Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Word completion seems to ignore undo/redo
Word completion seems to ignore undo/redo

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Word completion seems to ignore undo/redo

I found another oddity:

I was editing a document and I noticed that when I had word completion suggesting a word, and I hit command-z, the document reverted as it should, but the suggestion from the word completion stayed even if the letters that triggered is were gone.

It disappeared once I did something other than undo/redo keys.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject:

I can reproduce this and I will investigate. Since pressing an arrow key deletes the autocompleted text, I assume that our code needs to send some event to the underlying OpenOffice.org code after dispatching the menu shortcut event before it will clear the text.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug and in the following test patch, pressing the Command-Z keys or selecting the Edit :: Undo shortcut should clear any autocompletion text.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject:

Not yet. Pressing command-z when an autocomplete is visible still removes the bits that are being autocompleted, but not the suggested part until do something else..
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Not yet. Pressing command-z when an autocomplete is visible still removes the bits that are being autocompleted, but not the suggested part until do something else..

Interesting. My fix only works when I undo the first autocomplete suggestion that appears and it reappears once a second automplete suggestion occurs. Is that what you see? Or does it still occur with the first autocomplete suggestion in a document?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject:

For me, autocomplete suggestion never changes when I undo (for clarity: I undo while it is highlighted in blue and I haven't chosen to use it).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Surprisingly, I found out that what you are seeing is actually the normal behavior in all Mac OS X versions of OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice. This OpenOffice.org behavior only occurs when the Edit :: Undo menu item is selected via clicking on the menu item or pressing the Command-Z keys.

What is strange is that if the menu item is not selected and the Command-Z key press and release "fall through" to the window itself, the OpenOffice.org code behaves like you expect it.

The reason that you notice the OpenOffice.org menu item behavior in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 is that, for some unknown reason, in NeoOffice 3.2.1 and prior versions, the Java menus ignored Command-Z keys and those keys would always fall through to the window. But, in those Java-based versions, you would see the OpenOffice.org menu item behavior if you selected the Edit :: Undo menu item with the mouse.

I will have to think about this more. Since this is not a critical hanging or crashing bug, I am very reluctant to try messing with the OpenOffice.org menu item code that causes this behavior. But maybe there are some simpler things that I can try if I think about it a bit.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject:

That is surprising.

Anyway, it is a cosmetic thing, so feel free to put it on your list of bugs to tackle when you are bored Wink.

Thanks for investigating.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Although the behavior you see is an OpenOffice.org bug, NeoOffice 3.2.1 did not show this bug in most cases so I spent some time trying to find a way to implement the NeoOffice 3.2.1 behavior.

I think that I have found a way. In the following test patch I changed our native menu handling code to dispatch fake key press and released events instead of menu selected events.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the OpenOffice.org bug still occurs for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-11-Intel.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject:

This seems to have done the trick. Thanks!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 1 which you can download from the NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 patch download page.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject:

I found that my fix for this bug caused this bug. Also, I found that the original bug still occurs when autocomplete displays some text and you select menu items without a key shortcut such as the items in the Insert :: Formatting Mark menu.

So, to fix the above issues, I reimplemented my fix for the original bug. Can you install either of the following test patches and tell us if the original bug is still fixed for you?:

NeoOffice 3.4:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4-Patch-0-Test-5-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 2013.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2013.1-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum