Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - display live word count in status bar
display live word count in status bar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

add a live word count display to status bar in Writer?
yes please, current word count AND optional words-remaining countdown to a user-entered target
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
yes please, current word count ONLY
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
no, neither
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Why word count

SteveRead wrote:
As for the LibreOffice word count extension. It doesn't require a hot key. It gets added as a menu command and if you select the menu command it puts up a little window with a live word count.

...but you can't type and show that window at the same time, so it's not really "live". You have to keep bringing it up and then sending it away again, which is why I assigned a hotkey to it - so it's quicker to bring it up without going to the mouse to get to the menu etc. If I'm typing, I prefer to be able to access things through the keyboard.
vj1726a
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why word count

yoxi wrote:
SteveRead wrote:
As for the LibreOffice word count extension. It doesn't require a hot key. It gets added as a menu command and if you select the menu command it puts up a little window with a live word count.

...but you can't type and show that window at the same time, so it's not really "live". You have to keep bringing it up and then sending it away again, which is why I assigned a hotkey to it - so it's quicker to bring it up without going to the mouse to get to the menu etc. If I'm typing, I prefer to be able to access things through the keyboard.

Thanks for explaining, you've saved me a lot of time trying to install that extension. (Too clunky for my tastes, don't like separate windows.)

Apple Pages does it really nicely -- word count is updated in the status bar next to page count. Microsoft Word same. Lots of room in the status bar and most word processors have this on by default with both word and page count. OO and offshoots are the exception.
SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Live word count

Actually, it puts a floating window in front of the document, so you get a live count. HOWEVER, it seems pretty flaky. It either doesn't inititialize sometimes or it freezes Neo Office. This is with 3.2.1. Maybe it behaves better with newer versions of NeoOffice.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject:

In 3.3 it just sits there as the top window, and there's no way to get to any other open windows until you close the wordcount one.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
In 3.3 it just sits there as the top window, and there's no way to get to any other open windows until you close the wordcount one.

It appears that that extension causes OpenOffice.org to load Java and that, in turn, is causing NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code to deadlock in its "update Java user preferences" code.

That looks like a real hanging bug to me and since we consider hanging bugs to be critical bugs, I will look at the OpenOffice.org code and see if I can find a way to stop the deadlocking.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:

Cool, thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the deadlock that occurs in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code when running some Python-based OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice extensions.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if you see an hanging when using the LibreOffice WordCount extension or when quitting after using it?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: test patch

I installed the patch and then used the Instant word count extension for a while as I worked on a 1200 word long review. It seemed to work well and I didn't get any freezing either while working on the paper or when I quite NeoOffice.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: test patch

SteveRead wrote:
I installed the patch and then used the Instant word count extension for a while as I worked on a 1200 word long review. It seemed to work well and I didn't get any freezing either while working on the paper or when I quite NeoOffice.

OK. I have also backported the fix for the hanging bug into the NeoOffice 3.2.1 code and I will put out a test patch in the next day for that NeoOffice 3.2.1 version.

Patrick
SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Spoke too soon

I just went back to work on that document and when I opened Instant word count it froze NeoOffice.

Also, I realized that having the word count window open seems to make text selection flaky. I was editing a 2 page document in Print Layout mode and was trying to use the cursor to select text. When I crossed page boundaries moving from page 2 to page 1, the text on page 2 was unselected. It also seemed that selecting text within a page was a bit jumpy. But when I closed NEO and then went back and opened the document without word count, now when I tried selecting text, it behaved itself.

Okay, so I just re opened NEO, the file and word count again. No freezing. But selecting text is still flaky.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spoke too soon

If NeoOffice hangs again, can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application and obtain a sample of the NeoOffice application? A sample will hopefully tell me what OpenOffice.org deadlock I missed in the last test patch.

Instructions for obtaining a sample are in this NeoWiki article.

SteveRead wrote:
Okay, so I just re opened NEO, the file and word count again. No freezing. But selecting text is still flaky.

When debugging the OpenOffice.org deadlocking bug, I found that the LibreOffice WordCount extension keeps try to set focus to the word count window. I don't know why the extension keeps trying to change the active window (maybe to workaround some LibreOffice behavior on Windows?), but that is the extension's bug to fix, not ours.

Edit by pluby: I forgot to add that while I could not reproduce this unhighlighting behavior once I disabled all third-party extensions so to me it is an extension bug. But if you find that this problem still occurs with all such extensions disabled, then post a new topic for it in the NeoOffice Beta Support forum.

Patrick
SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Word count

I only had this highlighting problem when the instant word count window was actually open.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject:

FYI. I now have a the fix for the deadlock that occurs in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code when running some Python-based OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice extensions backported to NeoOffice 3.2.1 so below is an updated list of test patches.

If any hanging still occurs with either test patch while using a Python-based extension, please launch the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application and obtain a sample of the NeoOffice application. Instructions for obtaining a sample are in this NeoWiki article.

NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.2.1:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-7-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I had a little bit if extra time last weekend and so I took a look at LibreOffice's "word count in status bar" code. I found that only a small amount of code needed to be backported to implement showing word count the Writer status bar due to the fact that the LibreOffice engineers were able to implement this future by using the existing OpenOffice.org code that counts word for the Tools :: Word Count dialog.

So, I went ahead and backported the LibreOffice 3.6 code for displaying the word count in the Writer status bar in the following test patch. Also, double-clicking on this new status bar element will display the word count dialog that contains other data like character count and selected word and character count.

Can anyone install the test patch and confirm that the word count is displayed in the Writer status bar and that the word count increases or decreases as you edit a Writer document?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-4-Test-11-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 4 Test 11.

With a very quick test with a couple of pages of text it seems to behave as advertised. I don't have any longer documents to try it on here. I'll hunt some out tonight, or maybe someone else will beat me to it.

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3