Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Getting document window out of the dock
Getting document window out of the dock

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Getting document window out of the dock

This one probably is a bug, because the Finder and Terminal don't have it Wink.

When I lower a NeoOffice document into the dock, it stays there when I click on the NeoOffice icon. I can only get it out by clicking on the document window.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Getting document window out of the dock

ovvldc wrote:
This one probably is a bug, because the Finder and Terminal don't have it Wink.

When I lower a NeoOffice document into the dock, it stays there when I click on the NeoOffice icon. I can only get it out by clicking on the document window.

What happens when you click on the application's icon in the Dock depends on how many application windows are not minimized. If all windows are minimized, one of the windows will be unminimized. However, if at least one window is not minimized, none of the minimized windows will be unminimized.

In the first case, nothing ever gets unminimized in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 or NeoOffice 3.2.1 so I will investigate what needs to be implemented to make at least one window be unminimized.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug by changing the code so that when NeoOffice becomes the active application, if all document windows are in the Dock, one of the document windows when be "deminiaturized" and displayed.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject:

It didn't work for me yet on 10.6.8 Smile. I also noticed that when I push the document window into the doc, the styles utility window (thin title bar) stayed up. A search window does the same.

Ideally, if a document window goes into the dock, all those windows that have to do with that document temporarily disappear, only to reappear (with the same contents) when you get the document back out from the dock..

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
It didn't work for me yet on 10.6.8 Smile. I also noticed that when I push the document window into the doc, the styles utility window (thin title bar) stayed up. A search window does the same.

What do you mean by "it didn't work"? The standard Mac OS X behavior is that undocking only occurs when there are no undocked document windows.

ovvldc wrote:
Ideally, if a document window goes into the dock, all those windows that have to do with that document temporarily disappear, only to reappear (with the same contents) when you get the document back out from the dock..

While there is a problem that is preventing regular windows like the Find and Replace from hiding when the document window is minimized (and I am investigating that), your idea of how utility windows work is not standard Mac OS X behavior and will not be implemented.

Go look at TextEdit and open the font utility window and you will see that utility windows float above all application windows and do not disappear when a document window is minimized. Instead, utility windows hide when another application becomes the active application.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject:

It half works for me.

To explain:

1 - Open two documents in NeoOffice 3.3 B2 Patch 2
2 - Minimize them both to the dock
3 - Click on a different running app on the dock
4 - Click on NeoOffice in the dock
5 - One of the windows is un-minimized

6 - Repeat the above, but miss out step 3 - no window is un-minimized.

If you repeat all of the above in TextEdit there is no difference in the behaviour when TextEdit is already the front most application.

Hope that's clear.

Andy
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
While there is a problem that is preventing regular windows like the Find and Replace from hiding when the document window is minimized (and I am investigating that), your idea of how utility windows work is not standard Mac OS X behavior and will not be implemented

Amayze gave me the clue: those windows disappear when I active another app. So no problems with that. I didn't check too extensively earlier. Apologies, it was a long day at the office.

As for the undocking, it doesn't work for me when I have one document in the dock, click on another application, then click on the NeoOffice icon again. The utility window comes back, but not the document (which may have been what had me confused as well).

Unfortunately, trying with two documents (and having no utility windows) didn't undock either for me, no matter where I clicked in between.

amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Further playing around with TextEdit and NeoOffice…
…and I realise this may not be possible/easy/count as a new feature, but I thought I'd share my discoveries:

In TextEdit minimised windows have a diamond next to their name in the Window menu. Selecting such a windows name in the menu un-minimises it and makes it the front most window.

In NeoOffice minimised windows are not marked in the Window menu. Selecting them from the menu does nothing.

As I say, this is an observation. There are probably bigger fish to fry.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Unfortunately, trying with two documents (and having no utility windows) didn't undock either for me, no matter where I clicked in between.

Just to confirm. You have only two documents open and when both are minimized, clicking on the NeoOffice Dock icon after switching to another application does not unminimize either of the documents, right?

