Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 10.7 NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3 or 4 Network Homes Fails to Start
10.7 NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3 or 4 Network Homes Fails to Start

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: 10.7 NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3 or 4 Network Homes Fails to Start

I have a whole bunch of MacMini 2,1 machines with 10.7.5(11G63), 4GB Ram. They mount a home directory off of an XServe running Mac OS X Server 10.5.8(9L34) and authenticate using LDAP.

If I run NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 0 it starts and runs just fine for the local workstation administrator, a local standard account, and a network user account.

If I run NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3 or 4 it starts and runs just fine for the local workstation admin, and local standard account. However it will start and stop in a matter of a couple seconds on a network user account. Nothing is logged, no crash reports are created, and if you try and start soffice and soffice.bin directly from terminal nothing shows up.

On 3.3 Patch 0 All users can run unopkg gui just fin, however on 3.3 Patch 3 & 4 it exits with an "Abort 6" for the network user and creates the attached crash reports, but works for the local users.

On 3.3 Patch 3 or 4 if you delete the network users Preferences for NeoOffice it will recreate the directory then die while logging an error "1/24/13 11:30:14.214 AM [0x0-0x74074].org.neooffice.NeoOffice: terminate called throwing an exception
1/24/13 11:30:14.235 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.XXXX: ([0x0-0x74074].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[2425]) Exited with code: 78" but will not create a crash report.

As an aside note we are also trying NeoOffice 3.2.1 on these 10.7 testing machines and our production 10.5 workstations and sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes to start but I should prob open another entry for that.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 10.7 NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3 or 4 Network Homes Fails to S

AHBLawyers wrote:
If I run NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3 or 4 it starts and runs just fine for the local workstation admin, and local standard account. However it will start and stop in a matter of a couple seconds on a network user account. Nothing is logged, no crash reports are created, and if you try and start soffice and soffice.bin directly from terminal nothing shows up.

My initial guess is that NeoOffice is having trouble finding or writing into the network users' ~/Library/Preferences folders. In Patch 3 I had replaced our code for finding the user's Home folder as we were using Mac OS X functions that Apple marked as deprecated.

Can you login as a network user, open the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal command, paste the following commands into the Terminal window, and post the output?:

Code:
env
df -k
ls -ld ~

AHBLawyers wrote:
As an aside note we are also trying NeoOffice 3.2.1 on these 10.7 testing machines and our production 10.5 workstations and sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes to start but I should prob open another entry for that.

Does this occur for user's with local Home folders? If not, then most likely the problem is that reading and writing to network users' ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0 folder is encountering some bottlenecks in your network or with your file server.

NeoOffice does a lot of reading and writing to that folder and with each read and write, NeoOffice acquires a native file lock so my initial guess is that your file server is frequently causing NeoOffice to wait for the file server to return a file handle or a lock on the file.

Is your file server configured to show as an AFP file system on your Mac OS X 10.5 machine? If so, you might want to see if there are any configurable file locking parameters on your file server that you can tuned to allow a high number of concurrent open files and file locks for each user.

Patrick
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 10.7 NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3 or 4 Network Homes Fails to S

Here is the output:
"Last login: Thu Jan 24 12:20:40 on ttys000
mm50:~ XXXXX$ env
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM=xterm-256color
SHELL=/bin/bash
TMPDIR=/var/folders/3h/35vqfwbs1qs441yrt4h77j0w000101/T/
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-SkEmkr/Render
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=303.2
TERM_SESSION_ID=C57D64E6-913A-476D-9F35-3C7862471745
USER=XXXXX
COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-OGUC2x/Listeners
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x401:0:0
Apple_Ubiquity_Message=/tmp/launch-MXNVW5/Apple_Ubiquity_Message
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
PWD=/Network/Servers/enterprise.ZZZZZZZZZZ.YYY/Volumes/Shared/Users/XXXXX
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Network/Servers/enterprise.ZZZZZZZZZZ.YYY/Volumes/Shared/Users/XXXXX
LOGNAME=XXXXX
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-GIbwgJ/org.x:0
_=/usr/bin/env
mm50:~ XXXXX$ df -k
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 77814832 12067908 65490924 16% /
devfs 109 109 0 100% /dev
map -hosts 0 0 0 100% /net
map auto_home 0 0 0 100% /home
map -fstab 0 0 0 100% /Network/Servers
afp_4sgGre000gxY0000oM0000VU-1.2e000004 976426656 554283428 422143228 57% /Network/Servers/enterprise.ZZZZZZZZZZ.YYY/Volumes/Shared/Users
afp_4sgGre000gxY0000oM0000VU-1.2e000005 976426656 554283428 422143228 57% /Volumes/Office-Files
mm50:~ XXXXX$ ls -ld ~
drwxr-xr-x@ 1 XXXXX staff 772 Jan 22 11:39 /Network/Servers/enterprise.ZZZZZZZZZZ.YYY/Volumes/Shared/Users/XXXXX
mm50:~ XXXXX$"

If I delete the users NeoOffice-3 folder it will recreate the whole thing then crash.

As far as 3.2.1, it also does that for Local users also on both 10.5.8 and 10.7.5. Here is attached a sample from NeoOffice starting as a workstation admin local user on a 10.5.8 machine. I started it at 14:22:39, took the sample around 14:27, it finally showed the window at 14:28:13. These machines are all up to date.
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Forgot, sorry

Yes the workstations are automounting an AFP share for the home directories from our 10.5.8 OS X Server.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject:

The user's home folder path looks normal and since you are seeing the ~/Library/NeoOffice-3.0 folder get recreated, NeoOffice is definitely able to find and write to that folder so my original guess is definitely not the cause of the problem.

Do you have third party anti-virus software installed on any of these machines? I ask because I noticed that in your NeoOffice 3.2.1 samples, NeoOffice is blocked trying to load (read) Mac OS X's Java files and I recall seeing crashing and/or extremely slow loading of Java in some posts a couple of years ago. In those cases, the cause was found to be anti-virus software scanning all of Mac OS X's Java files before allowing NeoOffice to read those files.

Patrick
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject:

We just bought a 30 version license of Sophos 8
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject:

AHBLawyers wrote:
We just bought a 30 version license of Sophos 8

Since anti-virus software generally works by modifying Mac OS X so that any file open, read, and write calls are intercepted by the anti-virus software, can you disable Sophos 8 on a machine, reboot, and tell us if either the NeoOffice 3.3 crashing or the slow launching of NeoOffice 3.2.1 stop?

Patrick
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Damit man you're a genius

On the 3.2.1 slowness excluding /Library/Java cleared it up.

For 3.3 Patch 4 I tried also excluding ~/Library and /Applications/NeoOffice.app but those versions still don't want to start. Sad I also tried shutting off on-access scanning but that didn't help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Damit man you're a genius

AHBLawyers wrote:
On the 3.2.1 slowness excluding /Library/Java cleared it up.

That is good to hear that this was a simple anti-virus configuration issue.

AHBLawyers wrote:
For 3.3 Patch 4 I tried also excluding ~/Library and /Applications/NeoOffice.app but those versions still don't want to start. Sad I also tried shutting off on-access scanning but that didn't help.

I think I know what might be causing this: at startup, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code creates a special file. This file is a Unix domain socket file and if it fails to get created, it will crash NeoOffice.

In Patch 3, we moved the location of this file from the /var/tmp folder into the user's home directory and I suspect that Unix domain socket files cannot be created on mounted volumes.

To test if this is the cause, can you invoke the following command in a Terminal window for a user that has a networked Home folder? If you get "ls: No mach." then that means that my guess is correct and I'll have to find an alternate location to place this file if the user's Home folder is mounted:

Code:
ls ~/.OSL_PIPE_501_SingleNeoOfficeIPC_*

Patrick
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Sorry

No match. Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry

AHBLawyers wrote:
No match. Sad

OK. Can you install the following debug patch and tell us if NeoOffice 3.3 launches without crashing? This debug patch reverts to the pre-Patch 3 behavior of creating the Unix domain socket file in the /var/tmp folder:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-4-Debug-1-Intel.dmg

If the debug patch works, then I will add code to test if the Home folder is mounted and, if so, find another user-specific local folder to create the Unix domain socket file in (using the /var/tmp folder is deprecated by Apple so we are trying to move away from using that folder).

Patrick
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Tested on 2 different remote accounts, works like a charm.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject:

AHBLawyers wrote:
Tested on 2 different remote accounts, works like a charm.

OK. I will craft a more permanent fix that avoids use of the /var/tmp folder. When I have a more permanent fix (hopefully in the next few days), I will post a test patch that you can try.

BTW, even though NeoOffice 3.3 does not need Java to launch like NeoOffice 3.2.1 does, you may want to consider excluding /Library/Java from your anti-virus software as NeoOffice 3.3 still uses Java for Base databases and many third-party extensions also use Java.

Patrick
AHBLawyers
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all your help Patrick. Yah I already excluded those Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry

I think that I have successfully implemented a permanent fix that avoids use of the /var/tmp folder and works with mounted Home folders and Apple's Mac OS X sandbox restrictions.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if NeoOffice 3.3 launches without crashing? Also, can you install and remove extensions in the dialog displayed by the Tools :: Extensions Manager menu?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-4-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2