· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Feature Comparison update, 2012 edition
Feature Comparison update, 2012 edition

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Feature Comparison update, 2012 edition

For various reasons, we haven't really updated the Feature Comparison page in the wiki since NeoOffice 3. Lots of things have happened since then, including the demise of Sun and OpenOffice.org, rise of LibreOffice, two major Mac OS X versions (and attendant new features), and so forth. (Also, since the time we initially started these comparisons, Apple has introduced iWork as an office suite.)

I've *started* to update the Feature Comparison page for NeoOffice 3.3. I've made it through the initial section of the table.

Right now it seems like Apache OpenOffice is just sitting there (releasing a rebranded version of the last OpenOffice.org release), while LibreOffice is continuing to develop the codebase, add new features, and so forth, as well as being the descendant of ooo-build/Go-OO, whose branch/fork of the codebase NeoOffice has used in the past. So I've also replaced OpenOffice.org with LibreOffice; if IBM's Apache OpenOffice starts to make traction in the future, I think we can reconsider that which one to use, but for now I think people are more likely to compare NeoOffice to LibreOffice. (Also, it's certainly possible to include both, but given the extensive list of items on the feature comparison page and the continued divergence between AOO and LibO, and our time/resource constraints, I'd rather not check both.)

Is there anyone here with Office 2011? We last compared NeoOffice to Office 2008, but we need to update all of the items for the current Office version.

Finally, if anyone has the latest iWork and is willing to supply the information, I think it's reasonable to include iWork in the comparison these days.

I'll continue to work through the rest of the table in the coming days, but anyone who has the time/ability to help is welcome to do so.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject:

I have Office 2011 (and I like it much more than 2008), but I will have to see how much info I can coax from it..
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I have Office 2011 (and I like it much more than 2008), but I will have to see how much info I can coax from it..

For starters, can you see if they're a 64-bit apps? That's the one thing in the first otherwise-completed section I don't know about, and I couldn't readily find info on MS's website.

Activity Monitor's "Kind" column should tell you if they're 32-bit or 64-bit (on 10.5, 32-bit processes are "Intel" and 64-bit processes are "Intel (64-bit)", but I can imagine on 10.6+ Apple might have swapped the language; you can verify by seeing how NeoOffice is listed).

Thanks!
Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
For starters, can you see if they're a 64-bit apps?

I am on 10.6 and the language seems to be the same. Lots of 64-bits for system stuff, but NeoOffice and MS Office apps both get just "Intel"

Best wishes,
Oscar

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject:

I was looking through the section and one of the NeoOffice X's is the Mac OS X accessibility framework. Is that still true?

Best wishes,
Oscar

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject:

I checked a couple of things and added them to the page.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I am on 10.6 and the language seems to be the same. Lots of 64-bits for system stuff, but NeoOffice and MS Office apps both get just "Intel" r

NeoOffice is a 32 bit application so that confirms the MS Office is as well.

ovvldc wrote:
I was looking through the section and one of the NeoOffice X's is the Mac OS X accessibility framework. Is that still true?

Yes. That is still true. NeoOffice only provides accessibility to menus and windows and provides no accessibility for the OpenOffice.org toolbars, buttons, document objects, etc. within a window.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

Yes. That is still true. NeoOffice only provides accessibility to menus and windows and provides no accessibility for the OpenOffice.org toolbars, buttons, document objects, etc. within a window.

Shouldn't it be listed as 'Partial' then?

-Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Shouldn't it be listed as 'Partial' then?

I would vote for putting "no" or "minimal" or something like that as we aren't providing any useful information other than "window X is active" and "opening menu X".

If you press Command-F5 to turn on VoiceOver, you will see how limited our accessibility is. You only hear information about the active window name and titlebar buttons or about the active menu in the menubar. The objects within each window are totally non-existent as far as accessibility is concerned so there really is no way use accessibility to navigate within NeoOffice's windows.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject:

I'm with Patrick; the current support is not very useful in most cases since it can't get at the document/window contents. I had thought about putting an asterisk next to the No and indicating the couple things that do work.

Oscar: regarding MS Office services support, did you have, say, text selected in Word when you accessed the Services menu? Starting in 10.6, Apple changed how the Services menu worked, and it will only display Services that can act on the current context (as opposed to displaying all Services and greying out the ones that don't work). If no text is selected, none of the Services that act on text will show up. It's still possible that Office doesn't support any type of Services, but I wanted to make sure you were providing the correct conditions for testing…

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject:

In word, with text selected, some services show up. I had tired in Excel with selecting things, but that didn't show much.

Will you fix the description or should I?

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
In word, with text selected, some services show up. I had tired in Excel with selecting things, but that didn't show much.

Will you fix the description or should I?

Why don't you; you'll have a better idea of the true state of things. I think I would probably change the N to Y, too, since some Services work in certain programs (like in NeoOffice, where only read-only Services work and we're using Y plus a caveat/description).

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
....(like in NeoOffice, where only read-only Services work and we're using Y plus a caveat/description).

This is no longer true. I cannot remember if I added it in NeoOffice 3.2 or 3.2.1, but NeoOffice 3.2.1 and 3.3 both support writable Services.

I periodically test that feature using the "Convert Simplified/Traditional Chinese Text" service after typing 中国 (typed as "zhongguo" in the Simplied Pinyin input method), selecting the text, and selecting the NeoOffice :: Services :: Convert Simplified Chinese Text. The selected text should change to 中國 (note that the second character "guo" is more complex).

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I cannot remember if I added it in NeoOffice 3.2 or 3.2.1, but NeoOffice 3.2.1 and 3.3 both support writable Services.

Oh, nice Smile

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject:

OK. So everyone gets a happy green Y and we're done here? Wink
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2