If so, I cannot reproduce what you describe on Mac OS X 10.6.8 or 10.7.4 so maybe what state you have NeoOffice in is slightly different?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Ignore my last comment. I reimplemented my fix for this bug as amayze reported some unexpected behavior when using the Command-` keys.

I think that I have fixed all deminiaturized window issues when clicking on the NeoOffice icon in the Dock. I need to still investigate why selecting a document in NeoOffice's Window menu does not deminiaturize a window, but for now if you can confirm if I have fixed the Dock bugs, that would be much appreciated:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3Beta 2 Patch 0 Test 3
pluby wrote:
I think that I have fixed all deminiaturized window issues when clicking on the NeoOffice icon in the Dock. I need to still investigate why selecting a document in NeoOffice's Window menu does not deminiaturize a window, but for now if you can confirm if I have fixed the Dock bugs, that would be much appreciated:

Oddly I see quite the opposite!

Windows are now deminaturised when selected in the Window menu (as long as it isn't the window with the tick next to it). However nothing happens if all the open windows are minimised and the NeoOffice icon is clicked in the Dock. Not even if a different application is clicked on first, as was the case with Test 2.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Windows are now deminaturised when selected in the Window menu (as long as it isn't the window with the tick next to it). However nothing happens if all the open windows are minimised and the NeoOffice icon is clicked in the Dock. Not even if a different application is clicked on first, as was the case with Test 2.

The Windows menu problem was partially fixed in the last test patch, but I still need to track down why it is failing in some cases.

As for clicking on the Dock, I found that it would work fine until I closed all of the document windows and opened new document windows. Is that what you see? If so, it appears that our 1 x 1 pixel window that we create to show menus in the menubar when there are no documents open is cuasing my fix to fail.

Additionally, I noticed another Dock bug: when you have document windows open and you right-click or Command-click on the NeoOffice Dock icon, none of the document windows are listed. This worked in NeoOffice 3.2.1 so it looks like this is another case of something breaking when we "de-Javafied" the code.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
As for clicking on the Dock, I found that it would work fine until I closed all of the document windows and opened new document windows. Is that what you see? If so, it appears that our 1 x 1 pixel window that we create to show menus in the menubar when there are no documents open is cuasing my fix to fail.

I can't get any windows to come back up when I click NeoOffice in the dock, whether they were opened on launch or subsequently, nor after I've closed them all and created new ones. Though this is on a different Mac than the one I did have it partially working on last night.

pluby wrote:
Additionally, I noticed another Dock bug: when you have document windows open and you right-click or Command-click on the NeoOffice Dock icon, none of the document windows are listed. This worked in NeoOffice 3.2.1 so it looks like this is another case of something breaking when we "de-Javafied" the code.

I see a list of files in the NeoOffice Dock menu, I've attached a picture of it. I'm not sure if these are recent files or a very wrong list of open windows. Additionally there seems to be some corruption to the document icon for the first two documents in the list of recent ones.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I can't get any windows to come back up when I click NeoOffice in the dock, whether they were opened on launch or subsequently, nor after I've closed them all and created new ones. Though this is on a different Mac than the one I did have it partially working on last night.

What types of documents and how many of each type do you have open? Also, are any windows (document or non-document) not minimized?

amayze wrote:
I see a list of files in the NeoOffice Dock menu, I've attached a picture of it. I'm not sure if these are recent files or a very wrong list of open windows. Additionally there seems to be some corruption to the document icon for the first two documents in the list of recent ones.

The missing "open document windows" list is supposed to be shown between the recent documents list and the New option.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
What types of documents and how many of each type do you have open? Also, are any windows (document or non-document) not minimized?

Generally its been three empty writer documents. All minimised with no other windows of any sort open.

I'll try again at home tonight first with Test 2 that was half working then I'll install Test 3 and see what happens. That'll be around 8-9pm for me.

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum