NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc: Paste Special
Calc: Paste Special

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefan
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Dear Patrick,

it looks like we still stick with 6 only out of the required 12 votes. So, a shy question: if I'd be donating an additional 100$, would that count as a couple of additional votes, too?

Stefan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Stefan wrote:
it looks like we still stick with 6 only out of the required 12 votes. So, a shy question: if I'd be donating an additional 100$, would that count as a couple of additional votes, too?

The short answer is no. The reason is because an extra $100 payment does not remove the key constraint required to implement new features: limited engineering resources.

I am the only dedicated engineer on NeoOffice project so there is an absolute limit on the amount of NeoOffice engineering and support work we can do. While Ed is available, he has a full-time job so he is available only a few hours per week.

Because there is really only one engineer (me), we must constantly prioritize our work. This is why we require a minimum number of votes for new features: to ensure that don't promise more engineering work than we can feasibly do.

Our primary concerns are that NeoOffice is stable and works on current versions of Mac OS X. This may not sound like much work, but Apple has been making significant changes to Mac OS X so over the last few years we have been spending at least 2/3 of our available time on keeping up with the changes in the latest version of Mac OS X (we have already begun work preparing for the next wave of Mac OS X changes. The remaining 1/3 gets mostly consumed by fixing critical bugs reported by $100 users and dealing with our maintaining our IT infrastructure and administrative tasks.

Only after the above work has been taken care is there time for implementing new features. The minimum number of votes only covers a small fraction of the costs. Instead, the number of votes is to help us avoid spending the small amount of remaining engineering time on a feature that only a handful of people will use instead of a feature that a large percentage of users will use.

Even once we get the required votes for a new feature, fixing critical bugs reported by our $100 users and preparing for the next version of Mac OS X still take priority. Only when the queue of that work is clear do we start implementing a feature that has garnered the minimum votes.

Patrick
Stefan
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Ok, got it! So I will just keep hoping that some more people think that this feature would be really useful and therefore worth for your efforts!

Thanks!

Stefan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Stefan wrote:
Ok, got it! So I will just keep hoping that some more people think that this feature would be really useful and therefore worth for your efforts!

Also, if you interact with other NeoOffice users you can also lobby other users who have paid US$25 or more in the last year to vote for this feature.

As a general rule, almost every new feature request gets 5 or 6 votes from our moderators (they generally vote for all new feature requests) and then none or maybe 1 or 2 other users vote. So, lobbying outside of our forums probably cannot hurt and might possibly help elevate one or two new feature requests above the other requests that have fallen short on votes.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject:

I have some good news: while removing this Calc limitation, I found the OpenOffice.org code that sets all of the checkboxes and radio buttons in Calc's Paste Special dialog and I found that I only needed to load and save 5 existing variables into a user preference file.

Since much less work than I expected was needed to implement this new feature request, I implemented the loading and saving code in the following test patch. Can anyone test that the Paste Special dialog's settings are saved after quitting and relaunching NeoOffice?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject:

It works for me. Thanks so much, Patrick!

Lorinda
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Works here too. Thanks.

An aside:
NeoOffice (or possibly Mac OS X) appears to forget that it has spreadsheet data in the clipboard if you quit and restart NeoOffice. i.e.:
1. Enter some data in a spreadsheet.
2. Select one or more cells and press Cmd-C
3. Select Edit->Paste Special
4. The spreadsheet paste special window opens.
5. Quit and re-launch NeoOffice
6. In a new Spreadsheet select Edit->Paste Special
7. The standard Writer Paste Special window opens.
8. Click OK
9. The text and formatting copied in 2. above are pasted, but not any formulae.

I realise this may be a feature of how the Mac OS clipboard works, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
NeoOffice (or possibly Mac OS X) appears to forget that it has spreadsheet data in the clipboard if you quit and restart NeoOffice. i.e.:

This is not new behavior and what you describe is a common misunderstanding of how copy and paste works on Mac OS X. I know that I have posted an explanation somewhere on this site, but I can't remember where so I'll explain how this works here.

The Mac OS X system pasteboard only supports very common data formats like plain text, RTF text, HTML, and a few common image formats. The idea is that applications should only push data formats to the system pasteboard that most other applications can import.

There is no common standard format for spreadsheet cells so custom application data formats like spreadsheet cells are never pushed to the system pasteboard. Instead, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code holds the custom data format in memory and when you paste or paste special, our code uses that custom data if it exists but since that custom data is only in memory, it disappears when you quit NeoOffice and only the common (lower quality) data formats in the system pasteboard are available after relaunching.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought something like that might be the case.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included this new features in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 4.

You can download the patch from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again for this feature. I use it every week, and really appreciate the improvement!
Stefan
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Amazing!!

Thanks so much!! Works wonderfully!!!

Stefan
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2