Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Using Mail Merge on a old Word Doc
Using Mail Merge on a old Word Doc

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWeldon
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Using Mail Merge on a old Word Doc

I have a word doc that I want to add mail merges into (since the previous mailmerge from word did not tranfer over). BUT im having the hardest time adding it to this doc. Can anyone help...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject:

This particular forums is for reporting bugs and/or problems in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 that did not occur in NeoOffice 3.2.1.

Since you say that you are coming from Microsoft Word, your post appears to be a request for a tutorial on using NeoOffice's mail merge features so the only help I can provide is a link to this third-party mail merge tutorial here.

This tutorial is for OpenOffice.org, but all versions of NeoOffice are based on OpenOffice.org.

Hope that helps.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject:

There's also this guide in the NeoWiki. It's a few years old, but I think the basics are still the same (it's been 6+ months since I've done a mail merge, so I'd have to spend some time checking).

In particular, since you're updating an existing document, the "DIY Form Letters" section is probably useful.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject:

One other recommendation that I have is to focus on finding where Word stored your list of data to merge. Like how NeoOffice has separate "data sources" that you use for your template document, your Word template document got the data to merge from somewhere.

If Word was drawing the data from your Mac OS X address book, then the tutorial that I linked to should work as NeoOffice can merge documents using the Mac OS X address book. However, if you copied your Word document over from a Windows machine or an older Mac OS X machine, you will likely need to search your old machine for where Word stored your data to merge.

Patrick
JWeldon
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Mail Merge

I followed all the steps that the wiki had and just decided to do a new Mail Merge-Neo office that I found deom "General McLane School District" and it asked for me to create a new database, which i did.. Now its saying that the "field ' already exists" ...

We use mail merge to write out leases so the fields are based on tenant information. Do you think i need to just create a whole new doc in NEO and conduct the merge that way?

I attached a print screen
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mail Merge

JWeldon wrote:
We use mail merge to write out leases so the fields are based on tenant information. Do you think i need to just create a whole new doc in NEO and conduct the merge that way?

We cannot give you such advice as we do not know your data nor is this our services geared to suggesting solutions.

JWeldon wrote:
I attached a print screen

I really don't know what we are supposed to see in your screen snapshot as it only shows the standard "Create table" of the Base Table Wizard dialog.

To be honest, I really don't think we can provide the type of service that you need. I think you need a solutions expert and, due to our very limited engineering staff, we only are able to fix specific bugs that our users can provide reproducible steps for. The "specific bugs" that we can fix is generally limited to things like NeoOffice behaves differently than OpenOffice.org after a certain set of up steps or NeoOffice crashes or hangs after a certain set of stops.

Since I assume that that you paid in the hope that we could provide more services that we aren't able to provide, we can give you a refund of your payment.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum