)
- Double click a character in the Characters floater - nothing happens
- Type enter
- Double click a character - a carriage return is entered in the document
- Type some text then move back through it with the left arrow key
- Double click a character - the insertion point continues to move left
- Click to the end of the line of text, type return and a few more characters
- Double click a character - the character is inserted correctly.

During this process I've had couple of hangs, so I attach a sample.
Also once the characters start appearing I'm not convinced they all get displayed.

[edit]
Ignore that last line, I've just tried it with TextEdit and it's equally unreliable on repeated double clicks on the same character, so it's not a NeoOffice issue.
[/edit]

Hope that's clearer now!

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I realise now that I can't claim to have reproduced Phil's problem as I now understand that what he said is not clear enough. However hopefully what I described above is.
sardisson wrote:
1) the OS Character Palette, or

That's what I've been using.
sardisson wrote:
Edit: If the problem is that you're using one of the methods above and the Webdings/Windings characters still aren't showing up in NeoOffice, then we'll need to know more info, such as the version of your font, the version of Mac OS X, and how you're inserting the character, to start.

I'm using OS X 10.7.4. I don't think the font makes any difference.

HtH

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
During this process I've had couple of hangs, so I attach a sample.
Also once the characters start appearing I'm not convinced they all get displayed.

[edit]
Ignore that last line, I've just tried it with TextEdit and it's equally unreliable on repeated double clicks on the same character, so it's not a NeoOffice issue.
[/edit]

So just to summarize what I understand to be the current state of this forum topic, we have the following:

1. A hanging bug. This appears to be a deadlock in our code.

2. Intermittent failure when inserting characters from the Mac OS X Character Palette but that appears to be a Character Palette bug since it occurs when inserting into other Apple applications like TextEdit.

Is my summary correct or is did I miss anything?

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
So just to summarize what I understand to be the current state of this forum topic, we have the following:

1. A hanging bug. This appears to be a deadlock in our code.

Yes, there would appear to be a hanging bug.
pluby wrote:

2. Intermittent failure when inserting characters from the Mac OS X Character Palette but that appears to be a Character Palette bug since it occurs when inserting into other Apple applications like TextEdit.

Yes, this is also the case with repeated double clicks on the character palette in quick succession. However there is a third issue. Hopefully if you follow my steps above you will see it too. I've done a little more testing and it seems to be specifically this:

When you double click on a character in the character palette it only appears in the document if the last key press in NeoOffice was an alpha-numeric character. Otherwise the last key press is repeated.

e.g.
- Type some text. Double click in the character palette -> character inserted in to NeoOffice document
- Press return. Double click in the character palette -> Carriage return inserted in NeoOffice document
- Move the insertion pointer with an arrow key. Double click in the character palette -> Insertion point moves again in the same direction as arrow key press.

I hope this is clear now, but if not I can record another screen video to show it.

Yours,

Andy
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
When you double click on a character in the character palette it only appears in the document if the last key press in NeoOffice was an alpha-numeric character. Otherwise the last key press is repeated.

e.g.
- Type some text. Double click in the character palette -> character inserted in to NeoOffice document
- Press return. Double click in the character palette -> Carriage return inserted in NeoOffice document
- Move the insertion pointer with an arrow key. Double click in the character palette -> Insertion point moves again in the same direction as arrow key press.

I can reproduce this behavior in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta on Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Further, if for some reason you

1) Open a new (Writer) document
2) Open the Mac OS X Character Palette
3) Try to insert a character from the Palette (e.g., without having typed in the document yet)

--> Inserting fails.

Also

1) Open new (Writer) document
2) Open the Mac OS X Character Palette
3) Cmd-N to open a new (Writer) document
4) Cmd-` to switch back to the original document
5) Try to insert a character from the Palette

--> Inserting fails, but NeoOffice opens a new (Writer) document Shocked

So it appears something is remembering, per-document, the last keystroke, and when the last keystroke was not "alphanumeric"* (or when it is null), it repeats that last keystroke when trying to insert something from the OS Character Palette.

* Symbols, Arabic letters, etc. all count as "alphanumeric" here; I guess non-alphanumeric keystrokes are those that don't cause a character to be printed to screen, such as Return, Arrow Keys, and Cmd-N….

I'll stop looking for different variants of the "steps to reproduce" now Wink I've verified that these behaviors are specific to 3.3 Beta; they do not happen with 3.2.1 Patch-6, where inserting works normally.

I have not noticed any hangs while trying to perform these steps, though.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed both of the insert a character from the Character Viewer bugs that amayze reported.

Can you install the test patch and tell us these bugs are fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta-Patch-0-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject:

I can confirm Test-6 fixes the Character Palette bugs for me.

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject:

Patch 0 Test 6 fixes the insertion bug for me, and despite much double clicking on the character palette I haven't been able to make NeoOffice hang as it did before either.

Thanks

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fixes for these Character Viewer bugs in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta Patch 1. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice 3.3 Beta patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum