Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Currently selected color in color floating palettes?
Currently selected color in color floating palettes?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 4 Test 10 and I no longer get odd colours.

The font colour etc items in the >> menu when the window is too narrow now display the current colours correctly. However, as they don't display the palette, it is only possible to apply the current selection's colour to the current selection, which only has a visible effect when the current selection contains more than one font colour for example. Or with no selection, paint bucket mode is entered, again with the current cursor positions colour selected. This is a bit more useful.

From sardisson's post the failure to show the palette would appear to be an OOo bug (or possibly, feature!).

Thanks for getting this far Patrick.

Andy
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject:

I too have installed Patch 4 Test 10 and this is working just fine.
This is wonderful.
Thanks Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject:

I've been having a bit more of a think about how the colour menus work.

The previous (OpenOffice) behaviour was ideal for painting the same colour on different parts if a document:

1. Select some text.
2. Select a colour with the drop down.
3. Select some more text
4. Click the button
5. Repeat 3 & 4 to your hearts content.

In this mode it is ok that the palette doesn't appear when using the >> menu at the end of the toolbar as it simply applies the last colour selected from the palette. All is fine, until after you've chosen a second colour and can't remember what the first colour was.

The new (NeoOffice) behaviour now uses the button to show the current insertion point or selection colour, which is consistent with how the Font, Styles, Point Size, etc menus work, and the current colour is shown in the drop down. This makes it much easier (indeed trivial) to find out what colour some text is, but more laborious to colour a lot of discontiguous areas, but then that is what styles are for!

In this new mode, it would be helpful if the colour palette would drop from the Text Colour item in the >> menu when the window is too narrow, as without this it is only generally possible to apply the current selections colour to itself. But this was not the intention of the OpenOffice designers, so I suppose it may be technically very difficult to achieve. The lack of this feature is only an issue because Patrick (at our request) has changed how the toolbar buttons work. Also with the tendency towards wide screen monitors, how often are these buttons hidden?

Ok, enough rambling from me. I was just trying to work out why it now works as it does and thought it might be helpful to share. This is not a feature request, just me thinking out loud.

I know why it works the way it does now, so I'm happy!

Cheers,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject:

I think amayze has identified a very important problem: the changes that I have made in the test patches have caused loss of functionality in the color toolbar buttons.

I think in retrospect I should have limited my changes only to the color palette windows and I should not have changed the behavior of the toolbar buttons that the color palettes are attached to.

I am thinking that the safest course of action is to keep the new color palette functionality but back out the toolbar changes and restore the toolbar buttons' original functionality. The new color palette functionality will remain as the OpenOffice.org color palette code is actually completely separate from the toolbar button code.

So, in the next test patch that I post, clicking on the color toolbar buttons will apply the "default" color like it did before I started work on this new feature request. The color palette will display the selected content's color and clicking on any color in the color palette will, in most cases, set the matching toolbar button's default color to the selected palette color.

This situation is not ideal, but given the constraints that the OpenOffice.org code has imposed on us I am hopeful that the above plan gives users more functionality in the color palettes than they had before without having to take any functionality away.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I am thinking that the safest course of action is to keep the new color palette functionality but back out the toolbar changes and restore the toolbar buttons' original functionality. The new color palette functionality will remain as the OpenOffice.org color palette code is actually completely separate from the toolbar button code.

That sounds like a happy medium to me.

Thanks.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject:

In the following test patch, I have restored the original behavior when pressing the color toolbar buttons: each of the buttons will show a default color and then, when a different color is selected in its matching color palette, the default will be changed to that new color.

The color palette still does the new behavior of initially selecting the current applicable color in the document. Note, however, that after much investigation of NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code, I still cannot connect the following current color attributes to the applicable color palette. While not ideal, I feel that I have connected the most commonly used current color attributes to the color palettes.

- Highlight color
- Table row background color
- Table background color

Can anyone install the test patch and confirm that this problem is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-4-Test-12-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 4 Test 12 and it behaves as you described.

I think this is a good compromise.

Thanks again Patrick.

Yours,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject:

I finally figured out how to make the highlight color palette in Writer to behave like the font color palette and the background color palette.

Can anyone install the test patch and confirm that the highlight color palette shows the highlight color under the cursor in Writer?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-4-Test-13-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject:

Test 13 works for the highlight colour for me, but the Background colour button has become one big button which pops up the palette. See screen shots, I hope they're clear.

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Test 13 works for the highlight colour for me, but the Background colour button has become one big button which pops up the palette. See screen shots, I hope they're clear.

What you see is not a change and is normal OpenOffice.org behavior. The OpenOffice.org code does not support the drag and drop paint bucket feature so pressing that button shows the color palette instead of being pressed in.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I finally figured out how to make the highlight color palette in Writer to behave like the font color palette and the background color palette.

Can anyone install the test patch and confirm that the highlight color palette shows the highlight color under the cursor in Writer?:

Patrick

Works partially for me.

I get the correct hilite color but if I select in the palette the "no fill" color, then if I click on the hilite button, my text is hilited with the previous hilite color (maybe, this was also the case in the previous version, but I didn't check this case, and maybe this is normal behaviour, but it seems odd to me).

Regards
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
I get the correct hilite color but if I select in the palette the "no fill" color, then if I click on the hilite button, my text is hilited with the previous hilite color (maybe, this was also the case in the previous version, but I didn't check this case, and maybe this is normal behaviour, but it seems odd to me).

I can also reproduce this. I will investigate.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
What you see is not a change and is normal OpenOffice.org behavior. The OpenOffice.org code does not support the drag and drop paint bucket feature so pressing that button shows the color palette instead of being pressed in.

Patrick

Well that just shows how observant I am!

I can reproduce fmu's issue too.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject:

fmu wrote:

I think that I have fixed this. I found that this bug occurs in all versions of OpenOffice.org but I was able to fix it using by caching the last color set for the highlight toolbar button and then resetting the color to the cached color when the toolbar button is pressed.

Can anyone install the test patch and confirm that the Writer highlight toolbar button bug that fmu found is fixed?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-4-Test-15-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Looks good here. Fixes like this one, and the live word count fix really help NeoOffice to stand out, and to deliver the kind of features that Mac users expect. They may seem small details, but details count a lot in the user experience. Kudos to you Patrick for making this stuff just work! Cool
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3