NeoOffice :: View topic - Getting document window out of the dock
Getting document window out of the dock

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I am not seeing any problem with the Command-N key when I minimize all documents. Just to make sure that I am using the same steps as you, I am doing the following steps:

Those are the exact steps that I am using. With no windows open at all it works. With only minimised windows it beeps.

pluby wrote:
I noticed that the crashing function is called by some Mac OS X accessibility functions. Do you have any accessiblity features enabled in the System Preference's Universal Access panel? If so, can you tell us if the "Enable access for assistive devices" or "Show Universal Access status in the menu bar" checkboxes are checked?

Yes, I have "Enable access for assistive devices" enabled so that I can use CheatSheet to show me keyboard shortcuts in all my applications. I don't need this application. I just installed it out of curiosity.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:

Since Mac OS X's Universal Access features seem to be the trigger for the crashing, I have reworked some pieces of our native menu handling code in an attempt to fix the crashing that you found.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the crashing still occurs for you? Also, if you are still seeing problems with the Command-N menu, can you go into the System Preference application's Universal Access panel, uncheck the "Enable access for assistive devices", relaunch NeoOffice, and tell us the Command-N menu problem still occurs?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-7-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 0 Test 7

On my home machine the Cmd-N problem seems to be resolved. I'll check my work machine tomorrow. They both have "Enable access for assistive devices" enabled.

I have found two, hopefully final, issues.

1. Open three writer windows as before
- Minimise all of them
- Type Cmd-W
- The last window to be minimised is closed (as previously discussed), this is not the issue
- The menu bar disappears leaving only the NeoOffice and Apple menus.

2. Open two writer windows
- Minimise one of them
- Close the other one
- Now select the remaining minimised window from the Window menu
- Nothing happens. In all other circumstances this un-minimises the window.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed both of the minimized window handling bugs reported in amayze's last post.

Can you install the following test patch tomorrow and tell us if the 2 bugs are fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-8-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 0 Test 8

Issue 1. the disappearing menu bar is now fixed.

Issue 2. the non un-minimising of the ticked window remains.
It also occurs with the following steps.
- Open 3 writer windows
- Minimise all of them
- Type Cmd-W
- Select the ticked window from the Window menu
- Nothing happens.

Till tomorrow and the work computer, thanks for your efforts on this Patrick.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
- Select the ticked window from the Window menu

Argh. I was clicking on the unticked window menu item.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject:

I still have the Cmd-N issue at work. This is on OS X 10.7.4. Checking through NeoOffice's menus I can't find Cmd-N shown as a shortcut anywhere, so I'm slightly surprised that it works at any point.

Looking forward to Test 9!

Thanks again, Patrick.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I still have the Cmd-N issue at work. This is on OS X 10.7.4. Checking through NeoOffice's menus I can't find Cmd-N shown as a shortcut anywhere, so I'm slightly surprised that it works at any point.

I still cannot reproduce this behavior. IIRC, your work machine has the CheatSheet haxie installed on it. If so, can you disable it by launching the System Preference application, clicking on the Universal Access icon, and unchecking the "Enable access for assistive devices" checkbox, and relaunching NeoOffice.

If the Command-N still does not appear in the menus or causes a beep, recheck that the "Enable access for assistive devices" checkbox has not been rechecked by some other application.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the bug that causes clicking of the select document menu item in the Windows menu to not do anything when the document is minimized.

Can you install the following test patch tomorrow and tell us if that bug is fixed for you? Also, if the Command-N problem still occurs for you with this test patch, please try disable the CheatSheet haxie on your machine using the steps in my last post and tell us if the problem still occurs after CheatSheet has been disabled:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-9-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 0 Test 9 at home.

pluby wrote:
I think that I have fixed the bug that causes clicking of the select document menu item in the Windows menu to not do anything when the document is minimized.

This is indeed fixed for me.

Cmd-N continues to work on this machine. It is visible next to whatever I last created or opened a new one of in the the File::New menu and works whatever steps I precede it with. Changing the setting of "Enable access for assistive devices" has no effect on it.

I will have another think on Monday as to what else I might have installed on my Mac at work that is interfering with it.

The Haxie CheatSheet no longer works with Test 8 or Test 9. Instead holding down Cmd causes CheatSheet to crash. It works in other applications such as Safari, Postbox and Activity Monitor. I realise that this is not necessarily a NeoOffice problem, but mention it just in case recent changes have affected what NeoOffice sends to assistive devices - I have no understanding of this mechanism at all!!

Thanks again for tracking down all the minimising bugs.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
The Haxie CheatSheet no longer works with Test 8 or Test 9. Instead holding down Cmd causes CheatSheet to crash. It works in other applications such as Safari, Postbox and Activity Monitor. I realise that this is not necessarily a NeoOffice problem, but mention it just in case recent changes have affected what NeoOffice sends to assistive devices - I have no understanding of this mechanism at all!!

We normally don't change NeoOffice code for haxies, but I realized that CheatSheet is not a haxie. It uses the standard Mac OS X accessibility features to send actions to other applications and I found that, from NeoOffice's perspective, it really is no different than Mac OS X's VoiceOver feature.

What I found is that is that CheatSheet requests Mac OS X to return a list o of all menu items in NeoOffice. Mac OS X's accessibility manager then fetches that information to simulating opening all of NeoOffice's menus. That simulation triggers are code that asks the OpenOffice.org code update any menus and/or menu items in the menubar.

From what I could see, the simulation triggers this OpenOffice.org menubar update code repeatedly which causes NeoOffice to become unresponsive for a few seconds so in the following test patch, I moved our code that calls the OpenOffice.org menubar update code and, after some trial and error, that update code now occurs only once instead of dozens of times when Mac OS X simulates opening all of the menus.

I don't know if this will fix the Command-N problem that you are seeing, but it does stop CheatSheet from crashing. I assume that Mac OS X was not responding to CheatSheet's request fast enough and CheatSheet does not handle whatever Mac OS X's accessibility functions are returning. But, of course, CheatSheet's bugs are their own to investigate so this is just a theory not backed by any real data.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if NeoOffice is no longer unresponsive when CheatSheet is running and you press the Command key for a few seconds? Also, is there any change in the Command-N problem that you have been seeing?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-10-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3 Beta Patch 0 Test 10 at home.

It fixes the crashing problem with CheatSheet which now works as expected with NeoOffice.

I'm at work tomorrow so I'll check the Cmd-N issue then.

Thanks again.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I'm at work tomorrow so I'll check the Cmd-N issue then.

FYI. There is a new test patch that affects how keyboard shortcuts are processed. The changes I made are described in this forum post.

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-11-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 0 Test 11 at work

It too resolves the problems with CheatSheet.

I'm going to start a new thread about Cmd-N as it has nothing to do with the minimising issues that this thread started out to solve, and which would all appear to be fixed now.

Hope that's ok.

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fixes in the previous test patches in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 1 which you can download from the NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum