Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Missing icons & odd scroll buttons
Missing icons & odd scroll buttons

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Missing icons & odd scroll buttons

In playing around with adding a macro to the toolbar I noticed that there seem to be some missing icons. They show up in the Tools::Customise…::Toolbars::Modify::Change Icon… as uno.IconName.

One is shown in the screen shot I attach.

They are:
uno.ChangeCaseToLower
uno.ChangeDatabaseField
uno.ChangeCaseToUpper

Also, the scroll buttons suffer from the "Cheap Whore Effect", ie after repeated clicking they gain a dark outline.

In OpenOffice there are tall thin scroll buttons, in NeoOffice they are tiny. Is it possible to add a more normal scroll bar and buttons to this window?

Cheers,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing icons & odd scroll buttons

amayze wrote:
In playing around with adding a macro to the toolbar I noticed that there seem to be some missing icons. They show up in the Tools::Customise…::Toolbars::Modify::Change Icon… as uno.IconName.

This means that there are no icons available for those actions so NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code displays the action name.

Novell's Go-oo engineers added those actions but, like me, those engineers are not graphic designers so no icons exist in the various icon sets for those actions so this is something that that is not feasible to change.

amayze wrote:
Also, the scroll buttons suffer from the "Cheap Whore Effect", ie after repeated clicking they gain a dark outline.

I will see if our native spinner code can be safely changed to force repainting of its background after clicking. However, since this is only an aesthetic issue, it will have a very low priority.

amayze wrote:
In OpenOffice there are tall thin scroll buttons, in NeoOffice they are tiny. Is it possible to add a more normal scroll bar and buttons to this window?

No. NeoOffice uses native controls and the Mac OS X spinner control is not sizeable. Apple draws it in one size only.

While you may like the fake Windows-like control that OpenOffice.org draws, Ed and I worked extremely hard to get native Mac OS X controls to work within OpenOffice.org and we do not have the engineering resources to hunt down and change every button, spinner, or other control that people find aesthetically imperfect.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing icons & odd scroll buttons

pluby wrote:
Novell's Go-oo engineers added those actions but, like me, those engineers are not graphic designers so no icons exist in the various icon sets for those actions so this is something that that is not feasible to change.

To clarify, it is not feasible for Ed or I to fix this. However, if the volunteers who created the NeoOffice icons have the time and desire to create such icons in their next icon release, we will include their icons in the next official NeoOffice release.

But I would not hold out too much hope as that the icons creators will be able to create the missing 3 Go-oo icons as there has already been requests for the icon creators to create 64 x 64 pixel versions for all of the icons to support Retina displays but none of the icon creators has said that that project is feasible.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing icons & odd scroll buttons

pluby wrote:
However, if the volunteers who created the NeoOffice icons have the time and desire to create such icons in their next icon release, we will include their icons in the next official NeoOffice release.

I'm willing to take a look at this. Can someone explain what uno.ChangeDatabaseField does? The other two are self-explanatory. Also, how would I discover the icon file names?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing icons & odd scroll buttons

djpimley wrote:
I'm willing to take a look at this. Can someone explain what uno.ChangeDatabaseField does? The other two are self-explanatory. Also, how would I discover the icon file names?

Attached is a screen snapshot of the LibreOffice 3.3.4 icon for that.

As for where or how the OpenOffice.org maps uno.* names to icon filenames, I do not know.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I found where all 3 images are and all 3 have small 16 x 16 pixel versions already in NeoOffice's images.zip. So, when you set the icon size to "Small" in the Tools :: Options menu dialog's NeoOffice :: View panel, all 3 images will appear and only large versions of the icons are missing.

Here is the list of the 16 x 16 image file that exist in NeoOffice's images.zip:
Code:
res/commandimagelist/sc_changecasetolower.png
res/commandimagelist/sch_changecasetolower.png
res/commandimagelist/sc_changedatabasefield.png
res/commandimagelist/sch_changedatabasefield.png
res/commandimagelist/sc_changecasetoupper.png
res/commandimagelist/sch_changecasetoupper.png

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Patrick, that's a big help. I'm out of town for a few days so I will take a look at this on my return. I'm sure I can sort out those missing icons.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Missing icons & odd scroll buttons

pluby wrote:
amayze wrote:

I will see if our native spinner code can be safely changed to force repainting of its background after clicking. However, since this is only an aesthetic issue, it will have a very low priority.

Fair enough. It's not exactly a dialogue that gets used everyday!

pluby wrote:
While you may like the fake Windows-like control that OpenOffice.org draws, Ed and I worked extremely hard to get native Mac OS X controls to work within OpenOffice.org and we do not have the engineering resources to hunt down and change every button, spinner, or other control that people find aesthetically imperfect.

Patrick

As it happens I don't like what OpenOffice.org does either. Since it's a scrolling list of icons it would seem more logical that it had a scroll bar and you could scroll up and down by a line at a time rather than page by page.

That said however, I do appreciate that fixing OpenOffice.org's designers sometimes esoteric choice of interface design is far from being within the scope of the NeoOffice project.

Your and Ed's work on making NeoOffice a Mac OS X application is very much appreciated, here at least!

Cheers,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Missing icons & odd scroll buttons

djpimley wrote:
Thanks, Patrick, that's a big help. I'm out of town for a few days so I will take a look at this on my return. I'm sure I can sort out those missing icons.

Thanks and no hurry. Our plan is to not release NeoOffice 3.3 until there are 2 or 3 weeks of no new crashing, hanging, or de-Javafication bug reports. So, if you can provide a new package by 20 August, I can include any of your icon changes in the NeoOffice 3.3 release.

amayze wrote:
As it happens I don't like what OpenOffice.org does either. Since it's a scrolling list of icons it would seem more logical that it had a scroll bar and you could scroll up and down by a line at a time rather than page by page.

I think that I have fixed the bug that causes the native spin buttons control border to get darker after each click in the following test patch. I found that the OpenOffice.org code has a piece of code that ignores the spin buttons code that most of OpenOffice.org uses and just invokes the "redraw spin buttons" code so I added code in this case that queries the size of the native spin buttons and redraws the background color that OpenOffice.org has set before letting it redraw the spin buttons:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-1-Test-1-Intel.dmg

This dialog will still look odd given that the OpenOffice.org engineers decided to write their own custom spin buttons for that dialog. But after working with the OpenOffice.org code over the last 10 years, I am still surprised by the amount of "needlessly creative" changes that the OpenOffice.org engineers made.

I still remember the pain for our users and the work that we had to do as a result of their needless reinvention of file locking and that is just one of many incidents that reminds Ed and I of why we don't try fixing OpenOffice.org's numerous features and layout bugs: it is a herculean task that would leave no time for keeping up with Apple's now yearly Mac OS X changes.

Frankly, I believe that OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice work on Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion only due to some last minute policy decisions by Apple. If Apple had not decided to remove the Gatekeeper restrictions on drag-and-drop installers, most users would have found both to be uninstallable without disabling Gatekeeper.

This is why fixing OpenOffice.org's features and layout is something that we will not take on: we don't like to rely on Apple bailing us out at the last minute. Instead, we prefer to play it safe and assume that Apple's increasing security requirements for Mac App Store apps will soon be required for directly installed application like NeoOffice. Given Apple's new yearly Mac OS X release cycle, we need to be prepared for the possibility that Apple require applications like NeoOffice to be sandboxed and sandboxing is not a trivial task. Like the de-Javafication project, it will require months of work with the end result that NeoOffice behaves the same as it did before.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Missing icons & odd scroll buttons

pluby wrote:
I think that I have fixed the bug that causes the native spin buttons control border to get darker after each click in the following test patch. I found that the OpenOffice.org code has a piece of code that ignores the spin buttons code that most of OpenOffice.org uses and just invokes the "redraw spin buttons" code so I added code in this case that queries the size of the native spin buttons and redraws the background color that OpenOffice.org has set before letting it redraw the spin buttons:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-1-Test-1-Intel.dmg

I can confirm that this patch fixes the redraw problem with the spin buttons in the Change Icon window.

Andy
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject:

Ive uploaded a new Aqua Elements package with these icons added:

http://www.pimley.net/projects/downloads/NeoOfficeAquaElements.zip
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject:

Thank you for adding the 3 new large icons to the icon package. I have added the icon package in our code repository and rebuilt the NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 installer to verify that the icons appear correctly.

Unfortunately, I am unable to put these new icons in a test patch but I will include them in our upcoming NeoOffice 3.3 release.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject:

I forgot to mention that these new icons are included in NeoOffice 3.3. Can you confirm that the missing 3 icons problem is fixed on your machine?

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject:

And I checked as soon as 3.3 was released and forgot to post here too!

Yes the icons are all there now.

Thanks Patrick and djpimley (or "dpi levy" as auto correct wants to call you!)

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum