· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 3.3b2 crash while idle in background
3.3b2 crash while idle in background

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject:

No, I can reproduce this basically right after starting NeoOffice.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject:

OK. Since I cannot reproduce this on Mac OS 10.7.4 or 10.8, can you reinstall NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 with no test patches and see if this problem occurs on Mac OS 10.7.5?

After you test NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 with no test patches, can you reinstall the latest test patch and tell us what, if anything changes?

My hope is that NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 with no test patches works which would indicate that this is something that can be corrected in our code.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Before you reinstall NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 with no test patches, I have a test patch for you that I hope fixes the problem that you are seeing.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the empty menubar problem is fixed for you? If not, can you reinstall NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 with no test patches and see if the problem existed before any of the test patches?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

Existing install with patch: problem still present.
Reinstall without patch: problem still present.
Installed patch: problem still present.

Kind regards,
Ben
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject:

Ahh, I think I've found it! I noticed that I have the Navigator window open on my Mac where I have the problem. If I close the Navigator window, the problem goes away. So hopefully this will reproduce the problem:

- Open NeoOffice
- Open at lauch is set to none. (Don't know if this makes a difference)
- File->New->Text document
- Make sure View->Navigator is checked and visible
- Click the close button of the text document.
- Only Apple and NeoOffice menu remain.

Hope this works for you too.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject:

Do you have the iMediaBrowser floating window displayed in NeoOffice? I ask because I found one case where the empty menubar problem appears and that is when you have the iMediaBrowser window showing and you close a document window.

The iMediaBrowser window is displayed by selecting the Tools :: Add-Ons :: Show Media Browser menu so if you are unsure if you have the iMediaBrowser window open or not, select that menu and if a new window appears, then something else is the cause.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject:

No, I don't have the iMediaBrowser enabled.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject:

benst wrote:
No, I don't have the iMediaBrowser enabled.

I did not see your post about the Navigator floating window until after I posted.

I can reproduce the bug using your steps. Interestingly, it only happens on Mac OS X 10.7 and not on Mac OS X 10.6. Also, your assumption that it only occurs when the NeoOffice :: Open at Launch :: -None- is checked is correct.

I will investigate further and I will post again when I have a fix for this bug for you to test.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this empty menubar bug that you found.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the empty menubar problem is fixed for you? Also, can you tell us if you been seeing any crashes lately?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-12-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

That latest patch fixed the problem. Very Happy

I actually had a crash when I reinstalled beta 3.3 and the test-6 patch. After that patch, NeoOffice started up as it usually does, but I was clicking around in other programs (can't remember what I did unfortunately) and NeoOffice crashed. I have attached the crash log. With the latest patch there were no problems of that kind.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject:

benst wrote:
I actually had a crash when I reinstalled beta 3.3 and the test-6 patch. After that patch, NeoOffice started up as it usually does, but I was clicking around in other programs (can't remember what I did unfortunately) and NeoOffice crashed. I have attached the crash log. With the latest patch there were no problems of that kind.

OK. If any crashing reoccurs with the latest test patch, please let us know. I have been pushing out a large number of bug fixes over the last week so I will wait another 2 days to see if any new bugs or crashes are reported with the latest test patch.

If none are reported, then I will release the latest test patch code in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 1.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

Just had another crash. I was working in a sub-document (.odt) from a master document (.odm). I resized some linked images after which I saved it, and then clicked on the window of the master document. After that, NeoOffice crashed, see log. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce it.

Kind regards,
Ben
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject:

Another crash, same document, different subdocument. I closed the subdocument (a .odt) and then NeoOffice crashed.

Kind regards,
Ben
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject:

If I interpret both crashlogs correctly, I see that they appeared in the neighbourhood of /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Frameworks/iMediaBrowser.framework/iMediaBrowser. But I do not have the iMediaBrowser enabled. It's unchecked in the Tools->Add ons menu.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject:

benst wrote:
If I interpret both crashlogs correctly, I see that they appeared in the neighbourhood of /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Frameworks/iMediaBrowser.framework/iMediaBrowser. But I do not have the iMediaBrowser enabled. It's unchecked in the Tools->Add ons menu.

I looked closely through both your crash log and I don't see any iMediaBrowser code in the crash. The iMediaBrowser binary has been loaded by NeoOffice, but none of the code in that binary is executing.

What I do see in both is a crash in Mac OS X's "performSelectorOnMainThread" function. In one crash log, NeoOffice was using this to set the size of a window and in the other, NeoOffice was creating a new menu item.

Since both of these operations are called quite frequently, it is quite puzzling why Mac OS X's "performSelectorOnMainThread" function is crashing. Since you are seeing windows and menus, it is clearly working most of the time. Also, we used Mac OS X "performSelectorOnMainThread" function in NeoOffice 3.2.1 for common window and menu management functions as well so I suspect that there is something in the Mac OS X 10.7.5 developer seed build that you are running.

What I noticed in both your crash logs are "cl_kernels" lines like the following:
Code:
 0xa465000 -  0xa465ff7 +cl_kernels (??? - ???) <EF68DDD8> cl_kernels

No "cl_kernels" lines appear in any of my Mac OS X 10.7.4 crash logs. Also, your crash log has the "/usr/lib/libOpenScriptingUtil.dylib" binary which does not exist on Mac OS X 10.7.4 so it appears that the Mac OS X 10.7.5 developer seed is merging some 10.8 changes.

Based on the above, I can't rule out that the crashes aren't due to instability in the 10.7.5 developer seed that you are using. If you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application and search for "org.neooffice.NeoOffice" or "soffice.bin", are there any messages? If so, can you post them?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum